KoA: Reckoning - House of Valor Free DLC and More

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Joystiq has a photo of a redemption card packed in with a new boxed copy of Reckoning that shows EA is using the common technique of free DLC to new purchasers to encourage new sales rather than used. Those that purchase Reckoning new can access a sixth faction, titled the House of Valor:
According to the insert included in our copy of the game, online pass owners (read: those who purchase new copies of the game) will get access to "seven additional player quests" throughout the House of Valor faction questline. It's unclear whether the PlayStation 3 and PC versions of the game contain the same stipulation, but we've reached out to EA for clarification.
Looking at the official forums there's a massive (over) reaction and the developers posting were apparently getting ready to post a FAQ but were caught off gaurd with this early release of the information. Neverthesless, it was confirmed all new copies will offer access to the House of Valor regardless of platform - we'll post links when they release the official FAQ.
In the meantime, Gametrailers has a new trailer titled A New World to Discover offering a 3 minute tour of Amalur.
More information.

Not surprised at this its EA and we should know how far they go with free dlc at launch. Just look at all new Bioware games for an example.

To activiate your Online Pass, press the Guide Button, navigate to the Marketplace tab, select REDEEM CODE, and enter your Online Pass code.

Sounds like what this is really about is training people how to navigate to the marketplace for future DLC.

So that's where the 6th faction went.

For those wondering what I mean: A while back there was mention of the game having 6 factions, but only 5 have ever been presented.

Taken from the official forum - Muse's post-:
For the PC versions (purchased via Origin, Steam, or at a retailer), everyone will automatically have access to the bonus content. (For the latter, the registration code for the game is for everything including the bonus content.)

I really dislike how more and more games make you jump through online hoops. I just want to play the game without dealing with all the B.S. Piracy is truly becoming more and more justifiable with each year.

You were right, Druin, people are really flipping out over there. Looks like we Pc owners will get it when we activate while console owners only get it for 1 owner. meaning if it is later sold used, the new owner has to pay to get it.
So if you borrow your friends Xbox copy and try to play, you won't get the new dlc but will be offered a chance to buy it. New and improved ways to make money for EA I guess

PC owners can't resale their games anymore, so EA it's just making everything equal for everyone here.

Right, it's not about piracy, it's about trying to get a share of the used game market, for which publishers and developers get nothing otherwise. Not an issue for PC gamers, obviously.

Oh, and folks should check out the last link in the newsbit. I thought it was one of the better trailers they've released. I paused at 1:46 and drooled at all the unique items. ;p (And those were just greatswords!). I'm already getting loot-lust for this game…

Last edited:
Nobody does this like EA does DLC and nobody can keep up with the DLC for the game release. Dont care about weapons but quests and charcters should be for ALL to enjoy.

Online passes are not that bad. I'll admit that -certain- implementations of online passes are. Like these things shouldn't expire, and you should just enter the code and be done with it. Thankfully, most of the time, that's exactly how this works.

I mean, geez, as PC gamers we've been entering Serial codes for years. This is basically the exact same thing.

Online passes are not that bad. I'll admit that -certain- implementations of online passes are. Like these things shouldn't expire, and you should just enter the code and be done with it. Thankfully, most of the time, that's exactly how this works.

I mean, geez, as PC gamers we've been entering Serial codes for years. This is basically the exact same thing.

Your free to think what you want but some publisher's go way overboard with launch dlc. I don't have to like it or hate it. It's a fact.

Nobody does this like EA does DLC and nobody can keep up with the DLC for the game release. Dont care about weapons but quests and charcters should be for ALL to enjoy.

Maybe this is to easy....it is for all who BUY the game to enjoy, it's free. Maybe read the main artticle before posting.

I did read the article. Im saying this paticular company goes crazy with launch DLC. Its silly that after you buy the game you have to enter six other codes to get the full game. I realize its to ensure original sales i just think its petty . Instead of taking out a quest or 20 weapons why not give a small discount to new buyers . Its like saying because your not buying the game new and giving us all your money ! Yous not getting the full game nahnee nahnee phoo phoo !

I did read the article. Im saying this paticular company goes crazy with launch DLC. Its silly that after you buy the game you have to enter six other codes to get the full game. I realize its to ensure original sales i just think its petty . Instead of taking out a quest or 20 weapons why not give a small discount to new buyers . Its like saying because your not buying the game new and giving us all your money ! Yous not getting the full game nahnee nahnee phoo phoo !

I said the same before so I see your point. Others seem to accept things without questioning it and that leaves me shacking my head in amazement.

That's the main reason for the industry being a mess. To many people accept things and don't question them. Then it sends a nice picture to the publisher that everyone like's it.

We all have to face the facts we are all junkies and need our fix. People wont stop buying games to send a message.

Last edited:
I said the same before so I see your point. Others seem to accept things without questioning it and that leaves me shacking my head in amazement.

The same could be said of how the used game market is today. People just think buying and selling used games is fine and dandy because it's always worked a certain way, but the reality is that Gamestop devotes half of their precious retail space to selling product that will provide $0 to the people that actually deserve it, the developers.

I think that free day 1 DLC is a perfectly acceptable way to mitigate that, and allows both the retailer and the publisher to split the benefits of the used game market.

The same could be said of how the used game market is today. People just think buying and selling used games is fine and dandy because it's always worked a certain way, but the reality is that Gamestop devotes half of their precious retail space to selling product that will provide $0 to the people that actually deserve it, the developers.

I think that free day 1 DLC is a perfectly acceptable way to mitigate that, and allows both the retailer and the publisher to split the benefits of the used game market.

I firmly believe the developer or publishers don't deserve anything on a used product. It was bought and sold at full price already. Both already got a share. They don't deserve more on a resale.

To say otherwise seems more like self entitlement.

And after I read this news I decided: I'll buy this come when it comes at half price, or super discount on Steam with all DLCs/expansions.
It could have been a day one for me, but I really got bored to buy full price games with cut content and having to wait for more.

And after I read this news I decided: I'll buy this come when it comes at half price, or super discount on Steam with all DLCs/expansions.
It could have been a day one for me, but I really got bored to buy full price games with cut content and having to wait for more.

What? You do realize that buying the game day 1 means you get this, right? Or are you planning on finding this game used somewhere on the day of release?

Back
Top Bottom