Sui Generis - Kickstarter Update #13, Blood, Fire and Shields

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Sui Generis kickstarter is currently still 30K pounds short of their 150K goal, but still have 39 hours ahead of them, so who knows.
In this update they show how blood, fire and shields are shown in the game.
We've had quite a few requests and questions about blood, fire and shields. What better way to show we intend to do these things than getting started on it? So, we got to work, made some early versions of these features and put them in a video for you!
BLOOD
We've added blood sprays for the more painful blows, the effect is still simple but we already see the potential of the animation resulting from all the physics. When our character rendering system is complete we plan to add lots of proper sticky yucky gore, wounds, dents and the lot. And not just on characters. For now we've made weapons get nicely spattered until they're covered in the stuff.
FIRE
Just a fiery pit for now but it's procedural, volumetric fire. It's 3D, there are no repeating animations, we can shape it however we want, make it envelop and react to objects etc. Those physics again. The colours need tweaking but we're pretty happy with this early result.
SHIELDS
We basically just strapped a shield to the character's arm and added some basic blocking behaviours. Even though we've done very little the physics are already doing a lot. Shields are supposed to be a big build choice and just as we hoped they're proving to be extremely effective.
More information.

Well… not as impressive as watching the first vid. But still a nice demonstration.

Anyways, it looks like they might actually barely make it. That might be a very close one either way.

Wow! It may actually make it. I hope it does.

They need a bit less than 1k hour to make it. *cross fingers*

It's going to be a nail biter.

I didn't think they had a chance so I didn't bother but looks like they might so I'm going over to pledge.

Hopefully they'll be a bunch of people that felt the same and they will make a late push and make it.

Seriously, who cares about blood splatters??? To me that just made it look worse. If it was only on killing blows it would make a bit more sense, but to spray on every hit like that just looks silly.

@Sakichop. Yes they had a stellar day yesterday, they have a real chance now. But they may need some big ticket backers again (like yesterday) to get there.

@tomasp3n. Well, it's fresh off the compiler, even less optimized as the rest. They already said it will be optional anyway:
Most gamers seem rather enjoy gore but many don't. We agree that it should be optional, it's not crucial to gameplay. Either way we're not going overboard with it, the aim is realism, not gratuitous gore.

Seriously, who cares about blood splatters??? To me that just made it look worse. If it was only on killing blows it would make a bit more sense, but to spray on every hit like that just looks silly.

I do. Actually, I think most games fail on that department.
In my opinion, blood and gore, when well done, help immersion very much. Blood and gore really caused an impact on me in a good sense after playing games System Shock 1 and 2 or Blood.

I'm glad they plan to be spending their time wisely, making armor dent rending technology. I've been saying for years, that's what RPGs need to really feel immersive.

Especially action RPGs, from an overhead viewpoint.

Wait, it's not just for characters? Oh, my prayers have been answered. Finally, a chance to put dents in barrels in RPGs.

They've been doing very well the past few days. I hope they make it! If not, then they're probably close enough that it might be worth retooling their message and trying again in a few months.

hm. I think they jumped up because many people upped their pledges (base don forum comments)? I can't - the next tier is 60 quid which is way more than I'm prepared to pay for what I have seen. While I did pledge, in a sense I think they deserve to fail because the Kickstater seemed to be something of an afterthought - "ok, we should post an update? Go to our forums!' 'we have a new t-shirt design!" WTF? People gave them good advice but they pretty much carried on dribbling out bits of info. Basically its a nice tech demo at the moment, and has evolved little over the last month. Anyone can promise the world - for an untried team Ive added a huge pinch of salt to their proclamations of 'best evaness'.

Yeah, yeah, I know there are all sorts of things wrong with the pitch these guys have made, lord knows I have my doubts as well, but I really don't see how this isn't worth a $15 speculative pledge from anybody who loves CRPGs.

It may suck, but it also may be really cool, and I've bought my $15 lottery ticket to see what we end up with....

Same here, Fantasm. Hope they make it.

Yup blood is nice, adds a lot to immersion for me too ;)

I don't mind a little blood. What I do mind is when glancing blows splatter blood all over. Not to say the video was that bad, but to me too much blood makes it look like a bad action movie where someone loses about ten litres of blood and then walks away. (Without looking at the explosion…)

If done right, it increases immersion for me too, but most if the time it just looks silly. Then optional is a really good thing.

Its almost 130k now and only 26 hours remaining. So looks like the last 24 hours is going to become quite a thriller.

Where is Jack Bauer when you need him? :)

Its almost 130k now and only 26 hours remaining.

Right now they need to average 781 pounds per hour for the next 26 hours to make it. Keep dividing the amount still needed by the number of hours remaining -- if it's getting bigger that's a bad sign, if it's getting smaller that's a good sign. I've found this a useful tool for getting a sense of how a close Kickstarter is going to turn out. (It correctly predicted the success of Hero-U, for example.)

Back
Top Bottom