Avernum 5 - Review @ GamerDad

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We have a pile of GamerDad reviews we'll slowly work our way through...this one is the first review of Avernum 5 we've seen, as usual in GamerDad's short format. The score is 5/5 and here's a snip:
It is always easy to criticize Spiderweb games based on fairly simple graphics - this remains true, but everything here is done in higher resolution and looks better than any previous entry in the series. This is definitely one of the best role-playing games of the year, and is friendly to those new to the series as well as veterans. Hints that pop up as you play the early sections of the game get you immediately immersed, but there is depth of control and party management that defies mastery. You will find yourself pulled into extended 'one more battle' gaming sessions, yet the journal is clear enough that you can walk away for quite a while and then hop back into it effortlessly. It runs on just about any Mac or PC and is available as a small download from Spiderweb Software, making it easy to try out. As I have said before - what Avernum 5 lacks in visual presentation, it makes up with immersive story-telling and engaging gameplay.
More information.

As much as I like the site, the review seems really similar to the Avernum 4 review... then again, the games are similar, too, I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom