Writing for RPGWatch

Ugh i dont envy whoever has to complete the mars war logs game. The constant combat gets too tedious for me and they make you looks through an animation that is slightly skippable every time you use the serum gun on a dead player. I just had to stop playing it.

We have a review coming up.

Good place for this is here -> Game Comments

I hope I can write a few more - for old games.
Ya'know, that list should be used more often. There are lots of really good impressions/semi-reviews posted in the "Just finished..." topic in the Off Topic forum. Thing is, finding impressions on a particular game in that topic is tedious at best. If we were to post our impressions in that forum, it would be a lot easier to find everything.

I guess there's nothing stopping me doing that right now, is there? Let's see, what to drone on about....

Didn't notice this thread before…

I'm flattered based on what some of you are saying about me ;)

I've often considered writing a "real" review for submission - and I guess I need to do that the next time I finish something that the Watch would consider relevant.

Mostly because I really appreciate the site and the work done by many of you - and it doesn't feel quite right to not contribute after being a member for so long.

My primary issue with reviews is that I don't feel too comfortable rating games under those circumstances. I take objectivity very seriously - and a "real" review from me would probably be different from the personal comments I tend to spout about some games at a whim.

Would it be ok to do a review without an actual rating? Is that boring?

Also, as English is not my first language - I can't promise anything fancy. I like to believe I can articulate my opinion - but that's about it.

Maybe I could be of some assistance enhancing the MMO aspects of the site - if that's something the majority wants? I'm pretty experienced when it comes to that particular genre.

Just make clear what your personal preference is (turn based combat, story heavy, free world...) , then everybody can judge your opinion to a new game.

Just make clear what your personal preference is (turn based combat, story heavy, free world…) , then everybody can judge your opinion to a new game.

Yes - I tend to think ratings are overrated :)

No, seriously - I think they are.

I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you here. Having ratings in a review has been a discussion that is going on for years already, both in the team and outside, so I don't mind running a review without ratings, or basically the entire table at the end of the review.

I'm thinking a whole new section called DArtagnan Face-off. Were Dart goes agaisnt his fellow watchers on various RPG topics.:lol:

I'm pretty sure we can accommodate you here. Having ratings in a review has been a discussion that is going on for years already, both in the team and outside, so I don't mind running a review without ratings, or basically the entire table at the end of the review.

Well, as long as we're not part of Metacritic or somesuch, it's no big deal.

But I think the actual rating is the most personal part of any review - and as such, it's really of no use in objective terms. They're also the source of so much needless controversy all around the net.

I'm thinking a whole new section called DArtagnan Face-off. Were Dart goes agaisnt his fellow watchers on various RPG topics.:lol:

If people aren't tired of me already - that would be a way to make absolutely sure :)

Thanks for sharing that.

I know it hasn't really been advertised, but the idea was to place reviews and such in the Games Comments forum, which I just renamed to 'Games Reviews and Comments'. I also added a sticky to explain how you can add your review.
In my opinion this would provide a better way of collecting the reviews from different persons.

If anyone has done a review and want me to move that to the 'Games reviews & Comments' section let me know.

And to stimulate those who did do a review, it would be nice if some stimulating feedback could be provided.

I have a review copy of Expeditions: Conquistador. Is there anybody who wants to write a review?

I'd love to give it a try it's a game I find very intersting. Until when yould you need the review? I only have an hour or two gaming time per day usually, so I wouldn't be the fastest…

I will receive a review 'soon' (whatever that means). You should finish the game to write the review. I don't know how many hours that is, but I would say that you would have to be able to deliver a review in about 3 weeks after receiving the game.

I will receive a review 'soon' (whatever that means). You should finish the game to write the review. I don't know how many hours that is, but I would say that you would have to be able to deliver a review in about 3 weeks after receiving the game.

This was my downfall. I typically take a month or two to get through a game. I just don't have enough hours to do it any faster.

The 3 weeks is not set in stone. It does depend on the size of the game. Being able to spend about 15 hours per week on the game would be a better reference.

Well if the total play time is not more than 25 hours or so, I'd be up for it, I haven't found any info on the games length however. If it's longer, it would be better if someone with more free time has a go.

There's an intermediate solution: You can write a first impressions article and then a shorter review a few weeks later. This only makes sense for long games though.

Back
Top Bottom