A new USB-based DAC for hifi

hishadow

Level N+1
Any audio experts on this forum? My 8-year EMU USB-based soundcard has said farewell to me. It powers on but like a zombie its existence is pretty pointless when the circuitry doesn't work.

For my new DAC I'd like:
- USB-based so that my computer detects it as an audio device.
- Be a pre-amplifier.
- Line volume dial.
- Balanced outputs.
- High quality conversion.

I'm currently looking at Hegel and Emotiva but I'm sure there are other brands to consider. Suggestions on particular models would be greatly appreciated.

A DAC is a digital to analog converter.
In this case it would convert the sound card's digital signal signals to analogue ones which I assume would be played through some high fidelity speakers.

The reason for a preamplifier is usually to amplify a signal in such a way so that the gain loss that happens from the conversion is minimised with the least amount of distortion a.
Or at least that what I remember from my telecoms lessons.

Don't know if the above helps anyone...

Hegel ? After the German Philosopher ? Lol, I didn't know that technical devices are named after Philosophers ... :lol:

@joxer: I avoid noname brands when it comes to hifi. Its too difficult to assess the quality of them. I much rather prefer a well reviewed one.

@Pladio: I want mine to be both a DAC and a pre-amplifier. Then I just need an amplifier.

@Alrik: The name Hegel came from a rock-metal band its founder played in - The Hegel Band. No idea where they got the idea from…

Here's how its gonna be connected:
PC (2$ range) -> DAC (integrated soundcard) -> Amplifier (1000$ range,100-125 watt) -> Speakers (1500$ range, 200 watt)

Pladio I have DAC because my TV has only optical output and I can't plug wireless headphones directly into TV so I had to buy DAC.
This is the one I got (and from that online shop since it's in my country):
http://www.conrad.hr/?websale8=conrad-hr&pi=424379

But it's not DAC he wants, that's why I asked for details. And he provided them. And I can't suggest anything in this case as I've never bought speakers that cost 1500$. :D

Back
Top Bottom