Oblivion Oblivion Players and Fans Invited!!!

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Septim741

Watcher
I'm having a contest for an Oblivion Expansion of mine, and I thought that I'd invite the players and fans of Oblivion here to join in!

Oblivion Expanded Dungeon Contest
OE Contest #2

For this Oblivion Expanded contest, we want people to pick up their pens and pencils to write. We are asking the Oblivion community to write about a dungeon raid, making their own dungeon and story. There are three categories to choose from: caves, forts, or ayleid ruins. After the category is chosen, we only ask that enemies in the dungeon are enemies already in Oblivion.

A majority of the stories submitted will be seen in OE in their own book. There will be three winners, one for each category of the contest (caves, forts, and ayleid ruins). These winners will have their story in a book and their dungeon placed in Oblivion Expanded as accurately as possible, including loot and enemies.

To submit you book and enter, just send it to me in a PM on Gamingsource, Bethesda Game Studios Forums, The Hermetic Synod, or RPGWatch. If you post it, just be warned that your ideas might be taken.

The deadline is August 31, so get writing!

Please, join in if you can!

Well, Modders have already created a RPG out of a interactive Screensaver (Ultima Lazarus out of Dungeon Siege). Maybe they can create something good out of Oblivion too :)

The modders saved Morrowind, and the modders saved/will save Oblivion. As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda simply creates a decent world and then passes on the tools to the modders.

I have no doubt that the modders will make more good stuff for Oblivion, but it won't make me pick up the game again - after "completing"(guilds+main quest) it twice, I've had my share for a very long time.

The modders saved Morrowind, and the modders saved/will save Oblivion. As far as I'm concerned, Bethesda simply creates a decent world and then passes on the tools to the modders.

I have to slightly disagree with you on that. Morrowind was still a very good game even without mods, especially with the expansions.

@JDR13: I'm currently replaying vanilla MW (GotY) for the nth time, without a single mod. Last time through I used several mods like Better Bodies, Rhedd's Heads etc, but frankly - although very beautiful, they destroyed the game's wonderfully outlandish atmosphere for me, so I went back to 'ugly'.

@JDR13: I'm currently replaying vanilla MW (GotY) for the nth time, without a single mod. Last time through I used several mods like Better Bodies, Rhedd's Heads etc, but frankly - although very beautiful, they destroyed the game's wonderfully outlandish atmosphere for me, so I went back to 'ugly'.

9th time!?!! Holy shit woman you have a lot of free time! :lol:

I've only played Morrowind once and I put about 200 hours into it.

I think Jaz meant 'n'th time which means a lot...

EDIT: n is an unknown, the same as x,y,z,a,b,c. It is less common, but is mostly used sums, i.e.: a(subscript n) = a(s1)+a(s2)+a(s3)+...
Something like that :D

Last edited:
Yup, it was 'n' for 'no idea how often I played it'. Actually, finishing most of the quests in vanilla MW (without addons) for the first time took me roughly 18 months, thus toppling Daggerfall which - up to then - had held the record with 7 months. Then I got Tribunal; I started with a new character, but instead of ignoring the MW main quest I did that one again, too. I never managed to find a copy of Bloodmoon until MW GotY came out... and so I played (and finished all main quests) once again with a new character, this time with MW and both expansions. Then I fiddled around with a new character who became a vampire pretty early - too early, it wasn't all that funny, and I stopped playing him after he reached level 12.
Then I played MW with several of the mods, but didn't finish either main quest with this one, either.
And now, after a long pause, I whipped out my GotY discs to (re)play the part of the game I liked the best - acquiring houses. Started a few weeks ago with a new character and got my last - more or less legal - house yesterday, at level 30. I now officially own the Hlaalu quest Rethan Manor and the Raven Rock Manor as well as the Balmora Council Club, the Redoran and Telvanni house quest manors, the mad summoner's house in Mournhold and some other empty sheds and hovels - I marked them all by travel lanterns. Since getting all those houses was my primary goal, I'm finished now, but I found myself engrossed in continuing some of the main questlines this morning :).

While I definitely enjoyed Oblivion, I finished the main quest one only once; did the thief quests along with this during my first run. I tried a second run with a few mods (just three: borderless Cyrodiil, Dremora player characters and new horses) and progressed really far into the main quest and mages guild questlines before my computer ate itself. I reinstalled Ob on my new rig and played a few assassin quests, but that's never been a profession I enjoyed, so I stopped playing after a while. Never got around to get the addons, either.
Level scaling and all that aside, Oblivion never got to me the way its predecessors (after Arena) did. Despite some really good questlines (namely the thief guild quests) and beautiful character generation, Oblivion somehow felt small and too generic. It felt nearly as small in scale as Redguard! And while the idea of revisiting the planes of Oblivion in this game had me all excited, the iteration of the same random locations took most of the excitement out of the experience. Battlespire had done the Oblivion part better IMO, and even had the more memorable NPCs.
Oblivion returning to Daggerfall mechanisms where the acquisition of real estate was concerned was a grave error in my book. While buying houses felt fine in Daggerfall, it felt stale in Oblivion, especially after having enjoyed the Morrowind experience. This, and the facts that a) you couldn't sleep in an empty house which wasn't yours and that b) light sources like candles and lamps were fixed and not transportable lessened my joy even more.
So while I'm not averse to Oblivion per se, it didn't cater to most of my basest gaming needs and thus chances are slim that I'll replay it. And while I'm not averse to modding, I prefer to enjoy my games in a vanilla state.

EDIT
Oops. That was long and pointless. But I have to live up to my title, you know ;).

Last edited:
I never play it without various mods that add a little "Gothic" to it, making the NPCs more interesting and so on. Can't recall what the mods name was, but you should be able to find it on every mod site, it's amazing. I also mod away the annoying birds, I just can't stand them, they ruin the whole experience for me.

Completely off topic, but a decent read. Thank guys!

I can relate Jaz when it comes to MW.

I choose to play the game as it was originally designed, with the exception of switching around a few of the different armors so that my characters are dressed as I want them to be. Some of the armor designs are hideous, it just doesnt look right at all, especially with a female character.

I actually play Oblivion vanilla as well, except for my armor-switching shenanigans. I demand that my characters look good!!

but yes, I hate to say it, (because I really wished it to be the other way around) but in my heart it will always be MW>OB. I still like Oblivion, but I love MW.

Nerevarine 4 life ='.'=

I can relate Jaz when it comes to MW.............................but yes, I hate to say it, (because I really wished it to be the other way around) but in my heart it will always be MW>OB. I still like Oblivion, but I love MW.

Nerevarine 4 life ='.'=

MW's still better than Oblivion?. I played MW a lot couple years back. Havent got my hand on Oblivion though:(, as my computer is about 6 years old now. Thinking of getting Oblivion after build myself a new system this fall. But there're tons of good action games come out too...

Contest people, not debate. All this belongs in the "Let's Rant and Rave about Oblivion" thread.

To clarify what I meant when I said "The deadline is August 31, so get writing!" I was talking about the contest, not Oblivion in general.

Thanks tho. lol

Did everybody who was posting here die, or is it just me?

I didn't realise you were dead, my deepest condolences!! :)

Back
Top Bottom