RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2012 Awards

If KoA wins any GotY's it would be pretty ironic. I could see Schilling rolling his eyes over something like that while cutting a vitamin supplement ad with MC Hammer.

:rotfl:

Thanks for the laugh, that article is ridiculous!

and the article ends with this ??????

But minor flaws aside, by the time the end credits rolled, I was emotionally exhausted and simultaneously stunned that a game could change the way I have always played. Dishonored is that rare game that takes the best of suspense novels and action movies and crafts them into the interactive experience. There is no need for number crunching or debates over ideal character builds. It is role-playing at its story-driven finest and Arkane has created a formula worth emulating

I really liked Dishonored but it was nothing different to me. Now if you replace the game of Dishonored with the game "The Walking Dead" in that article. . . now that is a game the exhausts you and the Walking Dead game is just barely gamey. But the story is so interactive and well written, I can barely play for more than an hour before I am just wrung out.

I always play a good guy when I game, I even played Dishonored in low-chaos because for me that was the right thing to do. But in Walking dead you gotta do some bad things as a good guy just to survive. Without knowing, I have intuited the ending of the Walking dead and I am dreading the moment . . .

I really liked Dishonored but it was nothing different to me. Now if you replace the game of Dishonored with the game "The Walking Dead" in that article. . . now that is a game the exhausts you and the Walking Dead game is just barely gamey. But the story is so interactive and well written, I can barely play for more than an hour before I am just wrung out.

I always play a good guy when I game, I even played Dishonored in low-chaos because for me that was the right thing to do. But in Walking dead you gotta do some bad things as a good guy just to survive. Without knowing, I have intuited the ending of the Walking dead and I am dreading the moment . . .

I purchased The Walking Dead just now after reading that. :)

I was already thinking of getting it, and reading your praise put me over the edge. It was 50% off on Amazon Digital anyways, and today is the last day of the sale.

Not sure when I'll actually play it, as I have quite a few games in queue right now. It looks like the kind of game I can play simultaneously with something else though.

Concerning Dishonored, I thought it was fantastic. Much better than Dark Messiah of M&M and almost as good as Arx Fatalis for me. I also finished it in low-chaos, although I must admit I was a tad disappointed with the last mission and end-game.

I wonder what thought process led to Krater and Inquisitor being placed in the regular list, but Legend of Grimrock amongst indies. A separate indies list should have been scrapped altogether imo.
The process for this year was in the General RPG forums where I've showed the lists and asked for suggestions, what should and should not be on them.

As to having a separate indie category that is because of the many comments we received in previous years that indie games would never win when combined with non-indie games, so last year we already separated the two.

As to having a separate indie category that is because of the many comments we received in previous years that indie games would never win when combined with non-indie games, so last year we already separated the two.

hmmm, I don't know if that would continue to be true in the years ahead. The indie games seem to be getting a bigger and bigger share of the releases, while retail space of AAA RPGs is minimal at best. Many Gamestops only have a few shelves for all computer games. My Best Buy no longer has an RPG section just a PC section. And I am dreading going into my local Frys. It might not be too long before it might be hard to come up with 10 quality AAA games to put on the year end AAA list.

But the one reason I like having two catergories is because we get to have TWO winners.

And JDR - you need to get to playing Walking Dead ASAP, its a short game and for many gamers (not me) each episode (5 in total) takes about 2 hours. I'm a completist so you can't go by me.

Wow, this is a hard year to vote, but for all the wrong reasons when it comes to big budget titles. I voted Kings Bounty as #1 and X-com as #2. However I consider neither of those an actual RPG, especially not X-com. And even if I actually liked the game it doesn't hold a candle to the original, so I got my hopes on Xenonauts now. Still can't vote on that as my most anticipated RPG though (if it was on the list), because it's most definitly not a RPG.

Most anticipated? Wasteland 2 followed by Shadowrun returns. If even one of those delivers I expect this to be the best year for RPG-games in a decade, if both of them and some of the others on the list delivers to expectation it will be the best year for RPG's. Ever.

My favorite game of 2012 - Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Runner-up - Xenoblade Chronicles

Most anticipated - Sacred 3

It's beyond me how anyone could have voted for Kingdoms of Amalur.

Quite easily as the Rpg genre was pretty thin last year.

Kingdoms of Amalur was one of the best games I've ever played. Easily one of the best RPGs ever. Easily.

It's beyond me how anyone could not like Kingdoms of Amalur.

Kingdoms of Amalur was one of the best games I've ever played. Easily one of the best RPGs ever. Easily.

Yeah, I think most of us already know you're a big fan. :)

I'm pretty sure you realize you're in the minority with that opinion though.

I might be in the minority on this site, but the game received mostly positive critical acclaim overall and many consider it a great game.

Yeah, it got decent ratings from the so-called critics, around 80% average, but the average user review was around 6/10.

It's a mediocre game any way you look at it. Well, for most of us anyways. I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as you did though.

I might be in the minority on this site, but the game received mostly positive critical acclaim overall and many consider it a great game.

I can't understand how can someone consider KoA great game,combat is mediocore compared to similar type games(Darksriders,DMC),empty world with MMO like map and quests and lack of challenge(I died only 2 time on hard during whole game).I think game is far behind Darksriders 2 which is similar but in nearly all ways better,very good level, puzzles and bosses design,combat is miles ahead,artwork is also good with very detailed models,dialogs and characters are also decent(especially main character).I consider KoA my worst spent money in 2012.

I can't understand how can someone consider KoA great game,combat is mediocore compared to similar type games(Darksriders,DMC),empty world with MMO like map and quests and lack of challenge(I died only 2 time on hard during whole game).I think game is far behind Darksriders 2 which is similar but in nearly all ways better,very good level, puzzles and bosses design,combat is miles ahead,artwork is also good with very detailed models,dialogs and characters are also decent(especially main character).I consider KoA my worst spent money in 2012.

Well, sucks for you I guess.

Maybe you have to adjust your perception a bit. I don't consider any games I've purchased recently "worst spent money".

Maybe gaming isn't for you.

Back
Top Bottom