The Stick of Truth Legal Rights

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I'm not one for long speeches so let the newsbit from gamebanshee explain.
While THQ was filing for bankruptcy, it looked like South Park: The Stick of Truth's future would have been relatively bright, given that the game was almost done and another publisher would almost assuredly immediately pick up the publishing rights and get it to the shelves.

Today, as THQ's assets go to auction, the situation doesn't look as rosy, as noticed by NeoGAF user sangreal: South Park Studios has filed an objection essentially claiming that the rights to publish the game should revert to them, while it's clear that doesn't agree at all, and wants to push with their plans to shop the rights themselves at their auction.

While the most likely scenario is still that a publisher will pick it up and finance the last marketing/development push itself, it now looks like the game could potentially be locked up in a legal limbo. We'll keep you covered on this situation as it develops.
Sad news for Obsidian even after the whole speech about the game would be fine even if THQ went under.

Link-http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/110554-south-park-studios-and-thq-battle-over-south-park-the-stick-of-truth-legal-rights.html

I knew those South Park jerks would fuck Obsidian over.

This was a bad move from the get go.

Your comment doesn't make any sense to me. It's THQ that screwed up the release of this project, not Trey and Matt, who wrote all the dialogue and performed the voices.

From what I understand, Obsidian was hired directly by South Park Studios, THQ acted only as the publisher and currently owes part of the advance payments due to South Park.

Who knows what the terms of Obsidian's development were, but more likely than not there was some sort of bonus payment based on sales. It would seem to be more in Obsidian's interest as well for the rights to revert to South Park, who would then be in a position to negotiate a better publisher deal for their completed or nearly completed game, rather than for the title to be unloaded in the bankruptcy auction at a discounted price.

Last edited:
This is one of the many reasons why I never liked THQ.

I don't think that the game will become a vaporware or end up in some law case limbo. The best interest of all parties is that it gets released as soon as possible. Unless someone there doesn't want to profit from it, but that's highly improbable.

So South Perk Studio is fucking Obsidian over because THQ is selling the publishing contract to a game made with an IP they do not own?

I don't see Stick of Truth being tied up from this for very long. It's too close to completion, and someone will work out a deal so they can get this game out the door. Hopefully in the first half of 2013.

Back
Top Bottom