Far Cry 2

human_male

Math and girls is hard.
Hi. I have just started playing this game on the 360 and had some questions, if anyone here has happened to play it.

At first it seemed like a really cool concept and I was enjoying it, but I'm having quite a few serious issues.

Is it possible to save where you want? Can you unlock a quicksave function somehow? The manual indicates that the Journal has a save function.

Do the road checkpoints ever stop respawning? I wiped one out on my way to meet my buddy, then not ten minutes later I came back and it had already respawned! That is going to get seriously aggravating.

The same with the hostile technical trucks I keep running into. I'll just be driving along and this truck roars up and starts machine gunning me. So I kill them, get out, fix the truck, get back in, drive a couple of minutes down the road... and another hostile technical attacks me!

Is there any point exploring? Is there anything out there in the wilderness? Any caves with hidden goodies, or characters with missions? Anything like that?

Is everyone out in the wilderness hostile? My first mission after the tutorial was to destroy some mercenarie's vehicles, but my buddy asked me to go to a house and force the merc's contact to send them some erroneous instructions. So I head off to the house, and start shooting at the guards because they were red in my crosshair. Then about twenty other guards poured out and I had to kill them all. Then it occured to me... should I be doing this? This seems like a rather drastic course of action. Am I going to piss someone off by doing this? Who are these guys anyway? I'm massacring about twenty people just to get to this one guy. Maybe I could have talked to them instead?

Thanks very much if you can answer any of these.

Is it possible to save where you want? Can you unlock a quicksave function somehow? The manual indicates that the Journal has a save function.
On the PC you can but on the XBOX you'll have to do with the saveboxes.

Do the road checkpoints ever stop respawning?
No
The same with the hostile technical trucks I keep running into. I'll just be driving along and this truck roars up and starts machine gunning me. So I kill them, get out, fix the truck, get back in, drive a couple of minutes down the road… and another hostile technical attacks me!
You'll be running into hostile vehicles until the end of the game
Is there any point exploring? Is there anything out there in the wilderness? Any caves with hidden goodies, or characters with missions? Anything like that?
No.
There are cases with diamonds but after a few missions you won't have any need for them.
Is everyone out in the wilderness hostile? My first mission after the tutorial was to destroy some mercenarie's vehicles, but my buddy asked me to go to a house and force the merc's contact to send them some erroneous instructions. So I head off to the house, and start shooting at the guards because they were red in my crosshair. Then about twenty other guards poured out and I had to kill them all. Then it occured to me… should I be doing this? This seems like a rather drastic course of action. Am I going to piss someone off by doing this? Who are these guys anyway? I'm massacring about twenty people just to get to this one guy. Maybe I could have talked to them instead?
Blast your way through there's no such thing as negotiations in this game.

1: Remove Far Cry 2 DVD from your drive.

2: Uninstall Far Cry 2.

3: Install a first-person shooter sequel that wasn't a huge disappointment.

Yep.
Far Cry 2 is so hilariously bad game I just can´t help myself and make this redundant post stating it.
Rather unparalleled amount of whatthehells during my 4 hour long venture into its toils :).

1: Remove Far Cry 2 DVD from your drive.

2: Uninstall Far Cry 2.

3: Install a first-person shooter sequel that wasn't a huge disappointment.

Yeah I'm beginning to agree with you. It sounded like a cool concept. A large open area, free roaming gameplay. But that respawning. And the combat's so pathetic. Red Dead Redemption is still two months away and I don't have anything else to play. So I'll endure it for a bit longer.

A couple more questions; my alarm clock doesn't seem to work. It was 2:00am and I wanted to just save my game, not pass any time so I set it to the minimum, just past two. But when I "woke up" it was daylight, but it was still two o'clock. It seems I set it for twelve hours. But I set it for the miminum amount of time it would let me.

How do upgrades work exactly? There's nothing in the manual about them. I bought some light webbing for an ammo capacity boost but I can still only carry 90 rounds. Do I have to apply it somehow? I looked around in the armoury and there's nothing there. Also with weapon upgrades, I bought a accuracy upgrade for my rifle. How do I know if it's been applied?

