Warhammer Online - Preview @ HEXUS & WarCry

Yep, that's right. But you're making the mistake of putting RPG in the formula. There is no RPG in MMOs like WoW. They are action games you play with other people, that's it really.

I do consider them RPGs. The overall mechanics are the same and well, there must be a reason to why people differentiates between MMOFPS's and MMORPGs. Absurd argument perhaps but I would say the RPG elements are sufficiently represented in MMORPGs in order to call them RPGs. I haven't played WoW so I can't speak for that game.

Yes and no. Agreed that such an MMO could be interesting but it's not a good formula for *all* MMOs. Your ideas, while excellent, are not what draw people to playing an MMO, or rather draw the majority of MMO players.

Yes, but then we're back at my initial post. A lot of people prefer easy-to-play even to the extent where logic has been removed.

I think the MMO genre has lots of room to do different things in, to give us different options and I hope that such a thing happens as MMOs are becoming more common and desireable by publishers. Like any video game, there are different people for different styles of games, but what needs to happen is for publishers to stop looking at WoW as a standard for subscription numbers or as a template for how a game should be.

I've never played EVE so I can't say. But between MMOs like WoW, EVE and Second Life there's clearly a diverse and large audience for the genre, so hopefully we'll see more branching and innovation taking place.

Indeed, it has even reached the extent where competitors, such as LotRO, use the same art work for their logos. But it is Blizzard after all.
If we look at the actual gameplay then the genre could need more innovation. More risks.

My primary issue with all MMOs are that, unlike most singleplayer games, they don't have a purpose beyond simply advancing. Much like real life, you have to invent your own purpose and stick with it.

LotRO had a main story. The problem was though that the side quests were just too many and too repetitive for you to maintain interest in the game to complete the main story. Or at least if you play as a completionist, like I do.

Other than that EVE does have somthing great - the pvp system of territorial conquest is absolute superb. Its far better than anything any other mmog has ever offered (excluding ww2ol perhaps).

World War II Online does this really well, yes. It is that kind of game which justifies making MMOs because that system is actually logical.
oh and zakhal. I thought I saw you on the WWIOL internal boards a couple of weeks ago. Are you still playing it? Well, logic say you are because you need a subscription to access the internal boards.

You cannot craft arms and armour in WAR as it stands currently, hence no forge etc.

Which is something I don't understand. Sorry, I haven't followed Warhammer Online that intensively in my coverage, but why would the preview write this then:

One thing about crafting that appealed to me was the removal of the mechanic requiring you to be near a specific crafting station (a forge, anvil, loom, etc.) in order to create an item. Allowing players to make potions on the fly or craft a new weapon or piece of armor in the field removes a large part of the hassle and tedium involved.

Last edited:
EVE does this, I believe. You play a logical system in that game. I'm waiting for this kind of game that isn't set in space with your avatar being a spaceship. I need to control a human being.
CCP is currently working on a World of Darkness MMO, so your (and my) dream may come true. ;) Just announce the damned thing already!

World War II Online does this really well, yes. It is that kind of game which justifies making MMOs because that system is actually logical.
oh and zakhal. I thought I saw you on the WWIOL internal boards a couple of weeks ago. Are you still playing it? Well, logic say you are because you need a subscription to access the internal boards.

Not so much playing as hanging around in the boards. Ive subbed into it back and fort since 2001. In seven years any game gets kinda stale. The sub is very cheap now though thanks to the weak dollar.

Ya Ive done that lately. WAR and Conan look like they will be decent releases.

But nothing like Darkfall. DFO is gonna PWN faces.

Which is something I don't understand. Sorry, I haven't followed Warhammer Online that intensively in my coverage, but why would the preview write this then:

I have no idea, but something like blacksmithing is not yet implemented and Mythic never said it would be. Right now the only tradeskill which is in the game is the apothecary skill with which you can mix potions. Obviously you do not need to be near some kind of crafting station to do that.

Back
Top Bottom