Baldur's Gate: EE impressions

The only thing I can't know with certainty is the exact resolution (or corresponding resolution their scaling is) amounts to. It's just a guess that it's around 1280x720. But what I DO know - is that if it's not "zoomed out" - it's because they're scaling it to your resolution and that's visually identical to using a lower resolution. As in, 100% identical and not 99.9% identical.

Yes I understand that it's being filtered down to compensate for the higher resolution. That doesn't change the fact that the UI looks significantly better now, and the zoom allows you to choose between a sharper res or a closer view whenever you want.. rather than being forced to pick one or the other in TuTu. That's a significant advantage any way you look at it.

Yes I understand that it's being filtered down to compensate for the higher resolution. That doesn't change the fact that the UI looks significantly better now, and the zoom allows you to choose between a sharper res or a closer view whenever you want.. rather than being forced to pick one or the other in TuTu. That's a significant advantage any way you look at it.

I understand what DArtagnan is saying and I fully agree, but I would love that zoom feature for just the reason you said here, basically it's fast res switching on the spot, that would come in handy for me as I get older anyway.

Maybe somebody will see my post this time:

Is there any kind of "Baldur's Gate for Dummies" guide?

I am not used to this kind of hardcore RPG, and I was shocked, when found out that the lower numbers are the better in the armour stat, or when the first wolf ate me alive.

Still have no idea how to remove party members from the group, or how to force a member to use her bow from the distance, and not to run up and close to the certain death.

Maybe somebody will see my post this time:

Is there any kind of "Baldur's Gate for Dummies" guide?

I am not used to this kind of hardcore RPG, and I was shocked, when found out that the lower numbers are the better in the armour stat, or when the first wolf ate me alive.

A simple google search will give you a lots of information. As does reading the pdf manual in the game folder. Especially when it come to spells and the game pdf are up-to-date.

PlayItHardcore have detailed progression charts and tips (based on BG2 engine which should match BGEE) and Gamebanshee have sites for both BG and BG2 with walkthrought and stuff.

Still have no idea how to remove party members from the group, or how to force a member to use her bow from the distance, and not to run up and close to the certain death.

That is an AI "issue". It's because you didn't set an script, default is none. You got two choices: deactivate the AI (first button under the party avatar on the bottom right or A on the keyboard) or select a script in the character page (select customize).

Deactivating mean you'll have to give orders all the time to everybody in the party. They auto-attack once told to do so, but once their target die they stare in the void and do nothing.

To remove party members, click on the 5th icon from the top on the left side of the GUI. The one that's shaped like a head. You'll see an option that says "reform party".

Another patch was released yesterday.

* Improved Creature spawn system
* Large multiplayer bugfix
* Journal entry fix
* Fixed for zoomed out and click out of bounds crash
* Custom portrait in multiplayer game fix
* Numerous UI fixes
* Farsight scroll fix
* Obe combat tutorial fix

Trent Oster posted this...

Zoom saving is on the to-do list.
The current monster spawn solution is based on # of party members and level of those characters. If effectively adds them up and spawns creatures accordingly. If you are solo and low level the spawns will be light. As well, in original BG some of the creatures were placed in the area and do not use the spawn system, so they will be unchanged.

Best,
-Trent

Wow, this thread certainly blew up over the last few days. I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just do a few general comments on topics I've noticed:

BG: EE vs Tutu/BGT:
- The graphics are superior, mainly due to proper scaling. Things look as crisp as BG2, which was always a notch above BGT/Tutu despite using the same engine.
- The interface now looks a bit more modern and a bit less IN-YOUR-FACE-FONTS FROM THE 90s! Old BG, even with BGT/Tutu, had hideous fonts and general interface. It really looks like a bad website from the 90s.
- Additional voices: Most banter and such is voiced now. I have to admit I never even noticed comments like Edwin going: "Elminster this, Elminster that. Give ME 2000 years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse". How I managed to miss such a good comment is beyond me, but somehow I did. Now I noticed it because he said it all of a sudden.
- Zooming: I don't really use this feature a lot when playing on a desktop, but it's very useful whenever I fire it up on laptops and similar with smaller monitors.
- Lots of fixed issues: BGT/Tutu pretty much copies over all BG2 material without any adjustments. BG: EE has made quite a few adjustments, such as toning down Totemic Druid pets and fixing the summoned pet limit (set to 5 now, like in BG2). Unfortunately, Kensai and Monk are still both useless at low levels, which includes all of BG1 I'm afraid. You need to be level 12+ for either one to really be useful. Stick to Berserker in BG1.
- BG2 weapon types are now available: Unlike BGT/Tutu, you can now get your hands on Katanas and similar if you want. It's nice if you're building a character for BG2, though I honestly recommend Long Swords or Bastard Swords as the available swords are still stronger than any available Katanas.
- New content (see below).

New content:
- Rasaad: A monk with an interesting story. Much better than modded characters in terms of story, but he's a monk, so he's useless. A real shame, as I would love to bring him along more often, but I assume he'll make a comeback in BG2.
- Neera: A bit too many attempts at being funny without really being funny, but otherwise it's fun to play around with a wild mage NPC. Overall, her quest is quite short and, to be perfectly honest, dull. It could've used a bit more work. Again, I assume she'll be available in BG2: EE, so hopefully her story is more fleshed out there.
- Dorn: The best new NPC by a wide margin. His story is very interesting and his fighting skills are superb. He beats Minsc quite easily as the best fighter of BG1, though Kagain with bracers of dexterity is still the best tank (by far, not only due to high constitution, but also because dwarves get extra saves).
- Blackguard: A very powerful kit, just like every other Paladin kit, but it does have a serious drawback: It's evil. Evil doesn't really work in Baldur's Gate. It never has. It probably never will. Being evil in BG1-2 blows, no matter how cool the kit is. Luckily, Dorn is around, so you get to try it out through him without having to be evil yourself.
- Black Pits: Haven't tried it. I'll try it this week.

Anyway, all this makes me wonder: What will BG2: EE include? Zooming to be sure, as well as Rasaad, Neera and Dorn. And then what? The rest of the features are already in place. I hope they'll include at least one more NPC, some sort of thief character (fighter/thief or maybe an Assassin).

Maybe they'll also make the transition a bit smoother. It's no secret that the transition currently disrupts the flow a lot - I hardly ever have the default party consisting of Jaheira, Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir and Khalid, so it's always a bit weird when those are my starting companions in BG2. Still, I suppose re-writing the entire start of BG2 to take your party composition into mind is too big a task, but it would be interesting.

Zoom saving is on the to-do list.

This is one thing I don't really get at all. The very first alpha test had to have somebody going "Hey, this kind of sucks when I enter an inn and I'm zoomed all the way out again!" How competent (and these guys have a history of being competent) programmers could overlook this is puzzling.

This is one thing I don't really get at all. The very first alpha test had to have somebody going "Hey, this kind of sucks when I enter an inn and I'm zoomed all the way out again!" How competent (and these guys have a history of being competent) programmers could overlook this is puzzling.

It's not because something isn't fixed/included that it have been overlooked. Other issues just take priority over this one.

I don't mind the zoom reset personally, I'm probably not the only one.

Just started the game. Last time i played it was 1999.

I have one thing to say. When it comes to my entertainment BG beats any other title(except maybe fallout), anytime anyplace.

Back
Top Bottom