The Fall: Mutant City - New Adventure Game Announced

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This isn't an RPG but I've mentioned it because some readers will remember Silver Style's The Fall: Last Days of Gaia, which was never officially released in English, and will be surprised the IP is now being used for an adventure game titled The Fall: Mutant City. This was also the title of an originally planned expansion for The Fall and the storyline appears to have been used for this upcoming point-and-click title. Details at Demonews.de, thanks to Avantenor.
More information.

This game's link to The Last Days of Gaia will likely be enough to steer me clear of any marketing related to it. The sour taste of being promised an English version of the post apocalyptic Gaia for month's on end to no avail is still fresh.

This game's link to The Last Days of Gaia will likely be enough to steer me clear of any marketing related to it. The sour taste of being promised an English version of the post apocalyptic Gaia for month's on end to no avail is still fresh.

There's always the English patch created by users. I agree with you though they promised a English release then kept giving excuses.

Same here. It's one of those games that I wanted and waited for, and waited and waited and nothing.

Same here. It's one of those games that I wanted and waited for, and waited and waited and nothing.

Call yourself lucky. We waited and waited and then actually got NOTHING cause the game was atrocious. Or at least compared to what we all expected and what was kinda promised.

This still might be interesting because with The Fall they kinda got the design wrong - I think it might have worked much better as an adventure game considering the linearity, the awful combat and the insignificant skills (in relation to the main plot). Plus from what I heard the adventure games Silver Style developed are kinda good so this might be promising.

Call yourself lucky. We waited and waited and then actually got NOTHING cause the game was atrocious. Or at least compared to what we all expected and what was kinda promised.

This still might be interesting because with The Fall they kinda got the design wrong - I think it might have worked much better as an adventure game considering the linearity, the awful combat and the insignificant skills (in relation to the main plot). Plus from what I heard the adventure games Silver Style developed are kinda good so this might be promising.

Why do you think the combat was awful? The only thing that didn't work IMHO were the overpowered sniper rifles. What else do you criticise?

I don't remember it being fun in any way, no tactics necessary. For me the only viable strategy was: lie prone and shoot at the mindlessly charging enemies. After initially making a stealthy character I dumped that and restarted as a marksman - that way at least the fights didn't last that long and I could go on with the story which grabbed me until I realized that it really is THAT linear. Then I stopped.

All they had to do was sorta imitate the RT combat from Fallout Tactics - they implemented some good ideas there (ambushes and stealth was vital).

The things I liked were some of the quests, which sometimes were quite goofy, but I can see how that can fit adventure games.

All in all I'm just glad they didn't get the Fallout license back then, but this was all a publicity stunt anyway, wasn't it? And they seem to have learned quite a lot from The Fall. Developing RPGs is a bitch and they are better off (and better at) producing adventures.

To be fair I have to add that I was extremely hyped by The Fall. The last game I allowed myself to build my hopes up and I'm grateful for that lesson. On the one hand I might have enjoyed it more if that hadn't been the case. On the other hand I really wanted to enjoy the game with all the energy I put into getting attatched to the development process and hyping it myself (look at the last page in the manual, I'm up there in the special thanks list).

I wrote an extensive review back then. Maybe you could tell me, if it fits your impressions. It's in German, of course.

http://mystics.de/articles/77/

Very good review, well written and well structured. I agree with most of it but as you probably guessed from my previous post I can't agree with your conclusion about combat. While I agree with what you pointed out, in the end combat annoyed me more than it was fun.

Furthermore one very important part is missing. A comparison to Fallout. Let's face it, the game practically screamed *I'm like Fallout* and especially Silver Style initial marketing was directed at Fallout fans (Early interviews and forum activity by the devs, the marketing stunt when they tried to get the Fallout license or hired a former Fallout dev for a couple of months. They changed their approach only close to the end of the development, when they actually had to show something). And then we got a game that is worse in every respect. They went from combat offering a variety of valid options to combat demanding one schematic approach throughout the game. From branching, non-linear quests with different approaches to linear quests with one solution. From a non-linear plot with different ways to finish the game to an absolutely linear step-by-step plot with one ending.

My score would be more along the 60-70% range.

Back
Top Bottom