Ubisoft's new credo

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
If you're PC player - you're also a pirate. Says Ubisoft, not in those exact words, but almost.
In other words, their upcoming title whon't appear on PC at all, but instead PC players will be able to play some (crappy) MMOG. Why? Because their sadistic DRM had different effect than expected on not so masochistic players.

Ok, a decision is a decision, you won't develop a title for PC and that's it. Those interested in it will buy a console and if the game is good they'll also buy the game.
But practically calling me a pirate because I play games on PC is more than disgusting thing to say. I'm quoting Ubisoft's producer Sébastien Arnoult who says DRM free and piratebay are the same thing, obviously insulting all of us who enjoyed The Witcher by buying it from GOG instead from some pain-in-the-arse-DRM Ubisoft store. Not only that, he practically equalized GOG with piratebay too:

“We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’”

Source:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/11/23/g...-is-a-counter-to-piracy-says-ubisoft-producer

Can Ubisoft drop lower than this?

Hm, they're not that way off, I think.

I think so, because I have often heard companies saying that their free-to-play games are the only way they could be making money. Online as an effective DRM.
Because, on the other hand, their games would be pirated so much that especially smaller studios would be ruined, they say. And I really mean the smaller ones.

The really bad thing is, imho, that small developed are pirated the same way as big ones. And they learn.

No loss here for me. Ubisoft has never developed anything I've really liked anyways. Their best frachise is probably Assassin's Creed, and I can live without that.

The really bad thing is, imho, that small developed are pirated the same way as big ones. And they learn.

Pirates always spout the whole "fighting against the MAN" thing but they really do it because they can.

Yes, this is imho the worst thing : They just do it because they can.
This lack of inner philosophy, of any conscious reasoning is what I find sad, personally. It's as if people were never thinking about the results of what they do ... And now we have this Climate Change ...

Last year I watched a documentary on TV about an African region. People were axing trees there for getting something to use for cooking etc. . A man was asked about it, and he said he didn't care about the whole wood. He literally said "if the wood is gone, then I go somewhere else". This is the deepest and at the same time most bland philosophy of humankind. This exact philosophy enabled Humankind to evade bad environmental circumstances, but it also enabled Humankind to destroy exact these environments they wrre living in - simply because of this "there is always somewhere else to go to" mentality.
The pirated version of a game has been deleted on a pirate server ? Let's go to another one. We can always go somewhere else.
There are no more Mammuts left ? "Oh, don't be kidding, there are ALWAYS some left, we just need to go somewhere else !" That's the way Humankind killed Mammuts and other animals, I suppose (and science is getting more and more hints this exactly happened this way, too).

I heard reports that Ubisoft actually had increased problems with piracy when they launched their "always online" DRM, simply because people wanted to play the games, but not deal with the DRM (in my case, they just lost a few sales). This might just be Ubisofts following their own logic to the next level.

I'm not sure I understand their logic.

They implemented a strong DRM to prevent piracy, and certainly for most problematic "0-day warez" issue, they succeeded.

Now they change their plans? Why? They've prevented a lot of piracy, so naturally their games are selling well now?

They're not really changing their plans. An online game = always on DRM.

Sure, but that doesn't make his statement less odd. He's basically saying they're doing this as an alternate way of combating piracy. He's "giving them what they want" - suggesting that's better than a strong DRM without F2P.

Obviously, it's all bullshit and about maximising profit trying to exploit the F2P model. It has nothing to do with giving pirates what they want.

Back
Top Bottom