What did you buy during the Fall sales?

JDR - Why did you buy Fable 3 and DLC for 17 bucks? Are you ill?

KoA?

Well, it's Microsoft, so that's probably as cheap as I'll ever get it. At normal price, that's about $65 worth of stuff. I don't have high expectations, but I just want to see what Albion is like with some steampunk flavor added in. Besides, it has Michael Fassbender. :)

As far as KoA, we talked about it recently if you recall. I'm gonna give it a shot as an action-adventure and not try to pretend it's a serious RPG.

That said, I just bought the deluxe edition of Far Cry 3 for 42 Euro.

Are you ill?

Nice haul JDR.
I was kinda looking at War of the Roses and the Chivalry game but decided since I am more of a singleplayer gamer to go with Mount and Blade:The complete Collection. All games came in at around 17 bucks. Very happy gamer here. I really wanted to play the LOTR mod but I guess it uses an older build and I'm screwed until they update it.
With Baldur's Gate:EE and the Steam sale coming next month it looks like I need an extra monitor for all the icons on my desktop.

Well, it's Microsoft, so that's probably as cheap as it'll ever get. I don't have high expectations, but I just want to see what Albion is like with some steampunk flavor added in. Besides, it has Michael Fassbender. :)

As far as KoA, we talked about it recently if you recall. I'm gonna give it a shot as an action-adventure and not try to pretend it's a serious RPG.

When you play KOA don't explore to far ahead. Each area locks when you enter it based on your level.

For example Ettinmere has a level range of 3-13. So if you enter at level 1 it will lock at level 3. It will not change again so if you come back at level 13 you will still get level 3 monsters.

The highest level range on the first continent is 11-25. So if you explored every area before level 11 effectively the entire first Continent is stuck at level 11 or lower.

I made the mistake of exploring the first continent at a low level and just about every area locked at its lowest level. Resulting in the game being way to easy. It was supposed to be open world so I just started exploring everywhere like I do in all open world games but that's not really an option unless you don't care about difficulty.

Too bad too because the combat is the best part of the game unless you ruin it by exploring.

I believe there was a mod to fix this but don't quote me on it.

Neil(of Two World 2 modding fame) made a great mod for KOA that runs in the background. The standalone editor is easy to use and you can set some simple parameters before you run it. KOA's website went down when the company went belly up but the mod can be found here.

http://amalurfoundry.com/2012-03/mod-spotlight-heartcore-difficulty-mod/

It really ups the difficulty.

Trick question? No, I like open world games - and Far Cry 3 looks great :)

It is an open world game with AI and shooting, ticked many boxes for me and the Insane Edition (PC) is on its way. Far Cry 2 multiplayer was the only one that I played and enjoyed as well (with standard and custom maps), so looking forward to FC3 multiplayer and co-op.

When you play KOA don't explore to far ahead. Each area locks when you enter it based on your level.

For example Ettinmere has a level range of 3-13. So if you enter at level 1 it will lock at level 3. It will not change again so if you come back at level 13 you will still get level 3 monsters.

The highest level range on the first continent is 11-25. So if you explored every area before level 11 effectively the entire first Continent is stuck at level 11 or lower.

I made the mistake of exploring the first continent at a low level and just about every area locked at its lowest level. Resulting in the game being way to easy. It was supposed to be open world so I just started exploring everywhere like I do in all open world games but that's not really an option unless you don't care about difficulty.

Too bad too because the combat is the best part of the game unless you ruin it by exploring.

I believe there was a mod to fix this but don't quote me on it.
Thanks for the tip - I would have totally run into that problem because I'm an avid explorer type, especially in open-world games. That's a disappointing design choice they made.

Avadon: The Black Fortress.
Borderlands 2.
Hitman: Blood Money.
Mark of the Ninja & The Sith Lords.

Does it ask if you want to enter a new region when you reach the border, or do you transition without any kind of warning?

I like open world games - and Far Cry 3 looks great :)

Just don't look too hard. ;)

I like open-world games as well, but I'm already seeing things in FC3 that are setting off the warning bells in my head. Have you watched the gameplay video in the other thread? The world looks great, but there are some very questionable design decisions imo. In short, it's looking a bit too "arcadish" for me.

Thanks for the tip - I would have totally run into that problem because I'm an avid explorer type, especially in open-world games. That's a disappointing design choice they made.

I'm totally the opposite. I try to 'finish' the area I'm in before moving to the next area. Guess that's why I don't see the awesomeness of open games like Gothic, Skyrim, Fallout, etc.

Does it ask if you want to enter a new region when you reach the border, or do you transition without any kind of warning?
You must gather your party before venturing forth? <evil grin>

No, but it has that "WOW style" narrow passes between each area, so it is easy to tell roughly where one area ends and another begins (unlike WOW, the transition is far less jarring though, you walk from one foresty area, to another foresty area, only this one is slightly less foresty than the last, thus the world feels a lot more coherent, though you do end up seeing a lot of foresty areas in a row)

Just don't look too hard. ;)

I like open-world games as well, but I'm already seeing things in FC3 that are setting off the warning bells in my head. Have you watched the gameplay video in the other thread? The world looks great, but there are some very questionable design decisions imo. In short, it's looking a bit too "arcadish" for me.

I've watched several videos. I'm not expecting a hardcore simulator - but more like an evolved Far Cry 2 - which I also really liked. They did away with the horrible respawning mechanic (my main issue with FC2) - and they've introduced a skill tree and focused more on stealth elements.

To me, it looks exactly like the kind of shooter I prefer. I like shooting things, but I hate being pushed through linear corridors and I adore non-linear freeform gameplay. I also happen to really like a well told story - just as long as I can choose when to progress and I don't feel caged in by it. This also seems to be the case with Far Cry 3.

But I'm not expecting a miracle. Few games are, by the way :)

What, exactly, is it about Far Cry 3 that you turns you off?

Back
Top Bottom