Dungeon Siege 3 - Footage @ 4Players.de

first video ive seen of ds3 since it was announced.looks like my fears of having square enix take over the title have been realized. lots of players may like the jumping, twirling, flashes and bangs but its not my cup of tea. good thing there isnt a shortage of promising RPGs slated for release this year

It was looking more like Sacred 3, from what I could tell. Hordes and hordes and hordes of enemies on every screen. If the trailer was trying to dissuade us of making a purchase, it was pretty successful.

And despite acting like douches now 90% of you will still buy it and like it.

Also it is flashy but thats actually a design choice Obsidian or more precise Art Lead Justin Cherry fell. (Which designs you might remember from a game called Vampire:Bloodlines?) (And who did Mask of the Betrayer which it actually resembles a lot.)

And it actually fits. Its not like Ehb is anywhere near an ultra gritty country. Apart from that I like what I see very much. Could make for a very good Hack n'Slay.

I'll buy it anyway since its Obsidian.

Is it party based on single character? I had though the early announcements indicated party based, but the demo seems to only be single character.

Is it party based on single character? I had though the early announcements indicated party based, but the demo seems to only be single character.

Party but there is no party control and you control only one charachter similiar to a Diablo clone.

Looks pretty good, visually.

Whether it's a good game or not, I wouldn't know - but I'm certainly interested.

Yeah, I've been confused about the whole thing from the start. First I thought I read it was a party based game, then I thought I read it was single-character, then I thought I read it was apparently a party-based game AFTER ALL, and now it turns out it's a single-character game yet again. Ugh.

And despite acting like douches now 90% of you will still buy it and like it.

What's wrong with saying we don't like the things we see? Are we douches just for stating that? I was kind of hopeful for the game if you must know. I didn't like the first DS game, but I was curious about Obsidian's take on the Hack 'n Slash genre. But all I see is a bunch of bland corridors and some unexciting and awkward looking combat. Maybe the game will be good, maybe it will be bad. It's impossible for us - or YOU - to tell right now. But I think that a lot of us aren't being encouraged by the footage we've seen here.

But hey, at least they took the time to implement a more decent dialogue system.

Yeah, I've been confused about the whole thing from the start. First I thought I read it was a party based game, then I thought I read it was single-character, then I thought I read it was apparently a party-based game AFTER ALL, and now it turns out it's a single-character game yet again. Ugh.

What's wrong with saying we don't like the things we see? Are we douches just for stating that? I was kind of hopeful for the game if you must know. I didn't like the first DS game, but I was curious about Obsidian's take on the Hack 'n Slash genre. But all I see is a bunch of bland corridors and some unexciting and awkward looking combat. Maybe the game will be good, maybe it will be bad. It's impossible for us - or YOU - to tell right now. But I think that a lot of us aren't being encouraged by the footage we've seen here.

But hey, at least they took the time to implement a more decent dialogue system.

1. It's a party. YOU however only control one charachter. Probably think more along the lines of the Marvel games in terms of party. (Ultimate Alliance)

2.I would pretty much disagree on bland or I would question your understanding of exciting but yeah, we'll see.

1. It's a party. YOU however only control one charachter. Probably think more along the lines of the Marvel games in terms of party. (Ultimate Alliance)

Similar to Arcanum? I'm just starting that and its taking me some time to adjust to not being able to control the other characters.

so, can you still buy a donkey? i always thought having a pack mule was awesome. setting out from the towns always felt like i was off on an adventure when i had a pack mule with me.

Looks crap. The UI is just ridiculously gay, and gameplay is bland. The visuals are nice I guess, but I couldn't care less about fancy looks.

Why doesn't he kill those ravens and chickens, too ?

.............lots of players may like the jumping, twirling, flashes and bangs but its not my cup of tea. good thing there isnt a shortage of promising RPGs slated for release this year

This is my thought as well. It looked like a pinball machine, with a lot of bright pretty lights flashing everywhere. Not something I'm interested in.

Man, tough crowd. The gameplay is definitely an action-RPG, and if that isn't your cup of tea, then by all means stay away. But I actually see quite a bit to like in this video.

I twice tried to play the first Dungeon Siege, with each attempt separated by a few years, and both times lost interest right around the time I filled out my party of 6 (or was it 8?).

But about a year ago, my wife came across a boxed copy of Dungeon Siege 2 in a thrift store for the princely sum of two dollars. She picked it up for me, and it never failed to compel me to play it through to it's completion, and I had quite a bit of fun doing so. It was quite well done.

One thing that always bugged me about it though was how hard it was to manage the mayem around you. Often when I had multiple monsters swarming me, I became overwhelmed with keeping track of what was going on, managing the health of me and my party, all our buffs, which powers were recharged, etc. My best tactic was usually to backtrack and run away, and fight the enemies in an organized front, taking out one or two at a time in a methodical manner, because that's the only way I could manage the action (granted, it was still fast-paced, but on my terms). But in this video, all the lights and flashes that everyone is complaining about actually looks to serve a useful purpose to my eyes. You can very clearly see who is taking damage and how much, and you can also very clearly see who has buffs and where their radius extends to.

If they can build on the fun factor from DS2, I'll keep an eye on this one.

A few notes about the party control in DS2 for those who didn't play it. This will really be the key for DS3, IMO, because I feel that DS2 got party control in an action RPG almost perfect. If DS3 veers too far off from the DS2 conventions, it could have a big uphill climb.

When thinking party control in DS2, think Dragon Age. In DS2, you could assume control of any of your characters, and all the others would get picked up by the AI (including your own). You also had the option to toggle between a focused attack where everybody follows your mouse clicks, or a divided attack where each character would follow its AI directive (the AI choices weren't very deep, but seemed adequate for the task).

One thing that worked really well is that you had 1-click access to the active spells of every party member (4 active spells per member). Furthermore, you had hot-key access to every character's active mega-power, and you could change each character's active power with, again, only 1 mouseclick. So even though you're directing the movement and individual attacks of one character, you could very quickly and easily unleash a barrage of abilities from your entire party. Add to this a special slot in all spellbooks for two auto-cast spells, and you could ensure that your support characters would keep buffs and healing going at all times (and if that sounds too auto-playish to you, which was a big problem in DS1, keep in mind that only having 2 per character was very limiting, because there were a LOT of different kinds of buffing/healing/summoning spells that you could utilize, and part of the challenge was figuring out what to have auto-cast and what to manage yourself).

I will say that the interface in this DS3 video worries me a great deal, because it's certainly alot more simplified. Who knows, though, what it will look like once you get companions. Perhaps the buttons in the corner will be duplicated up along the side of the screen, and you can have similar instant access to other party members. The fact that they're making this for the console too, however, makes me very worried that party management will likely take a step back in DS3. I'll be looking to see if they release more gameplay videos that illustrate party combat….

I love a good Hack n Slash Rpg Sacred 2, Loki, but something is weird about this game... I think it might be what SonOfCapiz said ,not into all the jumping around. I still say it will be superior to DA2.

"Dungeon Sledge 3 - The Run Through The Hordes Of Ehb"

I would pretty much disagree on bland or I would question your understanding of exciting but yeah, we'll see.

Feel free to question as much as you want. What I saw in this video were countless gray/blue/green tinted dungeons that all have very clearly defined corridor-like areas. Even the forests looked like corridors. Now, perhaps you like these types of environments (to each his own), but to me, that definitely looks bland.

If I plan to play a Hack 'n Slash game, at least give me some wide-open environments that allow me to sail the seven seas looking for lewt. That's when I would get more excited. Exploration seems like a key element in these sort of games to me.

But, as I said, to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom