The pot closet

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Coming out of it was made possible by Colorado:
http://news.yahoo.com/parents-come-pot-closet-104500341—politics.html

Sadly in my country that stuff is still illegal and I have keep it hidden (yea I have some with me in my pocket saved for later). Why is it illegal everywhere in the first place? It's stuff provided by nature and not some chemical product by farmaceutics industry. Can someone explain to me apart from the stinky smoke what's so bad and dangerous when it comes weed?

IMO Colorado got it right. Put it as a legal product, make ppl pay taxes on it, stop the mob getting rich by smuggling it on the black market and thus boost the economy.

Hopefully all will understand I'm talking pro only towards a certain plant. Nature provides. I don't think any kind of chems is a positive thing, I don't use pills even when ill and despise consuming anything artificial. Oh, and I'd rather die out of starvation than eat any of Monsanto crap.

Left-wing people claim that cannabis had been forbidden because it just cannot be patented, and thus cannot be protected for use by commercial firms for for example making clothes etc. .

Interestingly, the Wikipedia article doesn't mention the use of cannabis for making clothes / cloth at all. Nevertheless, the use of it for cloth was in use more than hundred years ago, especially for making ropes / chords. The use of that plant as a gasket ? seal ? for water pipes was common long ago. I have seen such a … gasket ? seal ? don't know the right technical term … in use at the end of an water pipline when I was young. I don't remember anymore what kind of plant was used there, however (I was too young to tell anyway).

Edit : The Wikipedia article files the use of cannabis for making clothes under "hemp", whatever this means.

Antibiotics are natural, in that they are synthesized by organisms. Still I'm not sure why one would choose drugs on this basis. What actually works would seem to be a better criteria. Plus a lot of natural compounds are actually deadly poisonous.

Left-wing people claim that cannabis had been forbidden because it just cannot be patented, and thus cannot be protected for use by commercial firms for for example making clothes etc. .

Interestingly, the Wikipedia article doesn't mention the use of cannabis for making clothes / cloth at all. Nevertheless, the use of it for cloth was in use more than hundred years ago, especially for making ropes / chords. The use of that plant as a gasket ? seal ? for water pipes was common long ago. I have seen such a … gasket ? seal ? don't know the right technical term … in use at the end of an water pipline when I was young. I don't remember anymore what kind of plant was used there, however (I was too young to tell anyway).

Edit : The Wikipedia article files the use of cannabis for making clothes under "hemp", whatever this means.
Yep, plumbers used to use hemp rope as a gasket material. It was even called "pipe dope".

The main reason it is illegal in most western countries is because of its many possible applications that would negatively affect already entrenched industries with significant lobbying powers.
After all here we have a cheap abundant product that anyone could produce which in addition to its medicinal properties could replace many plastic and cloth products.
Obviously it would be madness to legalize it.
And in the case of America it is the number 1 excuse to lock people (read minorities) up in privatized prisons where they can be utilised as slave labor.

I was with you until that last swing, Biff. I'm all for a good conspiracy theory, but at that point, you clearly gave reality a punt.

A few fun facts:
Per capita the number of drug users is the same for both the black and white population (13%). Black people comprise 13% of the population and yet they make up 38% of those arrested for drugs and over 60% of those convicted for drug violations.
In other words a black man is 10 times more likely to be sentenced for the same drug law violation as a white man.
The privatized prisons are a multi billion dollar industry that offer cheap labor to a variety of industries ranging from signs and license plates to electronics.
The icing on the cake is that all the profit go to the corporations operating the prisons while the cost of the inmates are subsidized by taxpayer money.
The prison industry spend millions every year lobbying for harsher sentencing and as a result Usa has 5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners.
This is not a "conspiracy theory" but easily available facts.

Last edited:
Let's review the concept of "slave labor", shall we? The criminals (and we'll skip over the fact that they're criminals to give you every advantage here) volunteer to join the work details and they get paid for doing it. Not exactly "slaves", but don't let that get in the way of some perfectly good hyperbole.

Further, if you can't be bothered to acknowledge that your statistics (which, in the interest of giving you every advantage, I won't challenge for references) do a fine job of ignoring the numerous factors making up your numbers in favor of shock value, then we'll have a hard time getting anywhere.

If you consider 25c an hour pay then yes they are "paid" and whether they can be considered criminals or not is debatable.
And no they are not always volunteers given choice regarding work, there is such a thing as being sentenced to hard labor.
If the only choices presented were staring at a cell wall all day or working which would you choose?
There is a guy named Timothy Jackson serving life in prison for stealing a jacket would that ever happen to a white man?
People incarserated for years if not life over misdemeanors then used for cheap labor at well below minimum wage IS slavery.
Just what "numerous factors" am i ignoring exactly?

Timothy:
http://www.blackyouthproject.com/2013/11/timothy-jackson-serving-life-for-stealing-a-159-jacket/

A few more examples of the same:
http://www.alternet.org/civil-liber...fe-without-parole-non-violent-crimes?page=0,1

No. I want to know why I can't smoke my weed legally. The one I grow in the backyard.

Keep your homemade laboratory drugs and explanations about it to yourself.

Mixing capitalism and addictive substances is really a bad idea, IMHO. Doing so creates more necessities. The USA is already pretty much hooked on caffeine and that's not even terribly addictive. There's no way Pepsi and Coke would be even remotely as popular as they are without it, never mind Starbucks.

If you make this stuff legal, I think companies will start spiking their products with it. They will get millions of people hooked and those people will suddenly find that they NEED to get their fix.

(Sheesh, I'm trying to look up just how addictive THCs are and what the withdraw affects are but the internet is a mess on this subject. "Truth is the first casualty of war" indeed.)

No. I want to know why I can't smoke my weed legally. The one I grow in the backyard.

Keep your homemade laboratory drugs and explanations about it to yourself.

Sorry have never smoked anything or taken any drugs recreationally and haven't drank in years.

So this would be your area of expertise.

You may what to check this out especially the parts about what it does to your brain.

http://www.abovetheinfluence.com/facts/drugsmarijuana

Weed is thought to be less harmful than alcohol. Is it? No, is it equally harmful as alcohol maybe. And people use that as an argument. Ever been the child of an alcoholic? Think that is an excuse for weed? That should be argument enough, but really how many people have been beaten by their alcoholic parent, how many people have been molested by an alcoholic parent. True weed is not worse than alcohol, but does that mean that we should embrace it?
And P.S. Hemp rope is poor quality.

Back
Top Bottom