Diablo 3 - Sells 10 Million Copies

aries100

SasqWatch
So copy-protection system worked pretty good, too bad that not every game developer can adopt it. This actually shows that only after destruction of piracy, niche game development will be possible.

I suppose this is great news in the sense that publishers might be more inclined to do PC ports or pay closer attention to the PC market.

However, I really have a lot of trouble understanding the appeal of this game. I guess I don't understand the market, as when I watch the gameplay videos, it does not look fun at all.

honestly man, 90% of my friends who bought D3, after playing it they said they won't buy a game ever again before playing it .. if you know what I mean

pay closer attention to the PC market
Well, they actually paying enough attention: free-to-play games and mmorpg's pop up every month. That were money is. Look at drakensang online for instance, the game only in beta and there already 9 mil. players. Developers need some copy-protection system like in diablo to survive such competition.

Well, at the end of the day, I got my $60.00 USD out of Diablo 3. Can't say I'll remember it fondly 5 years from now but it was a fun little game while it lasted.

I, personally, find even the beta experience in Path of Exile superior but that's just my opinion from a few weeks playing with friends... To each their own.

So copy-protection system worked pretty good, too bad that not every game developer can adopt it. This actually shows that only after destruction of piracy, niche game development will be possible.

I don't think this really says anything about piracy. Diablo 2 sold 17million copies, at least half of which came in the f3 to 6 months and didn't have near the marketing machine that D3 has had. D3 was one of the most anticipated games of all time.

If anything, I would say that this shows piracy doesn't have much of an impact if the game is highly anticipated. D2 was pirated left and right, yet still sold 17m copies over its life with a much smaller marketing budget

Wow 10 million thanks everyone. I foresee more publishers adopting the service model. I can see the future already.;) Nothing but F2P and MOG games.

Last edited:
Best selling Blizzard games
Edit

Best selling Blizzard games and franchises

Sales data weight loss pills from List of best-selling video games (Wikipedia)

Diablo II (17 million)

What´s with the weight loss pills? :)

17 million seems more like a figure for the whole franchise.

Last edited:
Wow 10 million thanks everyone. I foresee more publishers adopting the service model. I can the future already.;) Nothing but F2P and MOG games.

You know, this may actually bother me just a little bit if I didn't have such a tremendous backlog. With all the existing computer games that there are, and all the existing ways to get these games practically instantly, cheaply, and sometimes even DRM free - I personally don't give a shit about the games of the future.

I have enough games just on steam alone to play for the rest of my life!

You know, this may actually bother me just a little bit if I didn't have such a tremendous backlog. With all the existing computer games that there are, and all the existing ways to get these games practically instantly, cheaply, and sometimes even DRM free - I personally don't give a shit about the games of the future.

I have enough games just on steam alone to play for the rest of my life!

Good for you.;) Thanks for sharing. I always finish ever game I buy no exception.

I wouldn't call that the most reliable site. It's not part of wikipedia, or any other established wiki site. It appears to be there mostly to sell ads, such as the above mentioned diet pills. Also if you actually click on the link where it says they got their information from, you will find that the site they link to says 4 million, not 17.

Wiki sources (and mine is as well, but the best I can find) are never truly reliable.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Blizzard_games

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_II

" Including Diablo II, the Diablo series has sold 17 million copies "

That wiki contribution has a source listed as the Vivendi website from 2006. If you click the link, however, there no mention about having sold 17 million copies.

VGChartz claims the game sold less than 3 million packaged retail units: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7276/diablo-ii/

(But then again, they also claim it's an RPG, so who knows. :p )

At the time it was released in the year 2000, I don't think digital downloads were even available, or at least the vast majority should be retail copies.

… I always finish ever game I buy no exception.

I hate you. Or rather, I think I SHOULD hate you. Or… :)

pibbur who sighs. And who has a game or two he hasn't played yet. And who (safely) assumes that each Diablo game have sold between 1 and 100 million units.

Last edited:
Well that site makes it clear that 17 million is the total sales of the entire franchise, which would make sense based on the numbers we've seen. That's about 10 million for D3, 4 million for D2, 1 million for the D2 expansion, and 2 million for D1.

That wiki contribution has a source listed as the Vivendi website from 2006. If you click the link, however, there no mention about having sold 17 million copies.

VGChartz claims the game sold less than 3 million packaged retail units: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7276/diablo-ii/

(But then again, they also claim it's an RPG, so who knows. :p )

At the time it was released in the year 2000, I don't think digital downloads were even available, or at least the vast majority should be retail copies.

10 millions. That is a big number. Marks success in my book. Big success.

Back
Top Bottom