D&D Online Unlimited

Thanks all. :)

Yeah, Drow looks fun, wow didn't know it came with 32 point build, 400 doesn't seem so bad. Honestly I don't mind leveling doing quests so 1-4 doesn't seem like an issue. Is that the only benefit to Veteran?

This is the build I am doing, azraelck, I took 2H Weapon as my second Human starting Feat and one level of Fighter at level two. It's actually quite fun, almost a Healer, almost a Tank with +2 Full Plate and +2 2h Battle axe, I found for 200pp each.

I am using the wand as a pulling device for the most part, I have no problems at least so far with Hard level, might be able to do some Elites with a Hireling but haven't tried.

Yeah your sure right about it being hard to make that build, don't even see how it would be possible with 28 point build. Thought about a Monk/Rogue or Wiz/Rogue will see how much favor I can get. I was thinking of buy VIP for one month to get several things activated, with the 500 TP, if I wait for sales I might be able to slowly over time buy up all the adventure packs. Well that's my working theory atm. ;)

Is there any Faction issues with Drow, they can be Neutral iirc, but can't remember if they can be CG.

You need Vet status to buy the 32 pt build. Don't think there is any faction issues with Drow; I haven't met any. After you've levelled a few toons from 1-4, you'll soon appreciate NOT having to do it!!!! lol You can still do all those early quests if you like. Points sale is ON right now. Best value is 5950 for $50.

Thanks, I did see that sale, it looks like I can buy 32 by itself, it's even 25% off!

But when I tried to buy it Sunday evening, I got an error saying "Unsuccessful, unable to process in your region", wth? It was the same credit card on file, I had used 24 hours earlier to become a VIP. Then I figured what happen was they were shutting down the severs to get ready for this update today on Monday. Anyway, hopefully will get everything worked out by this evening.

Btw, are there actually raids in this game or are there mostly 6 man dungeon/instances?

The biggest surprise was they don't seem to offer + 1 Feat tomes, especially after seeing you could get +1 Attrib or even +2 all Attribs.

There are raids in the game. I'm not sure how many and I believe they are for groups of 12. One you always hear about are the shroud raids. I'm relatively new to the game myself so correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW I have a healing cleric that's level 3 on Khyber named Mears if anyone needs a healer. I'm interested in joining the RPG Watch guild, but alas I'm not meeting the level requirements.

Be warned, I'm still learning the nuances of saving magic points and usually spam heals a la World of Warcraft. Sure you'll stay alive…until I run OOM after the first mob :)

Groups of 12 nice, thanks.

Didn't know there was an RPGWatch guild very cool, gratz guys! :party:

We're getting enough new players and players with alt toons that I wouldn't be surprised if a second group within the guild forms up. My healbot is sitting at level 5 and there's no way he's going to do much soloing. The fighter is languishing at level 8 since I've been doing a ton of soloing with the ranger (who passed the fighter for XP yesterday). There's an opportunity for a group running level 4-6 or so, me thinks, with those guys eventually catching up to the level 7&8 toons many of us have.

Speaking of soloing the ranger, I did a ton of work soloing Sorrowdusk over the weekend with him. Got to the level 10 quests (Mephit Mania, to be specific) and got soundly hammered. Even with resist energy and protection from energy running, Wouldii got torched. Good times, but now I've got to tackle a different quest series to get more power. I would like to run Necro with him, but there's those damned split-the-party quests in both Necro 1 and 2 that makes soloing, or even soloing with hirelings, impossible. :cm: Probably ought to go back and tackle 3 Barrel. Any other recommendations? I've already done Delera.

Did you finish Tangles? Searing Heights can be solo'd too. I prefer playing with others though since I tend to die a LOT!! :)

Any registered member of the Watch forums may join the RPGWatch Guild on Khyber. Either check the Who's On by Guild and send us a tell, or post your toon name either here on in the TC thread and we'll send you an ingame mail invite.

Thanks all. :)

This is the build I am doing, azraelck, I took 2H Weapon as my second Human starting Feat and one level of Fighter at level two. It's actually quite fun, almost a Healer, almost a Tank with +2 Full Plate and +2 2h Battle axe, I found for 200pp each.

Looks like a fairly standard Battle Cleric build. Though, that build was posted before the Update 5 changes (we're almost to or at Update 6 now). The Two Handed Fighting style was altered. Normally, the feat tree gives you increased chances of landing a glancing blow on any critter around you. However, U5 changed the style so that you only get glancing blows if you are standing perfectly still.

Since DDO is a rather active game, in terms of combat, this change made the THF feat tree less than useful. I dropped the feat off my Paladin, swapped it for something else.

And you should join the guild; I've sold +3 Full Plate (and better) as well as +3 or better great axes and swords that you could use. One thing we do is give out old equipment we no longer need, or never needed, but that a lower level may find useful.

I am using the wand as a pulling device for the most part, I have no problems at least so far with Hard level, might be able to do some Elites with a Hireling but haven't tried.

Is there any Faction issues with Drow, they can be Neutral iirc, but can't remember if they can be CG.

Any race can be any Alignment, and can get favor with all factions in game. Don't worry about it.

As you earn favor, you'll get free Turbine Points. It's every 100 favor earned in game, plus I think there's a bonus for first time favor on a particular server. You can create a quick character on each server, run up to 100 favor, and get quite a few points that way, actually.

Elite difficulty is a huge jump up compared to the difference from Normal to Hard. Especially when hitting traps.

