BioWare - To Be Acquired by EA

I could have included a number of other 'Remember's', but kept the post short on purpose!! It is a sad day in gaming!!

I'm glad I finished dinner ... that would have killed my appetite.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't want to play the NWN2 meets Hockey Burnouts version of a new addon. Unless they hire on several good devs and actually let them work we may be looking a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg stretch of sad pretend games.:[:bigcry::uneasy::speechless:

Time to invest in more consoles and import more jRPGS!!!

The sky, indeed, is falling.

@ Patrick:

It is not that we wish Bioware to go down. Far from it. However, if we look at EA treated Bullfrog, Westwood and Origin, they did exactly as we're telling you in this thread. They bought these great gaming studios, pressured the devs. to make unfinished bug-ridden games as well as pressured the devs. to do some other stuff. When the games then didn't sell as well as expected, because of bugs or because of fans not liking the changes to the games, then EA took a big axe and closed the studios down. We're afraid that this will happen to one of the last & greatest RPG developers of all time, Bioware.

However, it might be different this time since John Ritticello now is CEO of EA and knows Ray&Greg personally? perhaps. But still, mr. Ritticello does not have commitment towards Ray&Greg. He only has a commitment towards EA's investors e.g. to make as much money as possible in the shortest amount as possible. Even if this means shutting down Bioware and Pandemic Studios since they're a fiscal liability to EA (e.g. they cost EA moeny to run).

As for me, I'm baffled over this news, since I don't think Bioware needs to do this.
Microsoft paid Bioware a lot of money to make the Mass Effect triloogy. If I were MS right now, I'd be rather mad :mad: right now. And wasn't the whole Bioware/Pandemic merger in 2005 a way to avoid being bought up by MS or EA or Ubisoft?

/aries100

guess we don't have to worry about mass effect coming to the pc. obsidian needs to get the wheels rolling on their alien rpg. i want my , i want my, i want my sci-fi rpg...

Microsoft paid Bioware a lot of money to make the Mass Effect triloogy. If I were MS right now, I'd be rather mad :mad: right now. And wasn't the whole Bioware/Pandemic merger in 2005 a way to avoid being bought up by MS or EA or Ubisoft?/aries100
MS has no reason to be angry. If EA acquires a company they´re also taking over all liabilities. They will have to do what the contract says or negotiate another solution with MS.

I am hoping Congress can intervene on Anti-Trust, Anti-Competition or Monopoly issues, must be something?

They replaced most of the devs on Ultima 9 when EA took over and drastically changed the game into crap just so they could shut down the franchise and the company along with it. I have thought for awhile now that EA needs to be stopped because they have become a Monopoly.

Goodbye Dragon Age.

Huh? I don't think we were ever assured of seeing dragon age. I think it has been giving *duke nukem forever a run for its money Maybe we will get a screenshot now or 2.

American anti-trust laws might not apply here, as Bioware, at least, is a Canadian company. Anyone but EA!!!!

It is the end of the world. EA will replace all Bioware workers with robots in black suits that previously only worked on chicken packaging factory lines.

Serioiusly though, only time will tell. EA was, after all, the publisher of Sentinel Worlds, Wasteland and Ultima, all classics. Of course, anyone involved with EA and those games is now either retired, in an insane asylum or working on Tabula Rasa (from inside an asylum)

Serioiusly though, only time will tell. EA was, after all, the publisher of Sentinel Worlds, Wasteland and Ultima, all classics.
Yes, but those games were published when the average gamer today (~28) hadn't hit puberty yet ...

Time will tell ...

Back
Top Bottom