Oblivion Finished Nehrim mod for Oblivion and it sucked...

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
What if I consider the original Oblivion with no mods (except reducing the font size) a really really really good game?

Then you should probably travel back to the planet you came from, and enjoy the alien mushrooms you used to eat ;)

I must eat those mushrooms too :) I didn't finish Nehrim but I got over 100 hours of enjoyment out of it. In the end, I didn't care for where the story was going. I played it as a pure exploration game though, and it is huge and way more interesting than Oblivion.

What if I consider the original Oblivion with no mods (except reducing the font size) a really really really good game?

You'll probably like it.

Look, it is free. Just try it! You'll probably know whether you like it within an hour or so.

I started playing it tonight and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. While there are lingering Oblivion art assets and interface Nehrim is what Oblivion should have been.
- no quest markers
- 3 hours into it and I've got a lousy dagger (had to buy the bow)
- no huge drops or looting every fallen guard etc.
- quests have a twist and there is never a super obvious solution
- combat is fairly challenging
- No level scaling

At first I was a bit worried about the confined and linear area but it opens up in short order. The German is fantastic and the subtitles stay on the screen more than long enough for me to read. I had to laugh at the preverbial rat quest when the NPC said "I know what your thinking don't look at me like that!"

So far so good.

NehrimScreen0.jpg

Ok, I'm running out of games to play... and I just looked at trailer of this game and it perked my interest. Now... questions..

I haven't got Oblivion installed atm. Do I need to patch it before installing Nehrim? (I hope not). Also, how long is the game length?

I don't remember if Oblivion had to be patched to be able to run Nehrim piggyback (used the GOTY edition as a base so I don't think so), but I remember all too well that Nehrim had to be patched.
Nehrim took me about 60+ hours to finish the main quest, and I hardly did any side quests. So I'd say that's a decent cost:game time ratio ;).

It requires the latest version of Oblivion. If you have a GoTY version, you're good to go. If you're like me, you'll get to repatch Oblivion if you don't have the exe somewhere on your pc.

Man, I said to myself that I'd never reinstall Oblivion again after finishing up my last Knights of the Nine+Shivering Isles playthrough and sampling what I thought was the majority of the game's quest content plus some mods. I felt I'd done it all, seen it all...y'know?

But reading this thread makes me doubt the strength of that resolve. :D

If the Nehrim mod has some quest content that rivals Knights of the Nine for enjoyment and some solid dungeon design and a new sense of exploration of a world, I may have to give it a look sometime.

I used several, Roi. There are a bunch of mods that work seamlessly with Nehrim. Someone rewrote OBMM to work with new masters and that allowed many folks to port their mods over.

What did you use if I may ask? I'm not really into the TES Mod-Scene.

Btw, I just installed Oblivion and Nehrim and it's quite good so far. The voice acting is better than in some AAA games. What I didn't like though was the close combat (Bethesdas fault) and the fact that you start in a sodding dungeon AND that it takes about an hour to get clear. I hate starting dungeons. This is nearly as bad as the BG2 dungeon or that good forsaken thing in Divinity 2.

I absolutely adore that starting dungeon!

They were supposed to translate it from what I remember, but I don't think it have been released yet. They have an english page on their website, most of the stuff is on the russian version though.

I am looking out for this as well. Its not released yet but they did say they will release it before Skyrim....

I started playing it tonight and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. While there are lingering Oblivion art assets and interface Nehrim is what Oblivion should have been.
- no quest markers
- 3 hours into it and I've got a lousy dagger (had to buy the bow)
- no huge drops or looting every fallen guard etc.
- quests have a twist and there is never a super obvious solution
- combat is fairly challenging
- No level scaling

At first I was a bit worried about the confined and linear area but it opens up in short order. The German is fantastic and the subtitles stay on the screen more than long enough for me to read. I had to laugh at the preverbial rat quest when the NPC said "I know what your thinking don't look at me like that!"

So far so good.

NehrimScreen0.jpg

This^

I am now at level 10, and i would have to say this is far better than Oblivion OR Morrowind, and probably the best modern RPG I have ever played. The only weak point in the entire game is the combat, but it is bearable. Every other facet of the game is a rock solid A++. Anyone with any affinity for RPGs, particularly TES style play, needs to mount this game and thrust vigorously. Anyone disappointed by Oblivion will find this mod to be the sole justification for Oblivion's existence. I will continue playing this until I have finished it, even if that means dividing time between it and Skyrim. It is that good.

I haven't been here for a while, and I must say, that's it's good to see a TES subforum up! :cool:

I played a bit of Nehrim, and the graphics seemed better than vanilla Ob to me; though I might still have had some of the pluginless (?) mods (that I can't remember what it was anymore) installed into the version of Ob I used. I didn't make a clean re-install, since Nehrim offers to use a copy of Ob, so you can still play your Ob seperately with whatever plugins you prefer.

I must say it looked quite well-polished, and I liked the touch of originality they seemed to insert in many of the quests, though sadly I haven't had time to play it much.

I would recommend it to anyone who's running out of games to play - it's free, so what is it going to cost you to try it out? A small amount of time, that's all.

The only slight downer is lack of English voices if your German totally sucks, like mine; but I just put voices off (nice soundtrack, btw) and read the subtitles.

Does the Morrowind conversion now come with English subtitles as well? I've made my Morrowind look very pretty, so it would be nice if that conversion is compatible with the MGE and other graphics-enhancing mods.

Nehrim runs the same shader extensions you get in the Oblivion graphics extender. Pretty much the same thing as the Morrowind Graphics Extender. The texture packs are a different matter.

I never get tired of godrays.

Back
Top Bottom