Risen If you enjoy Risen and haven't played Gothic 2...

I think most of us see the parallels, and many of us have ranked Risen as below G2+NotR and G1, but above G3. Well, I have certainly ...

Forsaken Gods<G3<…<G2<Risen<G1<NotR

If you like Risen you'll like old Gothics and if u liked old Gothic you will like Risen.

Looking at the screenshots for Velaya Mod recently made me want to reinstall G2+NotR sooo badly…

Need….more….time….

I always have the urge to play Gothic 2. I'm constantly jonesing for it. But I try to play and it's just no good. I'm just too familiar with it. I get to Khorinis and muck about there for a bit and I'm so bored. But I so want to play. It's really frustrating.

G2 or G2 Gold?

I haven't yet fully played Risen, but some parts. I also got the same feeling compared with G2+NOTR ie great but not as amazing, not sure for G1 (that I played after G2+NOTR), for G3 it doesn't worth much the comparison as it is very low in CRPG list sorted by enjoyment taken.

I don't know what will be my final feeling but I quote points better in Risen:
  • The fights of Risen are better, they show a next step, more complex but still readable, better management for fights against small groups.
  • Many interface design are better, the list is too long to be quoted.
  • Graphics are a lot better, well ok different hardware requirements but still.
  • The NPC pathfinding following seem with zero bug, not experimented it yet enough to be sure, but suprising… if true that would be first game ever! :biggrin:
  • Much better dungeons design including with traps. Well the series need more dungeons but it's still an improvement.

• Much better dungeons design including with traps. Well the series need more dungeons but it's still an improvement.

Risen goes actually quite overboard with the amount of dungeons.
Puzzles and level design were generally good, but the lack of interactions, relatively poor variety of enemies and the fact that game makes you explore most of the dungeons one after another doesn´t do the overall flow much good.
Still I´m glad PB put long and intricate dungeons in the game, I just hope that in their next title they´ll balance outdoor exploration with dungeon romping better.

Lack of any proper dungeon romp is one of few things that always bothered me in G2.

Last edited:
I always loved the Sleepers temple in Gothic One.

One thing I missed about Gothic while playing Risen were the monsters. The monsters in the Gothic games were so cool. I particularly loved snappers, lizards and mine crawlers. What have we got in Risen? Those stupid rats that look like some kind of messed up porcuipine, a couple of varieties of giant moths of all things, and most comical of all... the dreaded giant war cricket!

I thought the War Cricket was sort of cool looking, it actually reminded me of a Gothic style of monster, it just had a really stupid name. :)

Ok well I got Gothic 2 and 3 right. Gothic 3 just fails before the game even starts, but my main issue is with Gothic 2. I load it up fine, I see the first two movies, but after the cow getting eaten, I lose picture and I can no longer see anythng, but I hear things fine. I can't see the main menu, but i can hear it lol. I have no idea how to fix it. I tried re-installing it too no joy.

But my computer can run anyother game fine. The latest game I had was dawn of war, which has alot happening and it plays fine :/

Any ideas?

Ok well I got Gothic 2 and 3 right. Gothic 3 just fails before the game even starts, but my main issue is with Gothic 2. I load it up fine, I see the first two movies, but after the cow getting eaten, I lose picture and I can no longer see anythng, but I hear things fine. I can't see the main menu, but i can hear it lol. I have no idea how to fix it. I tried re-installing it too no joy.

I think I remember this was a graphics driver issue. Disable AA and try again.

What graphics card do you have?

Yea my graphics card isn't installed :/

It's very old but all I know that's a Radeon. I got the disc for it and i installed it but to no effect. Don't know if i'm doing something wrong?

What is AA?

Yea my graphics card isn't installed :/

It's very old but all I know that's a Radeon. I got the disc for it and i installed it but to no effect. Don't know if i'm doing something wrong?

What is AA?

What model Radeon is it? It might say on the disc. How old is your computer?

AA = anti-aliasing.

Why don't I remember a cow getting eaten in G2?

The cow being eaten wasnt in the game, it was one of the intro movies. He gets eaten by pirahna

the 1st time i start a game, i'll sit through all intro sequence and stuff but that's just me..

Back
Top Bottom