Activision hires Lobbyists to defend violent games

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Hello,

now, gaming becomes political.

According to an news article I found via the German gaming magazine site of "PC Games", ActiVision is seemingly hiring Lobbyists to support their stance on violence in games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/activi...bying-firm-as-violent-game-bill-brews-6414209

Original article, according to the one above :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d44bac-165e-11e3-804b-d3a1a3a18f2c_story.html

What makes me wonder why they felt they had to send in any Lobbyist at all ? Facts should speak for themselves, no ?

And this seems to be linked to it as well : http://www.gamespot.com/news/consumer-group-launches-campaign-against-game-research-bill-6412589

I find this quote quite astonishing :

Entertainment Consumers Association says Senator Rockefeller's Violent Content Research Act is a "distraction to finding the real cause" of mass shootings.

Then, why isn't this Entertainment Consumers Association looking for the real causes, then ?

Anyway, no matter what one thinks about games and violence - to try to influence a side is something that imho shouldn't be done at all. All of this Lobbyism is imho BS.

Alrik

If you're thinking the people desperately wanting to blame games for violence don't have their own lobbyists throwing money around Capitol Hill, you're sadly mistaken.

Yep, not least the NRA. Guns don't kill people, games do. And before that it was rappers, films, rock music. Whatever the youth enjoy and the politicians fail to understand.

I remember reading somewhere there is sixteen lobbyists for every one politician. Sadly I don't see an end to this anytime soon.

When I was a young 'un, BB and pellet guns were the gateway weapons to machineguns. The song remains the same, find someone new to blame. On the other hand, it did lead me to become quite proficient with an Italian shotgun, which I like to keep close at hand for mosquitos, and such.

-Carn

If you're thinking the people desperately wanting to blame games for violence don't have their own lobbyists throwing money around Capitol Hill, you're sadly mistaken.

At least I didn't learn about them via the press.

I don't fear for my violent games. I strongly doubt that our prisons are full of passionate gamers.

That's of course speaking objectively. I don't doubt that you can construe causalities like:

people with gaming consoles or PC gamers spend more time alone and indoors

--> people are often more reclusive prior to being aggressive

=> gamers are potentially aggressive.

If you remove all the violence from games and really stop younger than 20 to buy those games the game market will collapse and this will a disaster for USA. So I don't worry much about all this blah blah and agitation, it's just fake for demagogy.

Even if there's really a link then it will be hidden in a way or another.

Back
Top Bottom