Gothic 3 - Community Patch v1.2 & JoWooD Statement

For one it didn't mention that there were problems with the us version and second you just have to backup your g3.ini and replace the new one with your old one. (last little bit wasn't mentioned but is what it was suggesting)

For one it didn't mention that there were problems with the us version and second you just have to backup your g3.ini and replace the new one with your old one. (last little bit wasn't mentioned but is what it was suggesting)

Maybe you should read through the thread again, it seems a lot of people are having problems after patching a non-German version with the 1.2 patch.

Edit.
It has to do with the patch overwriting the ge3.ini file with a German one. Some people have reported that even after making a backup of their .ini file and putting it back in after patching they are still having problems.

Last edited:
Um, Ultima 9 comes to mind. Only game I've ever seen to be so mucked up that they sent out a replacement disk. I've still got mine. But my gaming days go back far enough that I remember a time when releasing ANY patch at all was a sign of shoddy development, now a patch is a badge of honor saying "we didn't abandon our customers". Meh to the whole thing. Suffice it to say my gut reaction to your questions was "all of them?". Over reaction, to be sure, but many many games today are bug-ridden. Gothic 3 may be an extreme example, but not an unusual one.

Yes Ultima 9 was quite horrible I've heard, and yes many games today are bug-ridden regardless of where they're made. But Gothic 3 definitely can not be compared to "all of them". The average game isn't nearly that bad.

Of course I mean "bad" as far as play-testing is concerned, I still think Gothic 3 is a good game when compared to most other crpg's in this day and age.

Temple Of Elemental Evil is buggy as hell too - at least to me. Thank the heavens for Co8

How many US games can you name that were released as bug-ridden as Gothic 3 was?

Dungeon Lords
TOEE
Vampire tM - Bloodlines
Ultima 9 - Ascension
TES 3 - Morrowind
TES 4 - Oblivion
KotOR2 - The Sith Lords
Might & Magic 9 - The Writ of Fate
Descent to Undermountain

... and these are only the CRPGs.

How many US games can you name that were released as bug-ridden as Gothic 3 was?

How long have you got? There are hundreds.

Back on topic, yay for community patches, I'm sure they'll also do good stuff for the english version.

Just wait for the later versions if you´re worried about the reported problems with v1.2. Standardisation and compatibility tests are certainly on the FixTeam´s agenda.

Dungeon Lords
TOEE
Vampire tM - Bloodlines
Ultima 9 - Ascension
TES 3 - Morrowind
TES 4 - Oblivion
KotOR2 - The Sith Lords
Might & Magic 9 - The Writ of Fate
Descent to Undermountain

... and these are only the CRPGs.

Nah, the only games on that list that even come close are Dungeon Lords and U9. I can't speak for Descent to Undermountain because I've never played it, but the other games you mention don't compare.

I think it's odd that you listed Morrowind and Oblivion, but not Daggerfall which was far buggier than it's sequels.

Last edited:
I have to contest that statement about Oblivion being a buggy mess. It's the most stable, well-polished CRPG I've played. I played 40+ hours without a single bug or crash. Ironically, the only other recent CRPGs I can think of that didn't crash repeatedly were Dungeon Lords and DMoMM. Ouch. Every issue I have with Oblivion was a design decision made by Bethsoft.

On the other hand, as soon as I started using mods, problems started showing up. BTMod was the worst -- it regularly crashed back to the desktop when pulling up the overland map, and whatever damage it did stuck to the save files even after removing the mod.

There are some really great fixes in there if the English patch notes tell the truth. Apart from all the quest fixes:

By Unbekannt:
Corrected the stunlock of the hero by quick attacks, especially by wild boars.

By NicoDE:
The console will no longer be shown distorted.

By Unbekannt:
Reduces the noise of the flame sword.

By WernerTWC:
This Patch solves the problem which came along with the official Patch 1.12.
Like in the ”old” but patched Ambient-Sound-Bug, we have that loop-sound with multiple fire-sound-sources.
This patch silences the the problematic ambient-fire-sound.

By Freddy:
Replace the Hero's voice with not so importunately voices when he was hit by someone.

By Valfaris222:
Fix a mistake of the developers, improved memory managment, improve max. camera distance and doubled the vegetations view.

The last one probably are simpy ini tweaks, but still nice.

Patch or no patch, I still hate JoWood. : P

Though I *will* download this, when it's stable.

Cool. If I wait a few more weeks it could just be the right time to play Gothic 3 a second time.

I would have done that by now (I always wanted to play again as a heavy weapons guy and a mage) if this game wouldn't be so buggy. Perhaps I can even finish it a second time before Bioshock hits the shelves.

Back
Top Bottom