Terraria v1.1 Patch is Out

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
And it's fantastic. There are so many new additions to the game I don't even know where to start. Instead of talking about it I'll just show you. Here is a video of the 1.1 patch. If you haven't got it yet I would highly recommend you pick it up. Especially if you like Minecraft. It's surprising how much fun this 2D minecraft-like game is.

Oh btw, I think they are trying to show off the different colored lighting in this one since there is so much going on. It's not always flashy like that.

I knew you were a bad influence when I met you.

Just bought it.. I'll try it tonight and let you know what I think.

Good luck guys. It's a little odd in the beginning. You need to get used to how the game works, but once you do you'll be digging for hours.

Here are some helpful hints. Build a home before night falls. The zombies will kick your butt, not to mention the flying eyeballs. Nasty things in the beginning. The axe is for chopping down trees, pick is for digging, sword is for fighting and hammer is for knocking things down. Everything can be destroyed and collected. You just need the right tool. Also chop down trees at the base of the tree. The whole thing explodes with wood and acorns. If you don't chop it at the base it will leave a stump that you'll have to chop down all over again.

You can build your home out of anything. I use stone normally, but wood works as well. Put the wood in your hotbar, click the wood and then place it. You'll need walls as well.

Here's a beginner's guide
that I used when trying to figure out what the heck was going on. No tutorial, it just dumps you in the game and says, "Go for it."

Be careful of corruption areas. They are hard. Dig down first and find some crystal hearts to increase your health. The swamp is also bad news. Everywhere else is ok.

You can talk to your guide. Click crafting and then drop any material in the box and it'll show you everything you can make with it and what you will need.

If you need anymore help, just ask. I'm not an expert, but have logged in over 60 hours playing this dang thing. If you're not careful you'll start creating towers and homes for hours on end…..I know that's what I did. I had to get everything just perfect.

Got it installed and I'm trying to get the hang of it. Couple of questions..

First, is there any way to pull up some kind of map, or do we just have to try to remember where everything is?

Does the world size have an effect on difficulty? I choose "large". Is that a mistake for a first-timer?

So far it seems like a pretty fun timesink. My only complaint is how slow the digging is, and I wish you could remap functions to the mouse.

*Edit* Er.. how do you place doors? I've made a small structure, but I seem to have walled myself in. I have doors in my inventory, but it won't let me place them. Also, how do you remove walls you already placed? I'm talking about raw wood walls, not the backdrop blocks.

Last edited:
There's no map, but they do have hacks that will show you the whole map. I don't like to use them because they won't just show you what you've explored. They'll show everything. Like where the jungle is, sky cities, corruption, ore, treasure chests, everything. Here's the one I've used before. It's helpful if you are starting to get bored, but half the fun with this game is finding things out on your own. It's compatible with the latest patch.

I'd use medium. Large is really large. Best used with multiplayer. Small is a little too small. You'll find good ore way too quickly and not as many cool areas to explore. Medium is what I always choose. I've been tempted to try large, but seriously medium is pretty big.

I'm not sure about difficulty being affected, but having a huge area will be pretty hard getting around in the game. It'll take forever and a day to get to the ocean.

From Terrariaonline Wiki: Getting Started

Small worlds are compact. The oceans are much closer to the starting point, and the entire world is not as deep. The Corruption is only in one or two places.

Medium worlds are well proportioned. Traveling to the edges will take roughly a day of time, depending on how well the character is equipped. The Corruption is in two or three places.

Large worlds are massive. To reach the deepest sections of the map will take quite a while, and the oceans are easily days apart. The Corruption is in three to four places.

It used to be faster if you set it to "frameskip", but it did make the enemies quicker as well. Still would have prefered if it was a bit faster. With better picks you'll mine faster. I have a silver one right now and it's a definite improvement. Same goes with axes and hammers. The better quality the faster you go.

You have to have a entry point three blocks high to place a door. No more, no less and put the door in your hotkeys then place it by clicking near the top of where you want to place the door. It should place it then.

Something like this: * = wood(or whatever you are using) + = empty space
Put the door on the top +

+
+
+

For wooden walls you use an axe instead of a pick to remove them. I make that mistake a few times when finding wooden houses underground. If I haven't played in a while it'll take a second to remember that I need to use an axe.

Thanks for the tips.

When they say "a day", are they talking about real time? If so then yikes! I think I'll start over with a medium size world.

Pretty cool game so far. I just found my first underground pond, complete with jellyfish.

OMG NO, not real time. An in-game day. Not sure how many minutes it is, but it goes by pretty quickly.

Don't drown :)

EDIT: Almost forgot the most important tip. When you've had enough digging and want to get back to your house you don't have to go back the way you came. Just "save & exit". When you restart you'll be back at your home.