Thanks for the info. :)

dteowner that was pretty odd not to see hirelings with better solo abilities for 2 person dungeon puzzles. Worst still is not having a Pet bar for Summon Monster, wth.

Corwin, I like to die a lot cause Clerics use tequila as a revive potion!
Thanks for the info about the guild, as soon as I get over N00b Restartitis, I will post a name. Is the actual guild called RPGWatch, so far at least in the n00b areas Korthos and Harbor haven't seen the name?

azraelck, I felt Battle Cleric would give me the best chance of group and solo ability, being new to the game. I was in the middle of remaking my cleric anyway since I just got 32 point build, so what would you suggest instead of THW? I do really like the damage but if there is some way to compensate for the lack of splash, it would be great. In my original build as a Human I got Toughness and THW at level 1, PA as level 2 (my Fighter level), then Extend as level 3. Now I am actually considering Augment Summon and Eschew in the first 3 choices of Feats, was going with THW again, but would like to hear a possible build suggestion.

Do you think U6 will change THW again, have most people complained causing the devs to add the Splash back in or has there been any word? Good to know about Drow and cumulative points on different servers, iirc though I need to reach 400 favor with single toon to unlock Drow, correct or is this cumulative too?

Don't bother with Eschew. Reagents are cheap and not all spells allow you to use eschew. Check out Peter's cleric builds in the thread we've set up for that since he knows the most about building a good cleric.

As Corwin said, Eschew Material Components is useless. I would take Extend at level 1, still take Power Attack at level 2. At level 3, I would consider Heighten, as it can help make some of the good early level spells remain effective through the rest of the game. On the rare occasion we're not running something with undead, I still find the level 2 spell Soundburst to be good at knocking out casters.

You may also consider Empower, to boost your Blade Barrier when you get it at level 12. And of course, you can always use some additional Spell Penetration, especially since you've sacrificed 1 Spell Pen by taking the Fighter level. My Cleric is currently using Augment Summoning, and truth be told I haven't seen much difference in summons' ability to keep up. They're mildly tougher, but thats it. It does affect Hirelings as well though.

The reason you can't run those quests normally with hirelings is due to the fact that you have to operate some sort of device. In one, 4 people have to each stand in a particular spot. In another, two people must pull a lever at the correct time, then run to the closest doors before they close.

U6 probably won't have any combat changes. Turbine pretty much completely ignores their customers entirely. Bugs float around for eternity, no Druids, etc… U7 or U8 should have Half-Orcs, which should have been in at launch. But I don't forsee much else changing this year. In fact, I doubt it will ever change back, or change to a point that the THF feat tree is useful again.

You have to earn 400 favor with a single character to unlock Drow, on that server. All favor unlocks are like that as well. So if you earn enough for Veteran Status or Favored Soul, it has to be on a single character, and it is only for that particular server.

Looks like a fairly standard Battle Cleric build. Though, that build was posted before the Update 5 changes (we're almost to or at Update 6 now). The Two Handed Fighting style was altered. Normally, the feat tree gives you increased chances of landing a glancing blow on any critter around you. However, U5 changed the style so that you only get glancing blows if you are standing perfectly still.

Since DDO is a rather active game, in terms of combat, this change made the THF feat tree less than useful. I dropped the feat off my Paladin, swapped it for something else.
I *did* notice a difference with Phuury (great axe barbarian), too. Having glancing blows get nerfed slowed him down some. I've mitigated it with liberal use of great cleave, but that won't make sense on a cleric--too many feat slots needed that could be used for better things.

The reason you can't run those quests normally with hirelings is due to the fact that you have to operate some sort of device. In one, 4 people have to each stand in a particular spot. In another, two people must pull a lever at the correct time, then run to the closest doors before they close.
You can do some very limited stuff along those lines. Tell the hunchie to stand still in front of the lever. Select the lever. Tell the henchie to use the selected item. Move. Tell the henchie to use it again. Move. And so forth.

As long as you don't have to use anything yourself (which would force you to change your selected item) and the henchie doesn't have to move while you're not with him, you can do some of those 2-person quests. Thus, I was able to solo the 3-alternating-gates puzzle in Delera (that 1 lever with 3 diamonds above it), but I couldn't do the water gate puzzle (henchie needed to move to the second pad while I was still underwater) in that same dungeon.

@Corwin- Done with Tangles. Haven't taken him to Searing yet, though.

Supposedly, U6 was released on 17AUG. I even got an email announcing it. I've logged in each of the last 3 days and the game didn't update. I've never had to manually fire an update in the past, so I can't say I even know what menus to pick. Just me, or is this rollout pooched at Turbine's level?

No, it's not really a major update as such. Rather, it's the addition of more content which you are at liberty to purchase if you so desire. From people who have played it, it's quite good, but not overly long.

Ok, I bit today and am getting the game. What server are you all on? Next will be any helpful tips *g*

Thanks!

Nevermind…just caught Khyber. Hope to see you all there!

Look forward to seeing you on Khyber. Let us know your chars names and we'll invite you into the guild. Most of us post regularly in the Team Corwin Thread in the OT forum, so check there for hints and tips etc. We'll all help as we can. Unfortunately, until you gain a few levels we can't play with you since the XP penalty for you means you'd get none at all.

Yes, there are are few people (like myself) with lower level chars; I think some may have ones as low as 5, but you need to get up to about level 4 to make playing with them viable. Basically, penalties start when there are more than 2 levels between characters and this can also be affected by the level of the quest. There are some compensating bonuses as well though.

Back
Top Bottom