Graphics performance issues

zadokAllen

Sentinel
So - it sort of killed my system. Q6600/HD 4870/2GB. It is by no means top-shelf setup (probably not even mid-shelf anymore) but it handles the likes of Crysis/Fallout3 in 1680x1050/Vsync On/2 AA pretty well.

Here I get severe stuttering/tearing throughout. Thing is, when I dropped the res to 1024 framerate itself improved a bit, but tearing remained. So I don`t think it`s a simple case of not meeting the requirements. besides, FRAPS average at 1680 was around 40 Fps, something I can certainly live with.

I was just wondering how your rigs/performance compare, or any thoughts in general. Also - do you think postprocess fix might have any bearing on performance?

I haven't noticed any effect of prostprocess fix on game performance.

On the other hand, when I used atiumdag.dll fix (works only on 4000 series), I noticed additional laginess (too often game fps would "spike" down below 15-20fps). So, even though it gives best picture (it's only fix that gives perfect flashlight), I dropped using it in favor of postprocess fix.

As for performance issues, I may recommend turning off rotational blur in game ini files. It helped me a bit (4850, playing on 1280x1024).

P.S.
The biggest performace issue for me is when game after a while gets super laggy for no reason. In those cases just exiting and entering back to the game helped. In "normal" conditions it is pretty smooth.

when I used atiumdag.dll fix (works only on 4000 series), I noticed additional laginess

That`s it :)
I just reinstalled the game (for the 8752523 time), adding only translation & postprocess fix. It`s all much better now, so it must`ve been that Ati thingy. Thanks!

It`s still not perfect, even with Vsync off (which I hate). But hey, it`s Precursors...no one said it`d be easy, eh :)

Now I`ll go and actually try to PLAY the bloody thing...

The VSync thing is easy to fix, and this fix will fix EVERY VSync problem you'v ever had:

Download Rivatuner http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163.
It's free! :)

Once installed, go to where you installed Riva Tuner on your C: drive. Go into the Tools (I think?) folder and run the program called D3DOverrider.
Choose "Global" in the list, and set both options on the right to "High". Tell it to start with Windows. Restart your computer.
When your computer restarts, it will ask your permission to run D3DOverrider.
It can force Triple Buffering and VSync in ANY program. Worked like a charm for me on The Precursors, White Gold, and Gears of War. :) I consider it an ESSENTIAL tool for all PC Gamers. I can't live without it.

Cheers!

Thanks dude - I`ve got it though (actually use Ati Tray tools, does the same job)
It is essential, true, but I`ve no problem with Vsync on/off. The option in Precursors Video actually works.

What I meant is that i like to be able to have Vsync on in game and still have a decent framerate. Not possible in this case…and no software fix either :)

Huh, that's cool.... I'll have to look at ATI Tray Tools. :)
I found D3DOverrider because the Force VSync option in Catalyst Control Center doesn't work at all! My screen kept tearing for Gears of War, and so I searched the net found that. I've been using it religiously ever since.

I'm picky about VSync. I can't stand it being off. Whenever I had framerate issues in Precursors, I actually turned the "quality" setting down. That usually cleared that up.

It's just a preference thing I guess.

Eh...I think It was a premature celebration...it`s still too slow for me after all. Which is strange, because changing resolutions etc doesn`t help much :(

I might try one more time with wesp5`s new patch...

I did and it helped - but not enough :( Also, I have this graphics OCD - I rather wait till I get more RAM or something than play with tearing.

Whats annoying is I keep thinking it could be better on my machine - it`s just there`s something I missed in Catalyst/Ati Tray Tools/ini files or god knows where. Eh, life of a PC enthusiast :)

Yeah, when I first played THe Precursors, I had an HD3870 DDR2 1GB card and 4GB of RAM.
I now have an HD5870 DDR5 1GB card and 8GB of RAM. That stuttering issue is gone. Period.
Your processor should be good to go, but your 4870 and 2GB of RAM is just a bit too shy to expect the best with a game that is as un-optimized as this. The Precursors may not be cutting edge, but it is seriously unforgiving. Like Cryostasis and Metro 2033. :-/

You`re right...I should`ve expect as much, but then it was so cheap, it doesn`t matter -I`ll just play it in few months.
Thanks for the heads up thou, it`ll save me endless re-installs and wondering what ini file should I tweak now :)

Back
Top Bottom