Dragon Age - Interview with Dr. Greg Zeschuk

woges

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
More stuff at Gamespot, I can't hear it at the present time but from the comments seems to confirm user content for console versions.
More information.

I'd love to see user-created content appear as DLC on the 360. They've promised it before, and it hasn't materialized, so I won't hold my breath. But it's nice to hear that they are intending it.

I don't like this idea at all; the main reason for us pc gamers is to have a toolset and make content for the pc, and solely for the pc. If and when the toolset also comes to the consoles? there are no good reasons to buy the game for the pc, if you're in doubt. And pc gamers creating user made modules for the pc, and then see them ported to the consoles? Why, oh, why should and would they do this ?
Bioware can create and sell their own dlcs for consoles of they want to...

I really don't like the idea that Bioware will let us choose what dlc (user created or not) we get to download via a menu in the game, before we even start the game. This smells of Bioware(EA) approving of any user created mods for this game before allowing them to be uploaded into the game, DA: Origins. This reeks of control, control and utter control of the modding community...

I don't know how it works.

But I think you would be able to install user created content without Bioware's approval.

The in-game download menu probably just makes it accessible for people who don't want to visit the website and manually install the files.

Presumably they want to encourage a strong modding community as well as the emergence of unofficial fan sites. If they are too restrictive they might drive the modding community away.

I think it is in their benefit to get more people used to and familiar with downloading custom content. Because it lengthens the shelf life of the game. And it creates a bigger audience for their own DLC.

If usercreated content on the pc is going to be offered to those on the xbox 360 and the ps3, then it is clear to me that Bioware (EA), and the ratings boards across the world will have their say in this. Especially since Microsoft's policy, as far as I understand it, is to take money for every little thing on the Xbox 360. Also, user created on the xbox 360 and the ps3 need to be undergo quality assurance (QA) by MS and Sony...

Maybe for the consoles, it will be infrequent compilations of the best PC user generated content. And need to be polished, tested, rated and certified.

I don't have a console. The idea seems fairly unprecedent. Whether it works might depend on the actual quality of the initial user generated content.

Though I don't think it will have a negative impact on PC users. The custom content aspect of the game appears to be focused on PC users.

You've been able to share user-created content on several games for the 360. Halo 3, Timesplitters, and a foliage-heavy shooter whose name escape me. Maps created by users, generally, with very limited toolsets. All from other 360 users (none from PC or other platforms). There were lots of these things, and each was rated by the users who'd downloaded it (to help you sort the wheat from the chaff). I never got into it much myself, partly because I didn't like those games, and also because I knew the tools were so limited. Halo 3 seems to have taken it the farthest on the 360, but I've never played it so can't comment.

I'm much more interested in PC mods being ported into the 360, rather than 360 users (unaccustomed to this) trying to create stuff with stripped down toolsets. MS is so tight, though, I wonder if they'll allow it. I am fine with them charging for it. I hope some of the money would make it back to the creators of the mod.

Back
Top Bottom