FATE not installing properly

Cormac

Sentinel
I noticed in other threads that a few of yous have recently acquired FATE. I have a question: I recently got the retail box version of the game (published by Encore) but when I try to launch the game, it wont run and I get the following message: 'Game not properly installed. Please reinstall.' Of course it's a damn lie, I certainly can install a game properly, all I need to do is put a disk on a tray and click a couple of buttons. Anyway after several fruitless attempts at reinstall and the usual cleaning up (defrag, etc.) I emailed encore. They answered the following:

Unfortunately at this time this program is experiencing difficulties with computers containing more than one processor. We are currently looking into a solution to this problem but if you would like you may obtain a refund by doing the following.

I have to say, I didnt know that a Penthium 4 was a multi processor thing. Anyway, I can get a 'refund', although mailing the thing to California would cost me almost as much as what I spent on the game so I'm considering keeping it. Maybe one day I'll get a single processor PC.
My question is, has anyone else experienced similar difficulties ? Is Encore's tech help right or are they completely lost, since last year I downloaded and played the trial version of FATE without a problem ?

Weird ... I reinstalled today without issue - but then I am using the digital download method with electronic validation. I wonder if you can do that?

Probably not, the email from Encore offered a refund and nothing else. I dont think whoever distributes it as a DD (Wildtangent ?) is bound, legally or goodsportsly, to offer me that for free.
Yes, it is weird; and let me add odd, intriguing, baffling and unnatural.

WHY ME ?!?

Poor you :( I installed it yesterday, and it runs fine for me as well... I have the boxed version as well by the way.
Did you try installing the game on a different PC? Maybe the disc is corrupt?

I had a quick look at their forum, there's a trouble shooting guide here:
https://forum.wildgames.com/showthread.php?t=3410

And in this thread the user could not install until he turned of Deamon tools, so that might be worth a try:
https://forum.wildgames.com/showthread.php?t=5928

I hope any of this helps...

Thanks, Sorcha, I'll see what I can get from those threads. I dont even know what Deamon Tools are so I dont think that's the problem. A corrupt disk ? I dont know.

Just put it, the enhanced media, and the bonus pack on. Played it for like an hour, no probs. Boxed version.

Not trying to rub it in, homeskillet. Just givin' you the 411 ='.'=

I haven't had any trouble with FATE but you might try setting it to run on one CPU. Unfortunately, there's no nice way to to this that I know of...

In short, start FATE
Press ctrl + alt + del at the same time to bring task manager
Look for FATE in the list
Right-click on that entry
Click on "Affinity"
Deselect all but the first CPU, so only one is selected

Anyone know an easier way to set the affinity for new users?

You should also install this Microsoft dual core fix for Windows XP SP2 . As far as setting CPU affinity is concerned, there are some tools out there that can be used like WinLauncher XP . You should probably also make sure that you have the latest version of .NET installed (check Windows Update and then the optional stuff... even if you have .NET 2.0 installed, make sure to get 1.1... 2.0 is not fully backwards compatible) and -though I do admittedly not know if FATE even uses it but if it does :) - then try these Installshield instructions here (obviously only if FATE uses Installshield which you should be able to tell when you launch the installation as it will say something like "Installshield is extracting files" or "Installshield is preparing files for setup" or something like that).

Well I tried several things suggested but without success. I thought the Affinity thing Dhruin brought up would do the trick but it did not. There is no words in the english language to describe what I'm feeling right now. But this little guy here sums it up pretty neatly: :'(

Thanks to all for helping.

The game now runs properly. I have no idea how. I just tried to reinstall it again and this time it worked.

I think it's a language thing!! You know, the french vs the english conflict!! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom