Two Worlds - Review @ World 1-1

magerette

Hedgewitch
A site called World 1-1 has picked up a bargain bin copy of last years RPG from Reality Pump, Two Worlds and put up a scoreless review for it which goes through the game pretty exhaustively, mostly on the negative side:
The rest of the game is a murderous sequence of trial and error. While most other sandbox RPGs wisely assume that players are not reincarnated wizards and knights by easing them into their killing fields, Two Worlds can quickly kill you for simply wanting to explore. You will die, and die often, even after gaining several levels, from numerous wolves and boars that should be treated like so much fodder for beginning adventurers to sharpen their skills on. And if that’s not enough, ghosts come around at night to exact vengeance for killing them in the first place and if the player doesn’t have a magic weapon, they’d better start running. That last part makes sense, but in Two Worlds, it happens so often that I’m surprised Antaloor doesn’t have some form of anti-ghost league in place. All that is just at the beginning of the game.
It’s probably a good thing, then, that the enemy’s AI isn’t the smartest sword in the rack. My most often used tactic was in running circles around critters, watching them bunch up into mobs, and then picking at them until they die. Spells eventually become incredibly overpowered, especially at higher levels, allowing the player to reflect massive amounts of damage back at the enemy or leech the life from most everything by simply standing nearby…or by running in circles again until they drop dead. These cheap tactics come in handy in the beginning thanks to how deadly simple animals can be to a supposedly seasoned veteran, quickly giving way to near invincibility much later in the game as some kind of reward.
More information.

I'm a couple hours into this game and having a good time. The graphics on full settings are quite captivating. It seems most of the landscape textures and foliage were created very well. Some textures and lighting seem to be inconsistent quality though.

I'm happy I didn't pay full price for this game, but for 99 cents it can't be beat!

I have the Collectors Edition but can't play it due to some obscure regional checks that won't allow the game to launch. Sad thing is that they have not released a patch to remove it because I won't change my time zone etc.

I'm a couple hours into this game and having a good time. The graphics on full settings are quite captivating. It seems most of the landscape textures and foliage were created very well. Some textures and lighting seem to be inconsistent quality though.

I'm happy I didn't pay full price for this game, but for 99 cents it can't be beat!

Where were you able to get the game for 99 cents?

Two worlds is a great game. I almost bought the epic edition just for the heck of it, but I will surely buy the new Two Worlds Temptation game once its out
, it is looking to be even better.

After reading this guy's whining about OMFG you can actually die in this game and are NOT a re-incarnated demi-god playing dressup, so it's a good thing that he wasn't trying Wizardry 8 which isn't all that hard either, but he'd probably NEVER make it out of the monastery. (The guy's probably the pent-ultimate Oblivious fanboy.)

The graphics are actually at least as good as Oblivious on high settings and more varied IMO, while he is correct wrt the dialog being cheesey and the voice acting being over done, but I still liked this game.

The demo was very much fun and I ended up buying the epic edition. Its the biggest gamebox I have ever had and propably most featured too (nice letterknife!). As a game its propably more like 3d version of diablo-clone than som gothic style real rpg. If you dont like the hack-slash in it then you will be disappointed.

After reading this guy's whining about OMFG you can actually die in this game and are NOT a re-incarnated demi-god playing dressup, so it's a good thing that he wasn't trying Wizardry 8 which isn't all that hard either, but he'd probably NEVER make it out of the monastery. (The guy's probably the pent-ultimate Oblivious fanboy.)

The graphics are actually at least as good as Oblivious on high settings and more varied IMO, while he is correct wrt the dialog being cheesey and the voice acting being over done, but I still liked this game.

Umm no. The graphics were ok, but they did not even reach gothic 3 standards....itw as a hard game to like since it felt like they did not have the production values for the game that it should have. It did have some fun stuff, however I remember horse bcak riding was nasty.

The biggest complain I remember is that the horse doesnt always turn but thats just because it acts like a real horse. It refuses to run/turn towards walls or big rocks. Horses dont ride like cars or motorcycles. You cant just turn a wheel and run it into a wall.

I actually liked horse back riding and once I learned to avoid big rocks etc I had no problem with turning.

However later they made changes to the riding in version 1.6. I only tried 1.5.

Last edited:
Umm no. The graphics were ok, but they did not even reach gothic 3 standards.....

How many other games do reach Gothic 3 standards? Gothic 3 had far better graphics than Oblivion imo. I still have yet to play another RPG that looks as good as G3 does when fully tweaked.

I don't agree with that. Gothic three had even worse animations. Oblivion looked really good if your machine could handle it.

As for Two worlds...I take it back I don't even think it looks as good as gothic 3, certainly fun to play though since I installed it again after reading some stuff here. I guess I said gothic three because it reminds me of gothic in a way, just the overall look. They definately could have cleaned up two worlds though....I run at max and its pretty plain looking. Huge world though it seems...haven't played for into it since the last time I tried only spent like a few hours on it.

I have the Collectors Edition but can't play it due to some obscure regional checks that won't allow the game to launch. Sad thing is that they have not released a patch to remove it because I won't change my time zone etc.

I ran into the same problem with Once Upon a Night. Just change the region in the control panel. After I was done playing (2 days, that game sucked) I changed the region back. It's really not that hard and doesn't mess with your computer, but "to each his own" I guess.

Where were you able to get the game for 99 cents?

ebay. plus 4 bucks shipping.

And overall I'd say that the graphics are not as good as G3 either, but at the same time 2W doesn't seem nearly as buggy and it's loaded up and playing quickly. The bugginess, load times, and combat pretty much ruined my G3 experience - I never got more than 25 hours into it. As huge of a Gothic fan that I am, I just wasn't having enough fun with that one. I truly wish it ran as smooth as 2W.

Here's looking forward to Risen!

OK I'm up to level 30 now and gotta say this game really grows on you. I find that I am pretty over powering right now, however there are some monsters that can knock me out with one hit. Some things I see they could improve like ai for the creatures but they have a very cool layout of the world. And you know what? I enjoy the stacking of items to increase their stats its addicting. And alchemy is pretty deep in this. Any details on the new game comming? I'm hooked on this one now dammit. This, Sacred 2 and X3 have me realing....with a healthy does of saints row 2 on the 360:p

OK I'm up to level 30 now and gotta say this game really grows on you. I find that I am pretty over powering right now, however there are some monsters that can knock me out with one hit.

Are you playing the game on hard difficulty? People in the forum complained that the game became too easy too fast but they were playing on easy/average difficulty.

On normal...I generally don't play games on hards injce I wuold get frustrated and qujit and never come back....I don't mind the easy part of it now, I honestly get more fun of just adventuring around.

I need a bit of spoilerish help though....what are those sprite things flying around in some places I don't seem to get anything from them....and can't find anything on the net about them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom