1Up - Are You A Child Man?

1UP has posted an article responding to Kay Hymowitz' opinion piece in the Dallas News, The Child Man, which asserts that today's young men live in a state of 'hormonal limbo' between adolescence and adulthood, and video games are part of the syndrome.
You know, I don't want to respond to the main article. However, you mentioned another article, which used Kay's original as an excuse to stand on a soapbox and complain about men even louder. In it, author Kate Muir basically dismisses a broad range of games and leisure activities as infantile, then bemoans:
Perhaps there’s nothing to complain of about this man-teen era, unless you’re a woman with a ticking biological clock, waiting for someone – anyone – to grow up.
Now this I want to respond to. And I don't want to respond with studies proving her notions are ill-conceived, nor do I wish to engage in a point by point rebuttal. Instead, I want to respond on an emotional level. And it is to say this. If you're going to diminish, demean, and derisively reject the things I enjoy doing, maybe THAT is why you're still sitting there with a "ticking biological clock." I mean seriously, Kay and Kate are playing this drama up as if men are shirking their very manhood. But maybe men are just shirking women like Kay and Kate, who come off as harsh, unbending, and derogatory. Who wants to marry that?

Indeed, they are the kind of women that want men as pets. If you have any kind of hobby or "brain" people that believe there is a "normal" in society want in some way to change or belittle it. They think they are some kind of authority on what you should/shouldn't do - in many ways it is detestable.

I once read (was it a study or not ?) that this actually seems to have influence onto thev male mating behaviour, so to say.

All of these models in advertisements in newspapers, magazines or whatever seem to shift or even distort the male perception of woman.

No doubt. Real women have curves!

I think that most of these anorexic-looking fashion models and such are put there by women decision-makers in the industry, thinking incorrectly that it's what most men find attractive.

I can only speak for myself of course, but I'd imagine that most guys would prefer their women a little chubby instead of rail-thin!

I can only speak for myself of course, but I'd imagine that most guys would prefer their women a little chubby instead of rail-thin!

In Spain, thin models aren't allowed anymore.

Well, at least theoretically ...

Word, Sammy. As I always used to say (before I was married, of course), "When I'm takin' a roll in the hay, I want it to feel like I'm with a woman, not a 9 year old boy".

As far as the fasion industry goes, I think it has more to do with it being easier to make their clothes look good on the runway or in a magazine spread if they're on a skinny model than anything to do with desirability of the model.

I 'm both glad and proud to say I've won my battle with anorexia. ;)

Lead me NOT into temptation!!!! There are just SO many comments I could make to your statement Magerette!! :biggrin:

And as a wise man, you've done the right thing not to make them. You don't need two pitchfork-weilding female opponents on the board, do you?:cm:

Back
Top Bottom