I make tunnels going straight down or a criss cross pattern so that monsters won't drop on my head while making it. I put wooden platforms so that I can just push down and drop down. It makes getting back to where I was a lot easier. They take a while to make though. You can also make a bed and an underground house. Click on the bed and when you restart the game you'll start at that position, but you have to make a complete house with walls and everything just like on the surface. Comes in handy when you start getting close to hell. You will die many times in hell….many many many times :D

I bought this the other day when it was on sale for $2.50 and I totally love it so far! I can really see getting addicted to this as I enjoy exploration and building.

Thanks for the newbie tips Skavenhorde. I also have read that guide you linked and it helped get me started.

One question about the guide NPC - does he ever get killed? The one in my world seems to have disappeared - I remember seeing him getting attacked by zombies but I'm not sure if they killed him or he just wandered off somewhere. If he is gone will I be missing important info?

If any NPC dies then they will reappear sometime later. I'm not exactly sure what happens when you don't have a house for him yet. He probably reappears at the spawn point.

He might have been stuck somewhere or fallen down a hole or he actually got killed. You'll see a message saying that "The guide has arrived." when he's back. You normally have to get away from your home before the NPCs reappear.

The best thing about the guide is "crafting" you place any material in that box while talking to him and he'll show you every recipe used with that material. The creator added a lot to the game so I'm using the guide quite frequently again.

When you build him a room make sure you put him on the second floor. He has a habit of opening the doors at night and letting a horde of zombies in to kill you. He's either a really dumb guide or has an evil streak in him :D

One more tip: Don't bother making chests. You will find a ton of them while exploring. Take everything out of a chest you find and use the hammer on it to get it. Then bring it back to your house and you can store your stuff in there. You will need a lot of chests.

Thanks Skaven. I guess I could wait and see if he reappears but I might possibly start up a new world to make sure I have easy access to the guide. I'll keep him better protected this time!

At least I haven't built anything too extensive yet so restarting isn't a big deal. And now I know a bit more of how things work.

I restarted a couple of times when I first started out. It's normal :) But don't worry about the NPCs being gone for good. I had one stuck down a hole even when I went very far away from the house. I'd come back and he'd still be in that dang hole. I moved his room and now he's fine.

That's a new feature as well. You can move where their rooms are. Before you couldn't do anything about it, but now there is a little house button to the right when you push esc. If you push the house you'll see the different flags for the different NPCs. Just click a flag and place it in a prepared room/house. It has to have a table, chair, light source, walls and a door. If you meet that criteria then you can place the flag there.

Use wood platforms in your house. It makes it easier getting to the upper floors since you can jump through them and you can push down to drop down. I use them a lot in the mines as well.

There's a lot to find and do in this game. Have fun.

Oh and one thing that was really annoying because I didn't find this out till much later in the game. Make a bottle and place it on a table or workbench. You now have an alchemy station. Don't be afraid to use potions or make them. They'll help a ton. Especially the splunker potion, ironskin, health (of course) and anti-gravity potion. To make potions get bottled water and then check it out with your guide to see all the different potions.

I had loads of fun with this game when I was playing it months ago. I forsee myself getting drawn into it again now.

Just finished a 5 hour session. I think I have a new all-time favorite indie game. :)

I've got a complete set of copper armor now, and a Ruthless Iron Broadsword. Also built a good size two-story house.

What happens if you just keep travelling in one direction? Will you eventually wrap around back to the other side?

Nope, you'll hit the ocean and then the side of them game. Same thing with going up and down. I tried it out just to see how high I could go and I could go pretty darn high.

Lots of fun things in the ocean want to eat you :) You'll get some alchemy ingredients from there as well.

Have you hit the corruption yet? Are you still playing on a large map? If so you can keep this character and items and make a new map. Seriously large is freaking super big. You may like it, but the space between the biomes is huge.

I created a new world and character last night, but I stayed with a large map.

I really wish there was a map feature, but one that only shows the area you've uncovered. I also wish there was a normal pause feature, and a character screen that shows what you have equipped.

Still a lot of things I haven't touched yet. I didn't even know the game had alchemy until you mentioned it. :)

*Edit* Do Statues have any purpose other than decoration?

Last edited:
They're new. I think they're just decoration. Only certain placed items have functions like a keg will give you ale if you have a mug. Most of them are self-evident, but some are a little tricky. Like that freaking bottle on a table. I think I played over 30 hours before I figured that one out.

One bug you will need to know about is you will find people bound up with ropes after certain events have passed.....and you won them :).....You need to have autopause OFF in order to free them. I do not recommend having it off all the time. It's too crazy if you play it like that, but once you find them then they will keep reappearing until you free them. So just save and exit, switch off autopause, play and go back to where you found them. They'll keep spawning in different spots until you free them so don't worry about losing them. They'll pop up again just keep looking.

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Is there anything or anyone in-game that explains the functions of different items, similar to the way the guide shows you what you can craft?

Back
Top Bottom