Blackguards - Preview @ Spiderduck

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Spiderduck takes a look at the Early Access version of BlackGuards.

At the end of the day, Blackguards has some good things going for it and features a deep character customization system for you to choose the skills you want and challenging combat that makes it a challenge while not being frustrating. For me, I love being pulled in by a great story and that can be the thing that keeps me playing. Early on, Blackguards just doesn't give that to me. I'll definitely keep playing the game as I find the combat enjoyable but I'm hoping the story really picks up and gives me a change of heart.

The game is in Steam Early Access right now, and is pretty close to being finished and should be out in its entirety within the next few months. The developers are taking criticism seriously, but major parts of the game being overhauled doesn't seem likely at this point.

For those who want a great RPG story, I would wait until the final product comes out and see how the full story turns out before jumping in. For those who are looking for more turn-based strategy, this is a good pick from what I've experienced so far and would be worth the price of admission ($24.99 on Steam) and could turn into a great pick once we see the final release. It's certainly a game that I will play more of, and you can expect a review once the game is finalized.
More information.

I've enjoyed CRPGs with just average stories before, so that's not a major stumbling block. If they've nailed the turn-based hex combat system, which it sounds like, then it'll be a buy for me.

If all you want is hex based combat, then this game is fine, but I'm still not impressed. I want more from an RPG.

When I first saw this game in the media I was quite hyped for it. But as time has progressed I'm starting to hear more and more mixed feedback about it and admittedly my hype had dwindled quite much. I'll probably still get this, but more likely to wait for a 75% steam sale at this point.

The story in Blackguards is as average as in most other RPGs. Character development is known, since it's basically the same as in the Drakensang games. Different names on stuff here and there, but it's still very similar, with the exception that Blackguards opens up a bit earlier. The combat is great, the content density high, the repetition in combat surprisingly low. Only after 50+ hours I got the impressions that they're running short of tricks and the maps start to look similar.

The story in Blackguards is as average as in most other RPGs. Character development is known, since it's basically the same as in the Drakensang games. Different names on stuff here and there, but it's still very similar, with the exception that Blackguards opens up a bit earlier. The combat is great, the content density high, the repetition in combat surprisingly low. Only after 50+ hours I got the impressions that they're running short of tricks and the maps start to look similar.

I agree.
And the game gets really non-linear in chapter 3, lots of sidequests, locations, things to find. Even a few choices with consequences.

I agree.
And the game gets really non-linear in chapter 3, lots of sidequests, locations, things to find. Even a few choices with consequences.

Hmm that does sound more like it. If the trend continues in the last two chapters this might be better than expected actually.

Anyways, I have already bought it on Christmas and will probably be putting Eador aside(I doubt I will have finished it by then) when they release chapter 5 plus the first couple of patches (I would like the character creation one at least)…

I've played through the first 3 chapters multiple times and think its quite a fun game.

The turn based battles is where it shines though if your looking for great story or exploration then this game is not it unless the last two chapters are vastly different than the first 3.

Definitely worth a full price purchase IMO. Again though for the combat not the story.

Back
Top Bottom