Blackguards - Available today

It is definitely easier then KB:TL or AP, at least on normal difficulty. And, on average, I'd say battles aren't as long, either. There is one optional arena fight that took a long time though (the second one with the lice and gates). However, the maps are generally larger, and there are more maps with puzzle elements, and interactive fixtures, which make them more interesting, to me at least.

EDIT: It's not all combat. I should add that I really like the armor equipment options. There's separate kinds and pieces for head, body, hands, feet (and shield), which you can mix and match to your heart's content to optimize specific kinds of protection, initiative, parry, or armor rating. The stats update right on the inventory screen (with just hovering, not equipping) so it makes it easy to compare.

There is some local C&C. But I think more consequences will show up in later chapters. But that's a guess.

Last edited:
well, im loving banner saga ). i think id rather replay it than try something underpar

Banner Saga didn't grab me. Some of the combat videos and (sad to say this again) cartoonish graphics turned me off. I should give it another look though.

There is some local C&C. But I think more consequences will show up in later chapters. But that's a guess.

The message accompanying the review version stressed that there are a lot of C&C, often with consequences far down the line, additional quest lines, etc. And in the reddit thing multiple endings were mentioned.

This is what they claim. I'm not sure. Maybe they should have made it more visible.

OK, that's where I got it from. I've had no direct experience to verify that though. Still in chapter 3. But there did seem to be some choices with unresolved loose ends (like the Druid quest). So I'm optimistic, perhaps foolishly.

Patches can and do provide enhancements, as well as "address the various issues mentioned in the reviews".

Which issues do you mean?

OK, that's where I got it from. I've had no direct experience to verify that though. Still in chapter 3. But there did seem to be some choices with unresolved loose ends (like the Druid quest). So I'm optimistic, perhaps foolishly.

A very obvious example is
the first beggar you see. Give him a couple of coins and he'll tell you about a location.

Not really. I was referring to long term C&C across chapters. I know about the little local C&C within the same node (like the beggar). That is easy try out and see the differences, unlike the long term C&C.

EDIT: BTW, I thin Alpha Protocol and Witcher 2 are the winners for best C&C. I will be pleasantly surprised if Blackguards has half as meaningful C&C. By chapter 3 most of the C&C has been very shallow and minor. We'll see…

Last edited:
Banner Saga didn't grab me. Some of the combat videos and (sad to say this again) cartoonish graphics turned me off. I should give it another look though.

I've played Banner Saga: Factions, which was (just) a free prerelease PVP Demo and I didn't liked it. Can't say exactly why. Blackguards is far more better IMO.

FYI:
I found an AMA on Reddit. Pretty interesting read: http://de.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1vuvzb/iama_developer_of_blackguards_daedalic/

BTW: they raffle 40k keys for Chains of Satinav. If you like Point& Click Adventures you chould take a look on this gem as well.

Back
Top Bottom