Tabula Rasa - Launch Announcement

Inauro

Watcher
NCSoft has published a press release announcing the launch of Richard Garriott's Tabula Rasa.
AUSTIN, Texas, November 1, 2007— NCsoft®, the world’s leading developer and publisher of online computer games, announced today that Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa®, a massively multiplayer online (MMO) game for the PC where players are thrust into an exciting intergalactic struggle, launches commercial service in North America and Europe on November 2, 2007.
“Now the fun begins! I can’t wait to join thousands of other players in this exciting galactic war,” said Richard Garriott, the game’s executive producer. “It is time for us to release Tabula Rasa to the players. I am eager to see player reaction to the game, and am ready to build on what we’ve started here. We’ve got plans for new features and expansions for the foreseeable future and I’m hoping the players will enjoy the game and get excited about what’s in store for them next!”
Tabula Rasa, one of the most anticipated PC titles of the year, is the vision of gaming legend Richard Garriott. The game combines a rich game world and deep storyline with military combat and fast paced action. Set in a near-future science fiction backdrop, players must fight to save humanity against hostile alien enemies trying to gain control of the universe.
“Dell and NCsoft have worked together closely over the past few years,” said Michael Dell, chairman and CEO of Dell Inc. “I think Richard has really created a compelling game in Tabula Rasa. This game gives those who enjoy role-playing a rich and deep experience, while appealing to action gamers too. He’s taken this game beyond being the next MMO entry into the field. It really is a fun, fast paced combat game that provides even more depth for players who want it. I’m excited to join the fight!”
The game introduces several innovative elements to massively multiplayer online games, including a Character Cloning System™ that allows players to explore different character classes without having to create a new character, and dynamic battlefields where players feel the frenetic action of combat in an ongoing war.
“We are all very excited about the addition of Tabula RasaTabula Rasa’s science fiction background and military combat action proves to be enjoyable to many types of gamers.” to our catalog of games,” stated Robert Garriott, CEO of NCsoft’s North American operation. “One of NCsoft’s goals is to provide different types of online gaming products – both within the ‘proven’ fantasy genre and outside the genre, as well. This game is truly unique; we hope that
The standard edition box of Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasahttps://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl). Customers will be able to purchase the Limited Collector’s Edition box from major retailers at an expected retail price of $69.99. Both products include the first month of online game play. After the first month, players will be charged a monthly subscription fee of US$14.99. Sixty-day game time cards will also be available at many North American retailers for an expected retail price of US$29.99. The game is rated Teen by the Entertainment Software Rating Board.
More information.

Is anyone here going to play this?

Being old enough to remember Richard Garriott when he was the star of computer role playing games I can't help but feel remorse.

Why would you feel remorse for a guy that has his own castle...duh perhaps he'll just retire to the good life after this game.

I tried to find more comments about this game today but got only few who said they find the game mediocre at best. The lack of enthusiasm for this game is just amazing.

Multiplayer space shooters like Freelancer can be lots of fun, and so are space trader games. But I heard terrible things about Eve Online, the previous space-based MMO.

What does tabular rasa have to do with space shooters? :) TR isnt really a shooter even (it looks like that but its not). Shooting is based on dice rolls not twitch movement.

Eve online is the worst excuse for a space sim I have ever seen - if you can even call it at that. Its more like space RTS with one hand mousecontrol than anything simulatorish. And there is absolutely no shooting in it.

I find the old xwing series 10x more fun than eve ever was.

Last edited:
What does tabular rasa have to do with space shooters? :)
I've found that a lot of that community is into role-play. About half the Freelancer multiplayer hosts were "role-play servers." I imagine they'll check it out, and so will the X2 - X3 players.

It's a contradiction, but the lack of player-skill combat could be a real turn off for a lot of the space game crowd.

Why would you feel remorse for a guy that has his own castle...duh perhaps he'll just retire to the good life after this game.

I tried to find more comments about this game today but got only few who said they find the game mediocre at best. The lack of enthusiasm for this game is just amazing.

I don't feel remorse for Richard. I feel remorse because under CRPG in the dictionary it says Ultima. Like you said, I wish there was a reason to be enthusiastic about Tabula Rasa.

I just wish he still had the ability to revolutionize.

I've seen the big black box today here in Germany.

I think constantly trying to revolutionize got him into trouble.

U6, U7, and the Underworlds couldn't run on most machines at the time (although the UU's weren't actually Origen). U9 as well. U9, if you remember, built a 3d environment where the player could walk up and down areas without transitions.

I think only U1, U3, U4 and UO were the only huge leaps that went without a hitch.

Other games like Moebius and Omega were terrific and the latter a huge leap forward in concept. And of course they were at the forefront of Space Sims with the Wing Commander series.

I don't think the Lineages have done well with his new company but I don't think they would don't think they would have done well if published by anybody in NA. Not without a sweeping overhaul in game play. This I say with some ignorance of the Lineage II but the first one I understand is all about massive co-op play and is more suited to a Asian culture than Western, especially when played in large internet cafe's.

More than anything, I think the company needs to get something that both works and sells well this time rather than doing something bigger and better than what's ever been done before.

I played in the beta for a bit (only got to level 6 or so). It played just like WoW but instead of atmospheric, it just felt bland.

The words fun, fast paced combat are to me, an oxymoron. Plus, I don't buy/play MMO games where there is a monthly fee. Sorry LB, just not interested!! <Yawn>

The words fun, fast paced combat are to me, an oxymoron. Plus, I don't buy/play MMO games where there is a monthly fee. Sorry LB, just not interested!! <Yawn>

Couldn't agree more. I'm still waiting for LB to make a single player game again. I don't care if it's mice in space and you play a plucky mouse in search of the codex of ultima cheese. Just make anything that is a single player game, please. I thought that is what made LB famous in the first place, but he got it into his head that MMOs is where his vision of a great RPG will ultimatly (pun intended) become reality.

Well, looks like I'm getting a review copy / account for this ... we'll see how it goes ... can't say I'm thrilled, but it is likely to be better than 'The Bee Movie Game' I am also getting ...

I played the beta for what? Four hours? Yeah, maybe four or five. I didn't even care to keep the big download on my HD - that should tell you what I think of it...

U6, U7, and the Underworlds couldn't run on most machines at the time

Don't underestimate the Power of the Dark ... err... Dosbox ...

Back
Top Bottom