Shroud of the Avatar - About the Music

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Richard Gariiot was hanging out at Google+ and shared his views on the music in Shroud of the Avatar.

If you can't be bothered to watch the video, there is also a brief summary available.

Richard Garriott:
For Shroud of the Avatar, I have musical goals which include inspiration from Ken Arnolds work in Early Ultima's, historical style pieces akin to Iolo's Stones and other work. http://www.moongates.com/music/

I still have a strong affinity for the early Ultima music scored by Ken Arnold, that even with only 3 voices, had great memorable melodies. Don’t listen to the simplicity nor the instrumentation, just the fact that they have memorable simple melodies.

My favorites for inspiration are:
Ultima 3

• Campfire
  • Wanderer
Ultima 5

• Captain John’s Hornpipe
  • Worlds Below
Ultima VI

• Bootup
Other Music that inspires me while working on SotA

• AWOL Nation – Sail: Love the power, instrumentation and melody, lyrics unrelated.
  • Beats Antique – Beauty Beats : Love the instrumentation and melodies
  • Beats Antique – Mission: Ditto
  • Synthetic Dream Foundation – The One Eyed Maiden: Ditto
  • Steam Powered Giraffe - Automatonic Electronic Harmonics: Ditto
  • Metallica – Enter Sandman: Metallica Power Ballads fit the melodic, powerful style I would like to achieve for some parts and the “intro” theme song.
  • Metallica – Unforgiven
  • Metallica – Nothing Else Matters
Found at UltimaCodex.

More information.

Last edited:
Richard has that space rabies pallor. might want to get that liver checked.

Pallor or not, I've kind of missed seeing his face on webcam on the front page….kind of like picking at a scab or wiggling a loose tooth. But where is his headset?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom