The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Yeah, that's still all metal. I've listened to all of those bands.
But I guess you were responding more to Jabberwocky,
with the women thing and all.

Good suggestions tho!

I actually prefer Sirenia over Tristania, Veland's new band. Yeah it's more modern but I feel it has stronger songwriting.
Also I prefer "Aegis" over "Velvet Darkness they fear" which is still nice tho.

You know the bands "While heaven wept" and "Novembre", right?
"Virgin Black" might work too, I'm a bit undecided on that one myself.

"Forest of Shadows" is nice very atmospheric stuff. "Mourning Beloveth" is good - if a bit extreme at times.

Oh, since you are currently discussing all kinds of music ;) ...

Can someone recommend me an album of White Metal ? :)

I'd really like to find out how this sounds. :) Plus, I'm always interested in the lyrics. ;)

And now to Peter Gabriel's last album, "UP" ...

"White Metal", as I understand it, refers to just about any sub-genre of metal with lyrics about jesus. So I don't believe there is a way that it "sounds".
IIRC a record compay invented the term "white metal" to refer to these bands.

It can sound basically like death metal, power metal, thrash, industrial etc etc... or nowadays even like the crap they call "metalcore". ;)

Thanks for the suggestions Sammy. I liked the My Dying Bride samples, but I'm afraid they are too dark for my own good atm. I'm an idealist and so take things like this pretty hard. I think the doom metal path my be too destructive. I also steer clear of occult themed albums, that stuff just creeps me out.

I've actually been listening to Tori Amos' first album "Little Earthquakes". There's one song on there "Precious Things" that really fits my mood even though it's sung by a female. "These precious things --- let them bleed, let them wash away..."

Last edited:
Could some sick phuck out there recommend some non-metal gothic albums?
The darker the better.
I don't really care from what year... as long as it's post-70's.. cause I generally can't stand the way drums and vocals sound when recorded with pre-80's equipment.

Doom is rough, probably the most psychologically-destructive type of stuff there is. I mean, there's always been blues music to wallow in the hard times, but it doesnt tend to delve into the black void awaiting us all, consuming all life. Talk about the ultimate bummer, you know.

I dont know why I'm drawn to it, scares the shit out of me sometimes, but I find myself going back to it time and time again.

Perhaps the Queen of the Damned soundtrack? There's a fair helping of industrial on there which might not do much for you, but I'm having a little trouble homing in on what you're really looking for. See if you can track down "Wings of Steel" by Collide and let me know how close that is to what you're wanting (I can't do the appropriate links from work). Maybe Cruxshadows?

Well... what do you want? Dark Wave, Deathrock, Batcave, J-Pop, one of the zillion types of Elektro, Industrial, EBM, Neofolk, Ethereal...?

Well... what do you want? Dark Wave, Deathrock, Batcave, J-Pop, one of the zillion types of Elektro, Industrial, EBM, Neofolk, Ethereal...?

Uhhh.... yellow!!

I'd prefer if it had at least some real instruments in it.
Vocals would be nice too, but that's not an absolute requirement.

But uh.. ok.. I guess I'll have to do some research to narrow things down.

Last edited:
Currently its mostly progressive metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning,...), with a healthy dose of 60-70's psychedelia and eurorock: Early Pink Floyd, Steve Hillage, Can, Holger Czukay. Actually also some Porcupine Tree, although they are a bit younger.

And Kate Bush.

Ahh.. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Fates Warning. The big three.
I own almost everything by them.

"Still Remains" by Fates Warning, "A change of seasons" by Dream Theater and "Divine Wings of Tragedy" by Symphony X.. possibly the greatest songs ever written :D

I bought a Fates Warning best of CD a long time ago and honestly couldn't get into it. The rythym in many songs just didn't seem to flow.

Yeah, it does not flow, nor does it even try to.
Progressive Metal is a genre certainly not for everyone.

Yeah, it does not flow, nor does it even try to.
Progressive Metal is a genre certainly not for everyone.

And changing rythm/time signatures is very typical for the genre.

Another very good example on that (although they some time are placed in a genre of their own) is Tool. I consider them progressive metal.

I don't like Tool's marketing policy. They were Saturday's headliners at last year's M'era Luna festival. I ignored them and drank beer instead :p.

Now see, that's weird, because I know what you're talking about with the rythyms 'n' all, but I am a big fan of Tool. I think they are musical geniuses. Oh, and I also like progressive metal, so that's not it (regarding my distaste for Fates Warning).

Zakhary: Have you tried The Gathering: Souveniers or The Gathering: Home ??

Although the band started out as metal they evolved into what I think maybe you're looking for... listen to the samples and see what you think. Imho "Home" is the better album, but "Souvenirs" has a little more Goth feel to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Souvenirs-Gathering/dp/B00008ZZ8P/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Gathering/dp/B000EQ5QA4/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

Ah, the beauty of different taste. Of course, enjoying prog metal doesn't require us to like all bands in the genre.

Just like you don't have to like both Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. (I can't stand neither of them) (correct english?). Hmmm possibly a bad example. I guess I'll just delete it.

* Even if you had a Festival photo pass, you needed an extra Tool photo pass (for extra money) to take pics of Tool (none of the other bands including the Sunday headliners did that).
* There were special places/seats for disabled people right to the sides of the stage. Guess which band asked their roadies to empty these seats even though the additional space wasn't used?
* Tool didn't appear on the official festival shirt and CD because they wanted to sell their own shirts and CDs.

Yeah I know that many biggos do this, but it seriously put me off.

Now, as much as I like prog rock and Tool's music, I was seriously pleased that overall reception wasn't as warm as they could have wished for. Next time the festival booking agency should think twice about booking an act outside of the usual range of musical styles for their festival.

My favorite prog rockers are Dream Theater.

Back
Top Bottom