gamepad question

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The deal is this, a friend of mine has a console and not PC. Can't persuade him to buy one, unless… So both me and him want to check if Crysis 2 looks/feel better on (my) PC than on (his) console.

Now since I couldn't care less for FPS I'll let him play, but then, I have to buy a gamepad. Which one's the best(buy) for PC? Don't go with some overexpensive pro pads please, I really don't plan to play games with it.

No need to rush with the answer (if there will be any at all) since I've ordered Crysis 2 retail on Amazon and that means weeks of shipment.

So both me and him want to check if Crysis 2 looks/feel better on (my) PC than on (his) console.

Well you should already know which platform it's going to look better on :)

As far as gamepads go, I like Logitech myself. They make a dual-analog gamepad that's a clone of the PS3 gamepad but not as expensive. I prefer that over the Xbox 360 controller.

The easiest solution is the windows version of the cordless MS XBox 360 gamepad. Almost every game supports it out of the box.

The cheapest way would be to install some piece of software which convinces the original PS3 gamepad to run on Win7. If you already have access to one of those, the cost is 0.

The easiest solution is the windows version of the cordless MS XBox 360 gamepad. Almost every game supports it out of the box.

Yes but that is not cheap solution.

@Joxer. One tip, if game doesn't support your,possibly mid range if I get it correctly, you can install x360ce which emulates MS Xbox 360 gamepad.

nameless cmon, it's about $50. You forgot I didn't buy a certain game, it's season pass and whatever comes next, thus I can spare some cash. ;)

Ty guys

I'm pretty sure the MS pad only supports the MS standard. Everything else is now 'outdated'. ;)

I'm pretty sure the MS pad only supports the MS standard. Everything else is now 'outdated'. ;)

Yes, DirectInput is outdated, but was unsure when Crysis 2 came out. (2007) Unsure if XInput works on older games, never tried it. Crysis 2 probably works only with XInput unless using DirectInput controller + x360ce

I meant that MS probably did what they used to do in the past: do their own thing and declare the rest 'non-standard'.

The problem with the Xbox 360 controller on Windows is that you need the wireless interface to USB, which isn't being sold anymore by MS, so you need a 3rd party one.
I got that to work on my HTPC though and also installed Xpadder, which allows to get any game or application to work with the controller.

Just make sure to buy a bundle which includes the USB dongle. It allows you to connect up to 4 gamepads. Have a look at the box shot on this page:
Amazon.de

As I understand it the gamepads are identical for XBox and PC, but you need one receiver to connect to the PC. Maybe somebody else knows it for sure.

I bought the wired version for $20 off amazon. Buying the wireless version and accessories is a rip-off.

Ty Gorath, I'm waiting till someone clarifies I don't need an extra thing for it. Or says that I do. But anyway I've planned to order it from amazon.de anyway (ships to my country unlike .com), I've used the .com link as the language is english. ;)

Couch, the money isn't a problem, as I've said, I've saved a bit by refusing to give a dime to Irrational Games. So a fancy wireless version will be a better bait to get a console player switch to PC. ;)
The plan is to install the crap FPS on laptop, connect it over HDMI to a huge display in a local bar (yea, I know the owner) and then do the rampage from oppisite side of the river outside of the object watching the action through the window. :D
Luckily Crysis is FPS so pressing random keypresses should do the trick, binoculars not needed.

Last edited:
I looked it up. The version I ordered last November is product number B004JU0JSA. That's the one I posted, I think. It was a retail pack as in the 2nd picture, with pad and receiver.

TCouch, the money isn't a problem, as I've said, I've saved a bit by refusing to give a dime to Irrational Games. So a fancy wireless version will be a better bait to get a console player switch to PC. ;)

Well then if he is a console player then the wireless version is the one to get. :) I'm not picky myself and so I don't mind few wires. To bad they stopped selling them direct as Myrthos said.

Not sure why your buying a controller at all if you just want to show him what it's like. Borrow a wired Xbox360 controller, plug it in to your computer and play.

As far as wireless, they sell a wireless Xbox360 controller for windows. I bought one come with everything you need.

I use it in sleeping dogs only to drive, I do everything else with keyboard and mouse then when I get in a vehicle I grab the controller it automatically switches then when I'm done driving I put it down and use the mouse and keyboard again and it automatically switches back. Pretty slick actually.

Why am I buying... because I have enough money for it.
And why I have enough money I think I've explained. :)
If this was EA or Irrational games or Apple phones forum I'd change my avatar into my naked torso and undertext it with "you can't milk those".

Back
Top Bottom