How Valve runs its business

blatantninja

Resident Redneck Facist
Thought this was pretty interesting. Definitely a different structure for sure.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-27/why-there-are-no-bosses-at-valve#p1

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-04-25/what-makes-valve-software-the-shangri-la-of-offices

The Good
There are no managers or bosses at Valve. Even Valve co-founder Gabe Newell isn’t directly in charge of anyone. “Of all the people at this company who aren’t your boss, Gabe is the MOST not your boss, if you get what we’re saying,” the handbook says. Every Valve employee has hiring capabilities, as well as the power to greenlight an idea. Employees are encouraged to work on their own projects and jump on any others that interest them. It’s basically the Montessori version of running a company. Somehow, this results in completed projects and top-notch video games.

Valve has a company gym, company massage rooms, and free Stumptown coffee. Employees are not expected to work overtime. And once a year, the company takes all its employees and their families on a “tropical” vacation.

The Bad
Discarding weak links. Because there’s no hierarchical structure, Valve admits that “a poor hiring decision can cause lots of damage, and can sometimes go unchecked for too long.” But the company adds, “Ultimately, people who cause damage always get weeded out.” The handbook also admits that the lack of structure makes it hard for people to develop mentors.

I thought this was hilarious:

Rock music and hair metal are played in the company bathrooms. “You’ll never be able to relieve yourself again unless someone hums Rock You Like a Hurricane,” Valve says.

Rock music and hair metal are played in the company bathrooms. “You’ll never be able to relieve yourself again unless someone hums Rock You Like a Hurricane,” Valve says.

Hair metal?? Yeeech!!!!

pibbur who had to put on A Sight to Behold (Gojira). because of this. AND Oroborous (Gojira)..

P.: Interesting read, btw. DS.

Cool office.

Seriously though.. whatever happened to Episode 3 of Half-Life 2? I've lost a lot of respect for Valve because of that. They've seemingly abandoned the franchise that made them who they are.

Well, if you read the article there is no boss to make sure it gets released......

I'd be the first to support a work environment like that, but I can't say I'm impressed by the result.

I liked Half Life a lot - and I thought Half Life 2 was technically amazing. However, that's the last game from Valve that I thought was worthy of much attention.

They do know how to earn money, though, so if you're into that sort of thing - I suppose they're getting something in return for a flat structure.

But I can't help but imagine what kind of game could be made with that kind of resources, and that kind of creative freedom. I can only conclude that the people working there aren't particularly ambitious when it comes to design evolution.

Back
Top Bottom