NWN - Darkness over Daggerford Review @ GameBanshee

Dhruin

SasqWatch
With Ossian's Mysteries of Westgate due to be released some century or other, GameBanshee thought they might go back and look at their older Darkness over Daggerford mod. The score is 7.8/10 with general praise apart from the joinable NPCs and disconnected quests:
In Darkness over Daggerford, you play a simple mercenary. You start out as a bodyguard for a tailor, but then your caravan is attacked near Daggerford (which is located between the famous cities of Waterdeep and Baldur’s Gate), and you get sucked into a larger conspiracy. From talking to the townspeople, you learn that lots of bad things have been happening in the area lately, including the death of the governing duke, and you eventually decide to explore the surroundings to see if you can figure out what’s going on. This leads you to battle a good chunk of the official Dungeons & Dragons bestiary, including vampires, werewolves, orcs, trolls, dragons, and more.
More information.

The score is way too low if you ask me. Especially for a free product. The lack of variety in joinable NPCs is a problem but other than that, the mod is excellent.

GameBanshee's scoring system is lightly aberrant. I don't like it much myself - hell, I don't like using scores at all. They're only supposed to serve as a summary to refer to after reading and taking in the review, but people tend to get bogged down on scores too much.

I have to say, much as I admire the amount of work and dedication Ossian invested in Daggerford, I found the module rather bland. The main storyline never really captured my attention. I would have preferred a solid story over the vast number of straightforward, run-of-the-mill side quests Daggerford had to offer. Of course, the fact that I have already seen the majority of content in the original NWN game, expansions and mods did not help.
Having said that, I would have happily paid for the module. It was large, fairly well done and polished, just a bit on the cliche side. I still wish Rob Bartel's Witch's Wake had been finished.

While I really liked this game, I've never actually finished it. I was stuck in one of the main quest and didn't know where to go to seek help -- does anyone know if there's detailed walkthrough available?

I actually might reinstall NWN1 and have a go at this again if I can find a decent walkthrough.

I really loved it ... installed it on my Mini-Note - now I just have to get through the OS, two expansions and four modules to get back to it again ...

The Daggerford module page on NW Vault has a couple of "critical path" .pdf walkthroughs available, though you might have seen those already (apologies if this is old news!). I haven't looked through them but from the description they should at least have info enough to keep the main quest humming along.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=5122

Back
Top Bottom