What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Damn, yeah I have heard of Dagon but was never able to locate a copy!

I may have to try and torrent it (of course I could buy used from Amazon but I am a bit wary/not a fan of used purchases, Hmm).

Last edited:
Damn, yeah I have heard of Dagon but was never able to locate a copy!

I may have to try and torrent it (of course I could buy used from Amazon but I am a bit weary/not a fan of used purchases, Hmm).

I'll try not to influence you to do something that will get you to burn in hell ;)

I recommend the low-budget "Dagon" - if you're into Lovecraft movies. It's not fantastic, but it's the best Lovecraft adaption I've seen.
+1. I have it on DVD. Pretty good stuff IMO.

+1 for Dagon. There's something about the low-budget horror movies I love and Lovecraft's work has been the source of several-- some good, some not (e.g. The Unnamable. OTOH Dunwich Horror was great). One of my all-time favorites was an Italian zombie movie called, interestingly enough: Zombies.

Re: Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 certainly did not progress as I thought and that was much for the better imo. As much as I wanted to love Season 1 I was underwhelmed. Season 2 has made me a believer. Suffice it to say Nucky never fails to surprise and was much more ruthless than I had thought.

I loved Dagon to bits. Funny it wasn't until I came here and saw it on HBO that I knew anything about it. Great great movie. Certianly low-budget, but that doesn't mean anything. It's one of the few movies I can remember from start to finish even years on down the line….

Ahh hell, now I'm going to have to watch it again.

I pretty much know what scene you're talking about and yes, it affected me as well.

The last few seconds of the movie had me scared, excited, sad and above all curious.

Most certainly would not call it crappy either. It had some b-movie vibe in a couple of places but that is not always such a bad thing.

And yeah, very effecting atmosphere especially on the first viewing.

Speaking of under appreciated Sam Neil movies (the guy can be so delightfully creepy) I need to dig up my mouth of madness dvd from the pile one of these days..

Considering how anemic the sci-fi horror genre is, it's hard to be picky. There's really only a handful of quality films out there.

I rented In the Mouth of Madness and Dagon today. You guys are a bad influence. ;)

Considering how anemic the sci-fi horror genre is, it's hard to be picky. There's really only a handful of quality films out there.

Very true, seems they stopped making them after a point too!

On the other hand there is a real surplus of (mostly crap) "Haunted house" type horror the last few years, that and glittering vampires :sick:. Guess there is a constant public craving for "cheese" that Hollywood needs to satisfy on a yearly basis!

Lets wait and see how Prometheus turns out at least…

Just a note - check out canistream.it ... it is a cool site that tracks streaming, rental, digital purchase and DVD availability for a huge number of movies. Looks like Dagon streams free on Netflix.

Thanks txa, useful site.

Alas, Netflix is not available to my neck of the woods. JDR's post reminded me I have not exhausted the brick and mortar rental stores though (I have found equally obscure titles in some places in the past) worth a try perhaps. Also if I like it enough to add to my collection I'll have to bite the bullet and buy used anyway it seems…

Last edited:
Sorry but I must say this. Event Horizon is one of those films I've had high expectations (after seeing the trailer) and it totally disappointed me.

Luckily for everyone, there are much better sci-fi&horror movies out there.

Haven't seen Dagon yet, but I'll trust you all and give it a try.

Lets wait and see how Prometheus turns out at least…

Definitely my most anticipated movie for the near future.

Sorry but I must say this. Event Horizon is one of those films I've had high expectations (after seeing the trailer) and it totally disappointed me.

I had the opposite experience. I went in with low expectations but was pleasantly disturbed. :)

I watched In The Mouth of Madness and Dagon last night.

Wasn't too impressed with Mouth of Madness, but I think my expectations were too high from reading all the praise. I found it enjoyable enough, but it was nowhere near other Carpenter films like The Thing or BTiLC, imo.

I liked Dagon a lot, despite the shoddy acting. It's been a long time since I've read Shadow Over Innsmouth, but I seemed to recall a few of the scenes that were shown in the movie. It also kept making me think about Call of Cthulhu: DCotE for obvious reasons.

One scene in particular that left an impression on me..
When the Deep Ones skinned Ezequiel alive. I wasn't expecting it, and the effect was surprisingly well done and quite disturbing.

The only thing that annoyed me about Dagon, as with most other Lovecraft film adaptions I've seen, is that they decided to make it take place in a modern setting instead of the early 1900s in which the original story took place.

Overall I thought it was quite good, but it won't replace The Resurrected as my favorite Lovecraft based film.

I liked Dagon a lot, despite the shoddy acting. It's been a long time since I've read Shadow Over Innsmouth, but I seemed to recall a few of the scenes that were shown in the movie. It also kept making me think about Call of Cthulhu: DCotE for obvious reasons.

The only thing that annoyed me about Dagon, as with most other Lovecraft film adaptions I've seen, is that they decided to make it take place in a modern setting instead of the early 1900s in which the original story took place.

Overall I thought it was quite good, but it won't replace The Resurrected as my favorite Lovecraft based film.

Looks I am in for a treat when I finally locate that movie.

I think part of the modern setting thing is the additional cost (costumes and settings)
of a "period" piece (and perhaps the popularity of period films in the time the film was produced ?). I too would have loved more faithful adaptations to lovecraft. Too bad about the cancelled Mountains of madness film btw, it sounded right up our alley :-/

Resurrected (Shatterbrain) is also one of the films I have not gotten around to watching yet, but the holidays are just around the corner :)

Too bad about the cancelled Mountains of madness film btw, it sounded right up our alley :-/

At the Mountains of Madness is one of my favorite Lovecraft stories. It could potentially make for a glorious movie, and it sounds like it was agonizingly close to happening. As I understand it, Guillermo del Toro is still trying to find a studio that will give him 150 Million $ and an "R" rating.

Resurrected (Shatterbrain) is also one of the films I have not gotten around to watching yet, but the holidays are just around the corner :)

It's an absolute "must see" for any Lovecraft fan imo. Have you ever read 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward'? It's another favorite of mine, and The Resurrected did a good job of conveying the atmosphere from the story.

It's an absolute "must see" for any Lovecraft fan imo. Have you ever read 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward'? It's another favorite of mine, and The Resurrected did a good job of conveying the atmosphere from the story.

Certified (iable ?) Lovecraft geek here, and I am partial to that particular novella too (coincidentally, I went through most of my Lovecraft Omnibus collection, again, just a couple of months ago). Well, I am partial to most of them tbh :)

Had no idea that del Toro was still trying to make that film, that is great really!
I'll keep my fingers crossed (but alas, not hold my breath)...

One scene in particular that left an impression on me..
When the Deep Ones skinned Ezequiel alive. I wasn't expecting it, and the effect was surprisingly well done and quite disturbing.

That was the scene I was referring to earlier ;)

We watched '30 minutes or less' last night. Had low expectations, and it wasn't a great movie, but it was entertaining for a saturday with my wife and older son both sick and younger son at the mall (with 3 girls, no less ;) )

Back
Top Bottom