What games are you playing now?

I purchased a new boxed copy of RotH less than a year ago on Ebay. Iirc I paid around $25-$30 for it. You can get a used copy for far less.

It's a game that's definitely worth paying for.

ROTH = Realms Of The Haunting ?

Without going into a discussion about the morality of abandonware etc - you should realize that this game is on 4 cds. I would advise against playing a "stripped" version without movies.

I found that it was pretty easy to find (cheap) copies of the game on Ebay, so that would be my advise. I bought it from the UK for 8 pounds. It was worth every penny :)

Yes, Realms of the Haunting. Finished it a few minutes ago. Ah... so nice. Though I must admit that it's not all THAT spooky if played for the nth time, in windowed mode and in bright daylight. The experience was a bit different when I played it for the first time back in '96 or so - at night, on the full screen and with headphones. The Templars, however, give me the willies no matter what...

Yes, Realms of the Haunting. Finished it a few minutes ago. Ah… so nice. Though I must admit that it's not all THAT spooky if played for the nth time, in windowed mode and in bright daylight. The experience was a bit different when I played it for the first time back in '96 or so - at night, on the full screen and with headphones. The Templars, however, give me the willies no matter what…

Wow, that was quick :)
I'm currently in chapter 16, collecting brains (finally found the last one - that took a while!)

Which enemy is it exactly that you are calling "Templar"? The guys in black suits that shoot at you?

Wow, that was quick :)
I'm currently in chapter 16, collecting brains (finally found the last one - that took a while!)

Which enemy is it exactly that you are calling "Templar"? The guys in black suits that shoot at you?
Well, I'm at home because I'm sick, so I had lots of time on my hands :).
The brain
behind the brain machine
was always the last one I collected because I tend to forget all about that one.
Oh sorry, I used 'Templar' to describe the
undead cyborg knights you meet when you venture behind the bookcase for the first time in chapter 1 or 2 IIRC
. I absolutely hate the noises they make.

Last edited:
The brain
behind the brain machine
was always the last one I collected because I tend to forget all about that one.

Well, then I hope you get better soon!

The brain was also the last one I found! It was soo evil to put one there - especially because
there's also one in front of the machine
to make you think you've found everything in that area :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. Spoiler tags added.

I would like to humbly offer my services as corporal administrator if this particular breach of forum etiquette is found to require the offending party receives a spanking.

As for my gaming, I'm back on Morrowind now, running around inside the Ghostfence playing dodge'em w/ the casters within. It's pretty fun playing a ranged character w/ ranged mobs in this game!

I FINALLY finished the HoMM V campaign (original game). After many stops and starts, it's done. It was fun, but at times, too repetitive, forcing me to take breaks. The best part was learning how to build heroes for each of the factions and learning how to use the different faction units. I think the simplistic town building and resource collection aspects were more of a distraction than fun (unlike MoM towns which I found much more interesting).

SO, no HoMM V expansions for now. Sometime soon, though. I'd want to finish those before trying HoMM III.

Now I am playing Age of Wonders for my first time. Just starting, but it sure looks simplistic when compared to Master of Magic (especially the town building and spell set and even units and magic power management). I do like that it has a campaign rather than just random maps scenarios.

I FINALLY finished the HoMM V campaign (original game). After many stops and starts, it's done. It was fun, but at times, too repetitive, forcing me to take breaks. The best part was learning how to build heroes for each of the factions and learning how to use the different faction units. I think the simplistic town building and resource collection aspects were more of a distraction than fun (unlike MoM towns which I found much more interesting).

Congrats on finishing the game. I thought it had quite a few maps that were very tough! Funny thing that you found the town building to be "simplistic". I thought it was just about perfect - but then again, I'm a complete "stategy-game-noob" - so any more options and I would have felt overwhelmed :)

Yes, the ranger and dungeon maps in particular were VERY dicey! Actually, those motivated me to finish since the others were getting too easy / routine. I got very luck with the wizard build at the end - specialized in dark, light, AND summoning magic and got all 3 of the best 5th level spells by the middle of the 2nd map - puppet master, resurrection, and summon phoenix. It almost became too easy!

My issue with towns is that their development became very rote very quickly - you almost always followed the same build order for each faction once you figured out what was most important. Most notably the general build order strategy didn't vary much from faction to faction - so after umpteen maps, that aspect of the gameplay become repetitive quickly and not so interesting for me.

Last edited:
Not much time to actually play games right now. However, I have been watching downloaded longplays on my PSP for games I oughta play but lack the resources to do so. I recently watched Killzone on PS2 as I might play Killzone 2 on PS3 later.
Then I downloaded a video for Halo 3 since it's one of few XBox 360 games that is of any interest for me. (Lousy game, good story). I wonder if this is considered piracy. :)

It's quite fun to watch if you watch someone who really knows the game as far as I concern.

Venetica arrived today. Now, if only I could read the Chinese manual!! :)

Sorry about that Corwin. I could have sworn I said the manual was in Chinese. :)

You really don't need it. Just load her up and away you go. The tutorial covers everything. Everytime you learn something new about your character an in-game help system will explain what it is and how to use it. I've gotten so used to not reading manuals now I hardly ever look at them. I really wish that wasn't the case though.

Anyways, if you have any questions just ask. One little hint that frustrated me at first. In the very very very beginning you'll come across a burning door. JUST KEEP HITTING IT :) I hit it once and the animation made it seem like I was getting burnt by the fire so I figured the exit must be somewhere else. It's not. Keep hitting the door till it breaks.

Last edited:
The burning door was not a problem, the ladders which turned off all my movement was!! :)

Took a break from FO3 this morning to try Dead Rising 2.

It was fun for about an hour, before I got sick of doing the same thing over and over again. Very shallow game, and this damn PC version won't recognize my Logitech controller. :-/

I loved Dead Rising 2. Passed it multiple times getting multiple endings. I like the fact that I have to take care of my daughter or she'll go all zombie on me :) Adds something to the game.

The other timers are a little annoying and there is no infinite mode. The closest thing that comes to that is to fail the first mission. Then just go around surviving in the Sin City until the game ends and you start a new game. Your character's experience and combo cards transfer over to the new game.

@Corwin Don't forget to apply the patch. That is a must with the game or you'll get all kinds of weird stuff going on. Plus, if you have any trouble with the game that link I pm'd you a long time ago sends you to a tool that will fix any broken quests you may encounter.

I couldnt play dead rising because the text was so small and blurry on my tv. It seems like the last thing that would matter in a zombie slaying game, but it really crippled the experience for me. If time want such a factor, maybe i could have swung it. Is this a problem in 2?

Back
Top Bottom