BioWare - DA3 in 2014 on new consoles?

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Not surprisingly, the original link has disappeared so take this as rumour. Gamers Hell reports EA Shanghai designer Tao Gu claimed Dragon Age 3 has slipped to 2014 - according to his now-gone Linked In profile. Supposedly the game is being changed to next-next-gen consoles:
Tao Gu, a game designer at EA Shanghai has updated his LinkedIn profile saying that Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, has been delayed to 2014 and will arrive on next-gen platforms: "Scope of the DAIII has been chaged, which will target next gen platform and will be postpone to 2014."
More information.

Heh, only a few days ago I said this would happen in the "2013 RPG drought" thread. It would surprise me a whole lot to see DA3 in 2013.

Yes Maylander you were right and I agree more rpg's will be pushed back just watch.

This is a marketing ploy that's all to get more money as a debut title on next gen consoles. I bet it will still be March 2014 as Bioware and EA love that month due to there fiscal year.

In the meantime people can enjoy there games with rpg mechanics added to them instead.:p

I hope they go back to their DA1 roots. DA1 is the best game I've played in years, I loved it. DA2 I couldn't even get thru the demo .....

When it comes out, I'll look at the player reviews and make a decision. Until then I find it difficult to care about Bioware product. I've got plenty to occupy my RPG gaming time in 2013 even if no new AAA RPGs come out that year, because my backlog is ginormous. (The fact that I let myself get sucked into playing the Assassin's Creed console games I'd avoided previously isn't helping.)

This might not be calendar 2014, but fiscal 2014 which for EA is 1 Apr 2013 to 31 Mar 2014. Either way, not likely to alleviate any drought.

I work in marketing and I simply cannot understand the logic of delaying things for making a splash in a new console; the actual consoles have a huge installed costumer base already and you are likely to see at least 7 mil i sales for the new GTA5 because of that. Even if they announce the new consoles around CES and release on next years Xmas they wouldn't have a installed base of users of even 15 million by mid 2014...I can understand it for titles such as Fallout 4, which makes a lot of business sense but Bioware´s credibility is on the dumps right now and they think they could compete with Bethesdsa o the new consoles? not bloody likely

Given how limited in terms of technological scope Bioware games have been so far it seems unlikely they will be doing it for the hardware.

Debut titles on new consoles have HUGE sales which is the only reason they need to delay it.

Well, they used to all have huge sales. I am not so sure any more. With current consoles still doing well I am not sure the demand for the new ones will be so great right away.

You work in marketing and you can't understand the concept of co-op advertising?
I understand the costumer base concept better baby; and it so simple it can be explained in terms you can understand.
If you have a installed costumer base of say 50 milion PS3 and 360, and you release your product for them in a now mainstream genre such as RPG or FPS you are bound to get a pretty good chuck of the market, maybe a 30% to 35%, so that means arround 20 milion copies sold.
If you release a new console (at least loking at $500 for one of those) where it a know fact that the people buying it buy at least 1 to 2 games to actualy play something too, then yeah you are looking at some great sell numbers…but only if you are an AAA title like Fallout 4, Metal Gear, Madden or Call of Duty. Hell I even bought my PS3 because MGS4 was an exclusive; that is the power of co-op advertising "Buy a PS3 if you want play MGS4"
Now…Dragon Age used to be a AAA title but despite good sales, the game was a critical failure for EA and it tarnished enough the Bioware brand as to have Mythic remove the Bioware title form their studio too, so they are not in a position of power.
This is not rocket science and for an example of a company benefiting of power of an instal base, its AAA franchise and the dearth of big time titles for next year, look no further than Rockstar with GTA5.
The will laugh all the way to the bank with 20 milion sales easy and in 3 more years when the next gen consoles have a somewhat decent costumer base they might release their next title.
You dont have to agree with any of that; it is not a matter of opinion, just simple fact…and if you think you know better than Rockstar then you belong in the Codex

I understand the costumer base concept better baby; and it so simple it can be explained in terms you can understand.
If you have a installed costumer base of say 50 milion PS3 and 360, and you release your product for them in a now mainstream genre such as RPG or FPS you are bound to get a pretty good chuck of the market, maybe a 30% to 35%, so that means arround 20 milion copies sold.
If you release a new console (at least loking at $500 for one of those) where it a know fact that the people buying it buy at least 1 to 2 games to actualy play something too, then yeah you are looking at some great sell numbers…but only if you are an AAA title like Fallout 4, Metal Gear, Madden or Call of Duty. Hell I even bought my PS3 because MGS4 was an exclusive; that is the power of co-op advertising "Buy a PS3 if you want play MGS4"
Now…Dragon Age used to be a AAA title but despite good sales, the game was a critical failure for EA and it tarnished enough the Bioware brand as to have Mythic remove the Bioware title form their studio too, so they are not in a position of power.
This is not rocket science and for an example of a company benefiting of power of an instal base, its AAA franchise and the dearth of big time titles for next year, look no further than Rockstar with GTA5.
The will laugh all the way to the bank with 20 milion sales easy and in 3 more years when the next gen consoles have a somewhat decent costumer base they might release their next title.
You dont have to agree with any of that; it is not a matter of opinion, just simple fact…and if you think you know better than Rockstar then you belong in the Codex

5-6 million units is a pretty big hit for Bioware, if you look at their past games, they have never released any huge blockbuster titles.

It's possible they might port the game to current gen consoles as well, but not if they want a piece of the marketing spend from the console manufacturers. New games drive console sales, not hardware specs. These manufacturers need a big line-up of next gen titles to persuade consumers to buy one.

Last edited:
Given how limited in terms of technological scope Bioware games have been so far it seems unlikely they will be doing it for the hardware.

Say what? I'm pretty sure they do pretty good on the technological scope.

Say what? I'm pretty sure they do pretty good on the technological scope.
I can't think of any of their games being technologically impressive or giving the impression that better hardware would have contributed to a significant degree.

Guys Bioware is NOT Bethesda; nobody is giving the money upfront for exclusives. and how much cash would that be anyway? its not like Dragon Age is MGS4 or Halo and it is going to help them sell their systems.
Of the nextgen titles I think only games like God of War, Halo, Metal Gear, Zelda and maybe Uncharted have enough punch to have people buy a system just to play their game, much like Some of us did with FF7 or me buying a brand new system for Skyrim

I don't see how releasing a title on a new system is anything but good for Bioware. I'm now even more interested in seeing what this game is going to be like since it will likely be one of the first RPGs to come out for the next gen consoles. I think this was a good move by Bioware.

I think you might be a bit confused buddy; Bioware doesnt make decisions anymore EA does. And now that you mention it Bethesda games usualy have a development cycle of arround 4 years, so from a consumer stand point pitting Fallout 4 and Dragon Age 3 in 2014 is going to be a bit of an unfair fight and honestly after really liking Origins I dont have much hope for this franchise anymore

Guys Bioware is NOT Bethesda; nobody is giving the money upfront for exclusives.

I have no idea if this rumour is true or not but assuming DA3 is in a position to be a launch title for a next-next-gen console, I have no doubt Microsoft would enthusiastically discuss exclusivity.

No, it's not Halo, but you need a range of genres for a good launch.

Back
Top Bottom