Is there any point to stealth? I'm supposed to go and destroy these commandos vehicles. Supposedly it will be "easy because the ARP will be fighting them too." (it wasn't, no one was fighting). But I get to this little shanty town and it's chock full of assholes. So I try to sneak through, and I see a guy with an RPG so I figure I'd better take him out. I sneak up behind him and do a stealth kill but all the enemies nearby are alerted. I tried again without killing anyone (it's night by the way) but I still got spotted. So I gave up trying to be stealthy and just dug myself in in a shack and just killed them all as they came through the door. Is there any point to being stealthy? Is the cammo suit worth 45 diamonds?

Does EVERY mission involve me having to fight about a hundred assholes?

I played the first mission at my friends house and fell in love with the atmosphere so I bought it for myself. Luckily, I only bought it used because after the first mission, it is a terrible headache. I could handle the multitudes of trucks if the guard posts didn't respawn so quickly... But that killed it for me.

I played the first mission at my friends house and fell in love with the atmosphere so I bought it for myself. Luckily, I only bought it used because after the first mission, it is a terrible headache. I could handle the multitudes of trucks if the guard posts didn't respawn so quickly… But that killed it for me.

One of those design decisions that you just shake your head in wonder at. What were they smoking over there that made them think that would be a good idea?

Far Cry 2 was one of the rare gems amongst games that achieve the privilege of being removed from my DVD drive and beaten to splinters with a hammer. Sometimes just throwing the game away isn't enough.

One of those design decisions that you just shake your head in wonder at. What were they smoking over there that made them think that would be a good idea?

Right. You have to assume that developers of video games play games themselves. Did they not try to play their own game?

I've been playing it for a couple of days now and I'm finding it... playable. The respawn is definitely the biggest headache. And the no quicksave. Also the controls seeem a bit tricky. I'm not the best shot with a 360 controller but I have no problems moving and maneuvering. But this game I'm all over the place. I've turned the sensitivity right down but I find it oddly difficult to control. And quite tricky to aim. Some games do it really well. I recently played Modern Warfare 2 and it was a brease to control. I can't quite put my finger on what exactly causes it.

A couple of things I think would improve it is if you could upgrade a specific weapon, instead of (what I assume is the case) an upgrade being applied to all weapons of that type. It should be more like Stalker Clear Sky, where you can have one suped up gun. That allows you to bond with it, giving you that warm fuzzy feeling. That's not just a rifle, that's my rifle.

And instead of using and throwing away cars it would be cool if you could buy your own and be able to upgrade it, like adding armour plate, a better weapon, being able to hire a guy to man the gun for you, and maybe even different colour schemes.

Respawn, non-interesting/engaging story, annoying malaria, weapon jams, tedious driving around…someone forgot somewhere that games are supposed to be fun. But out of all those the respawn issue was the worst.

Also "Far Cry 2"….wtf? It has absolutely nothing to do with Far Cry 1, not the plot, not the gameplay…nothing. The only thing it has in common is that you shoot things.

I'm not sure which sequel was worse, Far Cry 2 or F.E.A.R. 2. They were both complete garbage, and an insult to the originals.

I'll add my voice to the throng, Far Cry 2 sucks. Like GD said after 1 hour you have seen everything there is to see.

@JDR Far Cry 2 is definitely worse. Fear 2 was bad, but at least it didn't make you keep killing the same people at the same checkpoints over and over and over and over and over again.

I thought there was a second map that opened up in act 2?

Did you ever replay Zelda a second time?

Basically it's the same game, just tossed around a bit. You really did see it all in your first playthrough.

The best thing with Far Cry 2 was the humorous video with the producer defending it.

I found that video almost as fun as the compensation i got for my Silent Hunter 5.

Now i can play a snowboarding game for free.

I always dreamed of doing that.

(Now if i only can get the key they gave me to work with my free game...)

Back
Top Bottom