Aarklash: Legacy - Review @ Capsule Computers

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Capsule Computers is the next site to review Aarklash: Legacy, and giving the game a promising score of 9/10.

Aarklash: Legacy is a top tier strategy RPG, hands down. The game looks fantastic and sounds great, even with occasionally shaky voice acting. The tightest draw to the game, however, is impeccable strategy gameplay that will pull you in and keep you on your toes. I dare say Aarklash: Legacy is one of my favorite gameplay experiences of the year. For the price Cyanide Studio is asking, you’d be missing out on quite a game to pass this by.
More information.

"Without a doubt, the strongest draw to fans of the strategy RPG genre mashup will be the combat. Unlike Shadowrun and its turn-based brethren, Aarklash‘s combat takes place completely in real-time. Aarklash: Legacy‘s unique feature is what they’re calling the “active pause” mechanic.

Because of the real-time nature of the game, you could probably try to play it like you would Diablo III or any other isometric RPG. You would also likely get completely destroyed very quickly. By utilizing the “active pause” mechanic, you can literally suspend combat at any point with the space bar. While the game is paused, you can issue commands to each of your Wheel Swords. You can also stack actions, giving you a deeper level of control over your forces. This grants an intricate level of control and command that you’ll quickly find to be necessary to conquer your foes. It also generates some unique situations, since many of the skills often require a countdown that occurs in real-time as well."

Unique feature??

Is this the first RTWP game they've ever played?

That aside this game does sound pretty interesting I will probably be picking it up.

Would like to see it review by a site I know though.

Would like to see it review by a site I know though.
Well when they do I will post it. I have found another one from RTSguru and one that's only in french. Seems the larger sites are not interested in this game.;)

I still topped off my Steam Wallet with the intention to buy this weekend. Still Saki has it right-- maybe a more established review would be a tipper for me.
Any opinion on this community carries weight with me though! ;)

First thing I noticed was how good background graphics was. Then the nice particle effects, then the Baldur's Gate-ish tactical gameplay. Then the enemy AI and how ruthless the enemies were, probably making the game hard, which is a HUGE PLUS in my view.

The SRPG genre has been sorely underrepresented on the PC, and this one seems neat. No character creation and no armor/ weapon customization are a weakness compared to other SRPG's though.

The SRPG genre has been sorely underrepresented on the PC, and this one seems neat. No character creation and no armor/ weapon customization are a weakness compared to other SRPG's though.

Yeah, that's a downer but if the party based tactical combat is solid ( which it seems to be) I could forgive that.

I'd like to hear more about the ruleset, stats and skills.

I played for about hour today and so far combat is good.I haven't unlocked skill tree yet(I gained skills automatically I think that on next level up I will unlock it) even in begining it's important to carefully use skills.Classes are also well designed so far, for example tank uses hp to cast, while damage reduction skill and taunt have relatively low cost damage ability can hurt him badly aswell combine that with healer that doesn't regenerate but can take friendly hp to regains some mana, so if you are not careful you can do as much damage to yourself as enemy.
I can't wait to get further and see, what kind of abilities and synergies will I unlock.

So this game that I haven't heard of until 2 weeks ago from studio that I don't particularly like can turn out to be one of most pleasant surprises this year.But than again I am very early in game so things can change but my impressions so far are very positive.

I bought it when it released since it looked decent for $20.

Since I'm wrapped up in FFXIV I haven't played it that much. Finished the first map or so thru the first boss fight.

I think the gameplay is pretty slick. Your characters only get 4 skills each but they're all very interesting with some slick things you need to do to be successful.

I'd never claim to be the best gamer ever but I do alright and that first boss fight I barely pulled off. You really have to manage your character's resources well and use skills to counter/handle what the AI is doing.

For ex, your tank type can taunt and that can be used in a few ways, you can redirect a long cast big hit type ability spell from a squishy to the tank with it. Or if a mob is casting a heal you can taunt and redirect that to your tank.

Your rogue type has an ability to knock buffs off of mobs and when they put massive regen or invulnerability on themselves it behooves you to deal with it.

You can't just spam heals endlessly due to mana constraints so you need to balance healing, damage reduction, focus fire, etc.

You mage has a pb knockdown you can use to interrupt long casting huge abilities...but it can hit team mates.

Some mobs cast huge AEs and you can run your characters out of the radius before they go off - or eat it like a nublet.

And so on. The UI is pretty slick for how you can see what's going on. You can pause anytime and there's a queue system for "stacking" things you want characters to do that's very easy to manage. You can "manually dodge" some missile type abilities if you're on it. One of your heals is a directional bolt and if you don't aim it well you can heal your enemies. For a relatively simple game there's quite a bit going on or that you can do.

It's not the deepest game ever, but for what it is, which is a focus on tactical combat, it's pretty good. It's not entirely lacking for story either and has voiced cut scenes. It's just not story focused. I think the reviewer managed SRR and I can barely stay awake when I play SRR - didn't quite turn out as I imagined for me. The combat in this game is considerably more interesting even if I prefer turn-based usually.

I'll definitely dig into it more but being a MMORPG addict with a new toy pretty much puts all other gaming on hold. :p

Got tired of it after only 4 hours, the combat system seemed great at first but after awhile it was more annoying than fun.

After few more hours I my very positive first impression is largely ruined.Combat system is still good but encounter design is poor, enemies that appear from thin air, large amount of shots to dodge on small areas and bad AI are making game increasingly annoying.

Too bad, I really gotten my hopes up after initial blast.Maybe it gets good again later, we will see.

Back
Top Bottom