Kickstarter - Data Hacker Initiation

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Ross informed us of his game named Data Hacker Initiation on Kickstarter. The game has already met its goal of 300 pounds, but it still has 30 days to go. So if this floats your boat, there is still an opportunity to pledge.
My brainchild; the #data//hacker series is a three-parter, and is based around an online game called 'Online World.' I draw a lot of inspiration from games such as Final Fantasy and the .hack series, but am sure to make this project my own.
Initiation follows Jay as he seeks revenge on the Administrators of Online World, who cruelly banished him from the beloved fantasy realm after a case of mistaken identity. Jay soon becomes entangled in the mess of corruption and deceit led by the infamous corporation.
While the core concept can be likened to the .hack series, I can assure you with no doubt that the game takes on a very different take, climaxing in Reboot, which I am hoping to develop in Unity 3D. More details on Initiation's features are detailed below.
I expect to be releasing the final version of Initiation in March 2013; the project is coming along steadily.
Core features of Initiation are as follows:A Branching, Immersive Storyline with a wide range of memorable characters that you can interact with on many levels
Continue your save file from Initiation into Corruption
An estimated 20+ hours of core plot content, with optional content making up many, many more hours.
Dungeon-based exploration, with each and every dungeon feeling unique and different from the last (no copy-paste dungeons like in .hack)
Dynamic world that changes based on your actions whilst playing
Recruitment system that allows you to make significant tactical choices
300+ Items of equipment, with over 30 classes to wear them, each with their own unique skillset.
Generic classes mature depending on your actions into unique classes such as the Noireknight, Dracokin, Bladedancer or Astromancer (and many more)
Lots of optional content including locales, bosses, dungeons, real estate, DodoBaird racing and a featured Card game named Trioarch!
More information.

£300? In what way is that amount going to help game development, no matter how small a project. Does he need a new office chair and computer table or something?

I do not like it when Kickstarter is being used as just a place to show off and sell a finished/nearly finished game, which is what seems to be going on here.

£300? In what way is that amount going to help game development, no matter how small a project. Does he need a new office chair and computer table or something?

I do not like it when Kickstarter is being used as just a place to show off and sell a finished/nearly finished game, which is what seems to be going on here.

I think it's because kickstarter doesn't have flexible funding system like indiegogo(like one grimoire uses) so they just put any very small amount so basically they take any funding they receive .Personaly I dislike system of flexible funding and I am glad kickstarter doesn't have it.

I think it's because kickstarter doesn't have flexible funding system like indiegogo(like one grimoire uses) so they just put any very small amount so basically they take any funding they receive .Personaly I dislike system of flexible funding and I am glad kickstarter doesn't have it.

Yep, I assume this is the reason. A failed Kickstarter means they get none of the money, so they ask for a very small sum to ensure that they get everything people donate.

Hey folks, Ross Tunney here (creator of #data//hacker).

I've just been notified of this article! Thanks to RPG watch for mentioning the project, exposure is greatly appreciated.

In answer to your queries guys, £300 just covers the game's original soundtrack. That's it. With stretch goals we can expand on the project further (we've hit £669, which has allowed me to commission some great artwork), but the only missing integral piece of the project was the soundtrack. It has been said that the soundtrack makes/breaks a game in this genre.

With regards to it being a 'nearly finished game', that's not the case. A lot of the core systems are in place, however the game itself is far from completion. This allows me to show off some half-decent screenshots, and have a working demo up and running for folks to try out, but there's still a long road ahead of me and those who have opted to contribute.

I'm happy to answer any other queries you guys might have, Ross

@Irian

.hack inspired the series, and there are those who have accused me of blatantly ripping it off (which clearly isn't true). It's not similar in presentation or gameplay, however it is likened in the sense of concept.

Back
Top Bottom