What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll eventually see a major film this year that doesn't disappoint me.
I'd try with Pacific Rim (should be in US theatres right now) and Snowpiercer (later this year). Those two are my plan to watch, or in other words I expect those two to be good.
There is also possibly good Ender's Game coming, but it depends what will Hollywood do, hopefully they won't massacre it like Jackson did with LotR.

I'd try with Pacific Rim (should be in US theatres right now) and Snowpiercer (later this year). Those two are my plan to watch, or in other words I expect those two to be good. WWZ didn't plan to watch at all.

Pacific Rim is still two weeks from being released over here (July 12th), but yeah.. I plan on seeing it.

I was a huge fan of Godzilla and similar movies when I was a kid, and PR looks like nostalgic fun.

Not the whole thing, but I've browsed through it. The movie is nothing like the book of course, but then I didn't expect it to be.

I was just wondering - my younger son saw it with friends (girl's birthday party, actually) and he had never read the book and also found it 'okay'. I enjoyed the book and therefore expect to be annoyed at the movie ...

I also saw Man of Steel, and thought it was an amazing CGI spectacle. The story was ok, but the look of it was amazing. The sound also. I never was a fan of Superman, either the old movies or the recent ones, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit.

I found the fights interminable and actually boring towards the end ... But enjoyed it more that I expected.

I saw World War Z last night.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll eventually see a major film this year that doesn't disappoint me. I really thought WWZ was going to buck the trend of generic cliches in movies like this. I was wrong.

You are far nicer than i am on this one. It had some cool bits and pieces, but overall it was quite frankly a dumb movie, and a pretty big letdown.

So far my #1 this year is the Evil Dead remake

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any memorable (new) films this year. I think I'm simply getting grumpier and harder to please as I age. I've seen so many older films that, even if a studio/producer gets creative with a screenplay (doubtful with 100-200+ million dollar budgets), I'm likely to see the plot coming from a mile away. And if I've caught a trailer? Well, then, forget about any surprises.

2013 flick with the most promise for me would probably be Side Effects. It got so twisted halfway in, however, that I didn't much care for it once the credits rolled.

I got both Expendables movies on blu-ray for my b-day, and tonight I watched The Expendables 2. Hah, this flick did everything so much better than the first one. It was a fun ride down memory lane, and it had Chuck Norris :). If there ever is a third installment, it should feature Steven Seagal ^^.

Man of steel

Just watched Man of steel and… can't say I didn't like it but can't say I loved it either. That was the best movie I saw recently, visually speaking, with great effects and a very good work done on the image giving a real personality to the whole thing but I disliked the story A LOT ! It departed too much from the classic Superman stories I used to read in the comics fifty years ago. Their Lois Lane is a lovely one, by the way ;)

I've just watched Wreck-it Ralph on Blu-Ray. And to everyone here, I'd say: Please watch this movie. It is a very, very nice movie with a good plot, a surprising twist at the end, and and message that should be well receiced.

Billed as a kid's movie, yes, I know. But adults can get a lot of this movie, too. Especially those os us who like video games, and who often have wondered the lilttle go in our games when we switch off our games. (Hint: think grand central station and hubs to different game stations). Also this, Centipede and Qbert gets an honorary mention as well as people game this game, Wreck it Ralph, retro at the end. But watch it also for the good story it has. And the unlikely main boss totally came as a sweet surprise....

As I have stated before, Wreck-it-Ralph definitely was my favorite movie of 2012. It even had the Konami code ^^.

And what is the Konami code?

It's a reference to an Easter egg code that gave you bonuses in certain Konami NES games. You would input the code as a series of button presses on your NES gamepad.

Iirc- up up down down left right left right B A B A

OK, I've watched the Ridley Scott movie Promotheus (on Bluray). And I simply do not understanding the ending in this film (or movie).

The movie ends with a alien of sorts crawling out of the monster that ate the big bad alien guy - but what is the message here? That this is another alien creator/developr race? or?

Also this; did they forget their iPhones or what?

The geologist is using some sort of flying things to map the dungeon, and so they map the dungeon. And yet, when they're lost and can't find their way back to the spaceship, they haven't access to the data - or they can't think of reaching out to the spaceship.....

I also watched a fine move, called the Quartet, about an opera quartet who meets again at a nursing home for elderly opera singers and musicians. The characters are witty, the acting elegant, and Dame Margaret Smith proves yet again why she is a very excellent actor.

ps: I also saw Ted....and what a bummer....both the bear and the movie...

OK, I've watched the Ridley Scott movie Promotheus (on Bluray). And I simply do not understanding the ending in this film (or movie).

The movie ends with a alien of sorts crawling out of the monster that ate the big bad alien guy - but what is the message here? That this is another alien creator/developr race? or?

The alien emerged from the body of the Engineer not the thing that killed him.

You can read more about it here -> Deacon

ps: I also saw Ted….and what a bummer….both the bear and the movie…

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with that one. There were a few parts that made me chuckle, but overall I didn't think it was as funny as some people claim. Neat cameo by Sam Jones though.

HI JDR

Thank you for pointing me to the explanation about the Deacon and also for clearing where the Deacon came from...

But does this mean that Aliens (from the Alien movies) created man? or? Does it mean this: The surviving crew memeber from Prometheus created the aliens? by mistake?

And why did the robot (David) seem to know about the fetus in human female protagonist's womb?

PS: Could it be that the Rachni Queen in Mass Effect 1 and ME2 were inspired by the Alien Queen.

Like wasps or termites, Aliens are eusocial, with a single fertile queen breeding a caste of warriors. The Aliens' biological life cycle involves traumatic implantation of parasitic larvae inside living hosts, which mature before erupting from the host's chest. Their design deliberately evokes many sexual images, both male and female, to illustrate their blurring of human sexual dichotomy.

I also watched a fine move, called the Quartet, about an opera quartet who meets again at a nursing home for elderly opera singers and musicians. The characters are witty, the acting elegant, and Dame Margaret Smith proves yet again why she is a very excellent actor.

ps: I also saw Ted….and what a bummer….both the bear and the movie…

I also think Quartet is an excellent film by a brilliant ensemble cast.

But does this mean that Aliens (from the Alien movies) created man? or? Does it mean this: The surviving crew memeber from Prometheus created the aliens? by mistake?

I guess you could say that David was ultimately responsible since he infected the scientist (Holloway) with the substance from one of the cylinders they discovered in the caves. That began the series of events that would eventually lead to the birth of the Xenomorph.

And why did the robot (David) seem to know about the fetus in human female protagonist's womb?

If you recall, they performed test on Shaw after Holloway became sick to determine if she was infected as well. That's when they discovered she was pregnant.

Hi JDR

Thank you again for clearing this up for me ;)

But the question in my mind is still this; Why did David do it?

Did he do it because he wanted the man the wheelchair (forgot his hame, the elder/older? gentleman to live forever? It seems to as if David, the robot, knew what he was doing? Did he maybe learn something from reading the ancient texts? on the rock walls? in the digs?
As for David infecting Holloway, it seems, at least to me, as if he knew something (bad) was going to happen to Hollway; he says something like: "Even big things start out sm
all."

And yes, I do recall it now that you mention it that Shaw got sick and they tested her. And yet David seems like he expected the fetus to not be a normal human fetus?

Back
Top Bottom