So I have a degree in psychology now…

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.
I guess I should write a sequel to my last post regarding something personal. Three years have passed, I am now 35 years old and I just got a degree in psychology. Me, a degree in psychology. Six years ago when I begun my studies I thought I could least get some lessons and maybe a simple education to become an engineer like everybody else. I am a completely different person today in many ways compared to who I used to be. Still, it feels good to have a summer and play some games because I have studied for 150% during the last year.

I have been accepted to a master program in society-focused psychology after summer, so I will continue to be a student, but now I am also something more. I have my own title. Might not sound like much to you guys but for me, it means something. Ok, game on.

Congratulations and speaking as an engineer (a software one, for the past 10 years), you are not missing much, in case you were wondering ;)
(Ah, I shouldn't complain, it keeps me in RPGs and books at least!)

Also, you couldn't drag me back to "school"(*) with a herd of wild horses :) Never been the academic sort myself… (we are the same age btw)

Good luck on the Master program.

(* I was offered a crack at a Master's at least that could have evolved at a phd position when I presented my thesis, just before getting my diploma. I practically run away just in case the prof actually meant it :D )

Sounds like a lot to me Jemy. Congratulations!

Funny that all my friends are engineers except one guy who's a labor union rotweiler. I also apply a lot of psychology when GM'ing Pen & Paper RPG's. :)

Grattis! I'm your age but completed my minor cs degree 10 years ago (which feels like yesterday). I envy you your master degree. It's very rewarding (and a privilege) to be allowed to study something of your choosing.

Congrats! I spent years working in IT before getting a BSc and MSc in archaeology, and now I've gone full circle and work in IT again. You can't predict what strange turns life will take, but it's always good to do something that interests you.

Oh, it's also nice to be able to call myself a Master of Science! Of course, now it seems like everyone I know's going for a PhD. :p

I make a very nice living but I do miss the fact that I never got a degree. Having a degree must feel nice, congrats! I'm quite a bit older than you but I've been in the working class for 30 years already. It would have been nice to postpone that for a few more years...Oh well.

Congratulations. Well deserved.

pibbur who was 37, close to 38 when he finished his 2nd education, master in computer science.

Congratulations !

Congrats!

I took a short course on Psychology not too long ago. Does it get more convincing than Psychoanalysis?

congrats

its very difficult with a psych degree to pursue your profession of choice without a graduate degree in my experience. I worked with a kid at radio shack and he already had his bachelors. he did volunteer work at a local hospital and said he was going to pursue something higher. so its good you are going for your master's.

I've noticed a lot of kids going down the path of psychology and then they tell me they are good at "reading people". A sure sign they play too much poker.

Does it get more convincing than Psychoanalysis?

No course I took contained psychoanalysis that is actually considered to be a pseudoscience. I personally am no fan of psychoanalysis considering it's dark backgrund and weak empirical support.

The four specializations I took were cognitive psychology, social psychology, personality psychology and development psychology. I appreciate all of them in their own way.

Cognitive psychology can be really clinical and hardcore, but I think the mindtricks and illusions are cool. Cognitive psychology obliterates ideas like "free will", "clear thought", "i know what I saw", "I can trust my senses", "I can trust my gut" and it's highly counter intuitive but proves with empirical data how intuition actually have things wrong. It's insights allow you to improve your own thinking in many ways, avoid mindtraps, enhance your memory and for a student it gives quite a few hints on effective learning. Cognitive psychology is the kind of stuff magicians exploit. And charlatans unfortunately. All fields float together in psychology but this is a field I have to learn more about if I do actual research in the future.

Development psychology was not a field I wanted to work in, but it was the most existential course for me. It specifically deals with the psychology of different ages. What changes happen on the neurological level, but also the greater questions on a social level. Development Psychology allowed me to connect to different ages, my parents, my grandma, even people younger than myself, ages I had forgotten.

Personality Psychology is a young and controversial field with great potential I think, it might really have something to say about diversity among people that may help people to understand eachother. The course was rather bad though, I might check up with this field later and see if I can learn more. If one wants a scientifically supported "horoscope", look up Big Five.

Finally my primary field is social psychology that deals with how people interact with eachother. My final work in psychology was based on intergroup relations, dichotomical social identities under influence of uncertainty.

I've noticed a lot of kids going down the path of psychology and then they tell me they are good at "reading people". A sure sign they play too much poker.

Especially personality psychology helps you to judge people better since it allows you to stop comparing others to yourself. You can add extra layers and filters in your understanding of others behavior.

That's great, JemyM :D. Congrats!

Congrats Jemy. Promise me you listen to people before you try to figure them out? I met a couple of psycologists that seems to have completely missed what i said.

Back
Top Bottom