Fantasy Wars: Elven Legacy - Announced for Q1 2009

magerette

Hedgewitch
GamersHell has posted an annoucement that Paradox Interactive has signed Elven Legacy, a stand-alone add-on for 1C:Ino-Co's fantasy turn-based strategy title with rpg elements, Fantasy Wars. Here's a snip from the press release:
New York, USA (August 13, 2008) – Leading PC strategy publisher Paradox Interactive today announced a new release for late summer. The Fantasy Strategy game Elven Legacy isdeveloped by experienced studio 1C:Ino-Co, and is scheduled for a late summer release.

Elven Legacy delivers a world filled with magic, and a thrilling nonlinear storyline, gauged to provide many hours of gameplay for strategy enthusiasts. Through an epic quest to restore the former glory of the Elven race, this fantasy strategy game offers both depth and scope, all in colorful and inspirational settings.

Play as an elf or a human, in the two primary campaigns – or why not the Orcs, in a wide variety of bonus missions? With the accompanying tools, players may also create their own missions and campaigns, and share them through multiplayer.

"This is one of the best-looking TBS games I've seen in a long time, and it follows in the same spirit of games like Heroes of Might and Magic, Master of Magic, and Warlords Battlecry", said Paradox Interactive Executive Vice President Fredrik Wester.
More information.

Looks like they're really not stressing the rpg angle much here, but I know we've had some Fantasy Wars players on the boards so thought they might be interested in hearing about this.

I'd say TBS is experiencing a bit of a renaissance, what with this one, HoMM V, King's Bounty, Disciples III, Civ IV expansions and Battle for Wesnoth all out or coming out shortly...

I'd say TBS is experiencing a bit of a renaissance, what with this one, HoMM V, King's Bounty, Disciples III, Civ IV expansions and Battle for Wesnoth all out or coming out shortly...

Thats still very little. Westnoth is freeware, Civ4 (one of the few TBS to survive through ages) was released 3 years ago and homm5 was released 2 years ago. Disciples3 is a new one yet to be released but Im not really interested of the series. Kings bounty is yet another russian TBS game and Im most likely going to pick up that too.

Apart from the mainstream games theres a ton of small budget TBS released through companies like matrix games and battlefront. Their games rarely if ever reach the shelfs though.

Last edited:
I'll be picking this one up as well. I really enjoyed Fantasy empires. Another game that I hope 1C will make but probably will never is Ascension to the Throne. I was hoping that Fantasy Empires was going to be like that game. It wasn't but still it was a great strategy game, just wish they made they boards a little bigger sometimes.

You mean this, for sale at GamersGate? It came out last year, though the reviews I read weren't particulary impressive... or good at all.

I didnt even know about that game! Gamersgate buyers seem to like it:
I just finished this game from beginning to end. Total playing time approximately 30 hours. It tells a story and is fairly linear so don't count on replayability. There is no manual, and no tutorial but the mechanics are fairly simple so this is not a large oversight. I got no sound in my game except for cutscenes which was an annoying feature/bug (not sure which).

Once you get past all that however, both the turn-based strategy and the RPG elements are top-notch. I found the game very enjoyable and had a great time playing it. The armies you control keep getting bigger and more exotic at such a rate that I never felt the battles getting repetitious or boring. Even at 30 hours I consider this a great software value.

Have to say its not just russia releasing new mainstream TBS - its the entire old eastern block. Good example is the czech ufo extraterrestrial game that is simply ufo gold with the mods. One polish developer released a new ww2 europe TBS (big european map) just last week but the game is not mainstream though.

Last edited:
I'm wondering what "Elven Legacy" means - story-wise ...

All Elves extinct and then a pursuit of the remains, the ruins, the legacy ?

You mean this, for sale at GamersGate? It came out last year, though the reviews I read weren't particulary impressive... or good at all.
I played Ascension to the throne. I liked it, probably would have loved it too if it hadn't lost any sense of challenge about halfway through the game.

Back
Top Bottom