Hard to be a God - English Demo and Screens

magerette

Hedgewitch
For those who have been patiently waiting for the English demo of this RPG from Akella and Burut based on the work of the Strugatsky Brothers, it's now available at Gamer's Hell and Computergames.ro where there's also a game summary:

The "Hard to be a God" game will be a thoroughbred role-playing game affirming all the best traditions of the genre. The storyline is non-linear presenting several story branches with 4 endings depending on the main character's in-game behavior.

The game utilizes a 3D-engine with free rotating camera. Wounds, weapons, armor and different equipment are shown on the characters' models.

One of the gameplay features is the interference of two epochs in the game universe – the medieval and the alternative future. This provides the peculiar variety of different weapons and armors – from swords and bows to miniguns, from full plates to force fields – and equipment like binoculars and night vision goggles at characters' disposal. The standard RPG equipment "doll" is amplified with slots for sword shoulder-belts and hidden weapon scabbards on wrists and arms.

The combat system features many different combos and special attacks (stunning, disarming, etc.) provided by some abilities and special weapon types. During a battle the character can be wounded badly which will diminish his attributes and require long recover, and even lose a limb or be decapitated by a strong attack of the opponent.

Worthplaying also has some new screens and a summary here.
More information.

I wonder if there are differences bettween this demo and the previous one. I already played the previous one and don't want to download the same thing again.

I recommend people who haven't tried this demo to try it because it was a really good game and I hope the final version is just as good or better.

I'm going to go ahead and grab this tonight.

That translation doesn't give me a lot of confidence though. The "Hard to be a God" game will be a thoroughbred role-playing game affirming all the best traditions of the genre.

Yep I think the translation's going to be the usual rough stuff. I actually enjoy that, sometimes myself. :)

guenthar, I think this may be the English version of the German demo they released in late December. AFA I can tell it's not much different from the updated Russian one that came out in late October. (It's 406 mb and the Russian was 410.)

Edit: First impression: The written script is rough, but the voice acting is competent(nothing to get excited about, but not hideous) Unfortunately it hangs and lags on my machine,is in 800 x 600 res and looks pretty grim. Don't know that I'm attracted.

Last edited:
Since this is just a demo and most optimization on a game comes at the end of production it should have a much better performance when released.

Hopefully so--I think some of my performance problems are the in the translation implementation area--that is, it's the dialogue that absolutely hangs--you select your answer and the screen freezes for about 30 seconds, then the NPC answer comes...it's like the game is sorting through language files for the right response or something. I'm not giving up on it for that though. We'll see how it does when I have some time to play the whole thing.

Probably the sound files loading, which would be something, in most cases optimized for final release.

I have never seen that in the Russian demo (the one I played) but my computer is a mid to high end computer.

Athlon x2 3800+
Geforce 7800 GT
2gb ram

Oh no Magerette, you changed your avatar. I was kind of getting into the whole sword wielding winged babes there ... *looks around slowly* ... What? You guys didn't think she was hot? ... oh never mind :blush:

Don't mind me, I'm having an identity crisis, fatbastard(). I decided the winged lady was too...angelic to represent my true character. I may end up back at the Bruxa before it's all over...:)

Anyway, @guenthar, my specs are pretty similar to yours.
P4 670 w HyperThreading(3.8 Ghz, 800 FSB)
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 533MHz
nVidia GeForce 7900GTX(512 MB)
It's the language implementation thing, I'm guessing, what with them releasing the German, English and Spanish versions all at once. Anyone else who dl's this in English, feel free to give your feedback.

Is it just me or the horseback fighting really really sucks?

Re: guenthar's quote...
[I wonder if there are differences between this demo and the previous one. I already played the previous one and don't want to download the same thing again.]

Here is list of changes with an explanation of the previous release situation.
http://burut.ru/eng/news/15-10-2007
Played the demo for 6 hours so far, has that true traditional feel. I wish the PoV angle was more horizontal (it's steeper than Dungeon Siege) the the horizon line levels to the same point even if zoomed, otherwise a great game. I ignore the lame translation faults - it's easy to follow.
I opted not to use a horse - they tend to go forward in leaps and bounds, i found exploring on foot more of a challenge.

For the sake of it's 'original differences' compared with some recent hollow offerings, i might just plump for the full english game when it becomes available.

Wulf--did you play the English demo version? If so, any freezing?

Hey there magerette,

Yes the English version, no stuttering, no freezing, no glitches, hard to fault really, ran like a well oiled clock. maybe your rig needs some vitamins! :x

Kthnx, Wulf--I'll do a little detective work. I had all kinds of things going on when I tried to play it----also sometimes my AV runs in the background and causes probs. I"ll give it another shot. :)

Is it just me or the horseback fighting really really sucks?

I agree with you, it's pretty bad. When I was on horseback, I could hardly hit anything with the sword. On foot, however, it's a different story; fighting is much more manageable. If I ever play the full game, I hope it will be improved, or else Jolly Jumper will stay in the stable. The darn beast is too frustrating to control anyway, especially with its tendency to advance way too much when I was only trying to do a small step to get closer to a target.

I tried the french version that was released this week too, and that version's translation isn't that great either. Furthermore, the voices were in english. It's really annoying when the voices and the text are in different languages. I hope this won't be the case with the full game.

Despite theses issues, the game seems nice.

I don't think horseback riding is supposed to be particularly easy. What does need fixing is the standing-still-slashing-downwards thing, but running past for a quick sweep works just fine if you got it in your fingers. It does take a lot of time to keep circling around enemies to do hit and runs, but I think that's more or less intentional.

I gave up after several attempts futzing around at the menu screen. After hitting new game, it stalls at about 80% loading progress.

Prehaps when I have time to figure out whats causing it i'll have another look.

I was meaning the differences bettween the fixed russian version and the English version since that was the one I played.

I also had difficulty with the horse combat and since I didn't have trouble getting around the map without the horse I didn't really use it much.

Back
Top Bottom