Gothic Mages in Gothic 1

i think it was made like that to make us speculate and speculate! isn't it nice when a game makes your mind turn?

Yes, it is official, PB made a misstake - they counted 13 WITH Milten, then made a story about Milten joining the fire mages after the barrier was made. It's a blooper, simple as that.

So in reality Milten was actually a mage before the barrier? At least that seems to be the only way for it to make sense.

PB made a blooper - they simply counted 6 fire mages, 6 water mages and 1 black mage = 13 mages. They forgot all about Milten not being a mage when it was created. In reality, 12 mages made the barrier - 5 fire mages, 6 water mages and 1 black mage, although back then they were all fire mages (they split later on).

They were all fire mages back then, that's what I said, last sentence in my post. Even Saturas and those guys were fire mages originally.

@JDR13

Read back to the first page of this thread, I posted the exact quote from Saturas.

Rock on.

"Well when we, the 12 magicians, created the barrier back then, our magic powers were directed and controlled by a 13th magician." "All this took place before we were divided into the circles of fire and water."

Ah, so this is where PB screwed up. :lol:

Back then Xardas was the leader of the Fire Magicians... the letter you get at first is addressed to him.... (him being the leader of magicians)

Having read many gothic forums weird posts over the years, i can certainly understand why Gothic players are unable to differentiate between continuous and progressive aspects of the spoken tenses which relate to time within a constructed sentence, past and present tenses can me mixed together the expression depending on the grammarian's intention. German is the only other language spoken with English tense progression.
When Piranha Bytes developers applied the dialogue into the gothic game, they were grammatically perfect with Saturas's spoken english dialogue and in fact there are no mistakes, why they should have ever agreed it was a mistake is beyond reason, maybe just to keep the fans happy.

After Xardas broke away from the twelve magicians to go his own way to follow the dark arts of death (necromancy) Milten was admitted into the firemages guild to make up the empty place on the pentagram tips in the fire-mages house, he was the thirteenth magician to be introduced in conjunction with the game story-line, this means that any progressing future dialogues referring to Xardas can have the past participle applied as Saturas's sentence construction rightfully shows.

In the early gothic chapters before our nameless hero meets with Xardas, in line with the evolving story-line, pc-hero is unaware of any thirteenth magician - but because Saturas says -->"be patient! (present tense) well when we" (the past tense) "the twelve magicians, created the barrier back then, our powers were directed and controlled by" - - (now at this very point the English/Germanic present tense progression kicks in) - - "a thirteenth magician" (the past participle) still relative and perfectly progressing referring to *after* Miltens inclusion.

Glad to see JDR13 sticking to his guns on this subject, most impressive, hope he wasn't too distracted. ;)

Saturas clearly states that it was 13 magicians making the barrier "we (12) + a 13th", referring to Milten as if he was one of the magicians making it. However, he was not.

Stop putting too much into PBs brilliance, they are human and make misstakes like everyone else, they even admit it.

And whether or not someone has played through it 60 or 30 times makes little difference - we have all seen every single rock and heard every piece of dialogue so many times there simply is no possibility that there is more to this game than what we've discovered so far.

And whether or not someone has played through it 60 or 30 times makes little difference - we have all seen every single rock and heard every piece of dialogue so many times there simply is no possibility that there is more to this game than what we've discovered so far.

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom