Risen - New Screens

Yes, it indeed looks like Gothic. And thanks to console version, it does look exactly as good as old Gothic games, no better. :(

Yes, it indeed looks like Gothic. And thanks to console version, it does look exactly as good as old Gothic games, no better. :(

I'm not sure I agree :)

Attachments

• risen006.jpg
    risen006.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 39327_full.jpg
    39327_full.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 110
How come I don't remember that part in Gothic? ;)

There isn't anything like that. I completed the game again several days ago and didn't see anything like that. That's probably one of the screens released before game.

It's a random from google - but it shows the engine well enough.

I can find another one, I'm sure.

Here's one.

Anyone claiming it looks like Risen should stay off the drugs.

Attachments

• gothic_screen004.jpg
    gothic_screen004.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 110
wow this looks so bad now while backthen it looked so great :)
Risen looks lik gothic should look. The pictures of the barracks reminded me of the Old Camp a lot

wow this looks so bad now while backthen it looked so great
Maybe it's just me but when I replayed it last week it looked exactly beautiful as in 2002. But probably that's just me - I never cared about things like HDR, AA or very high detailed textures but for me always very important has been art in graphic. I can play games made before I was born and don't bitch about graphic while many (but not all) new games have horrible graphic for me.

The graphics of Gothic I are good. I can say that, because I played it through a month ago. People often confuse "obsolete" with "bad". Just because nowadays you can add a hundred times more details (thanks to better tools and better graphics power and bigger teams), it's not like I can't appreciate the unique style and the details of an old game.

Konjad: Of course the screenshot shows a very old version of the game. Diego has a blue armor! Woah!

That Gothic 1 shot looks like it does when I play it on my netbook ... it scales better on higher-end systems.

BTW check out this Morrowind screenshots:
Rtx_39.jpg

Rtx_08.jpg

AI_08.jpg

Rtx_35.jpg

Rtx_36.jpg

Rtx_29.jpg

It's edited in graphic editor but this is just... beautiful. Just most atmospheric game screens I've ever seen.

@Konjad: unfortunately I could never indentify myself with Morrowind and never got dran into it as with Gothic. One of the things was the over amount of scrolling when talking to a person instead of just talking (something they 'fixed' in Oblivion). But that wasn't the real thing why it bothered me. I think the story just wasn't compelling to me.

The screenshot exists because someone used Marvin mode to create the scene. Back in the days, Marvin mode was used to create all sorts of strange situations. Remember the "who would win?" fights where the various leaders in Gothic 1 were put up against each other? Good fun.

Very early shots. Probably a year or two before release. 2000 or 1999.

I think that Risen does indeed look very close to Gothic, but of course I'm referring to the artistic style, not the actual graphics....

Maybe it's just me but when I replayed it last week it looked exactly beautiful as in 2002.

I'm still replaying it now. When I installed it (sth like two weeks ago) after all these years, I was kinda worried that the game might look w bit worse than I remembered it. Two minutes into the game... I compeletely forgot about any worries I might have had. I even forgot that I planned to use forced AA (and I don't think I'll actually bother trying). Yeah, Gothic is beautiful. :)

I just installed Gothic2, it looks great imo. Gothic1 had a lack of folliage which made it very barren looking, other than that i remember it as a good looking game when it was new.

I bought Gothic as soon as it came out on GOG.com last November. I've been playing it and Gothic2NOTR ever since. Both great games although the graphics on Gothic are a little basic. (Freddy's texture pack helps). Gothic2 really has worn well IMHO and I find the graphics and atmosphere perfectly acceptable by modern standards. For anyone considering G2, I'd like to plug two excellent mods:
"Height of Power" which tweaks the vanilla game and "Velaya" which is a major all-new story in the vanilla world space. This is 30-40 hours of play and probably the best fan made mod I've ever played for any game; professional quality all the way through.

Back
Top Bottom