Here is an example why iPad can handle complex PC games

Haha … no, not at all! :)

All I am saying is that I looked at X-COM on my iPad (a Mini, so I don't even have the Retina screen), and compared to the recent Mac release, and the PC game on my gaming laptop and my ultra book. And the iPad version, as you would expect, is well below the systems with dedicated GPUs, but pretty consistent with a system that is not at the bottom of the required specs.

I am only making that comparison because the HD4000 represents the majority of PC sales, and therefore the experience of MOST people playing games on the PC. The problem is when you say 'on the PC', it has different meanings … so I go to the one that the majority of people own.

And I agree - it is perhaps best left to more objectively measurable things … because otherwise you would have to concern yourself that the electricity required for a high-end PC or console + TV would allow you to buy & power an iPad every other year ;)

I joke - but the reality is that in a system that doesn't require a constant high-consumption power source (desktop PC, console) or drain power quickly and require complex, noisy cooling while still getting uncomfortably warm (high end laptop) … the iPad has the ability to produce some amazing graphic *in that context*.

Sure, it's both amazing and utterly useless if you care about enthusiast/mainstream gaming to any serious degree ;)

I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

It's not that I'm not impressed by what an iPad can do. It's that I understand what it CAN'T do - and it wouldn't make the slightest difference if they were handing them out for free or they had infinite battery life.

It's that I care about gaming a lot - and I don't want to look at or play something that's significantly inferior to a console/PC version.

It's the same point I've been making all along.

Good point - I assume that in an effort to get as much as possible onto the iPad 2 they scaled back on rendering complexity.

You can assume that. I assume they realised no iPad GPU would be able to render Xbox 360/PS3 level visuals and perform reasonably at the same time.

As for optional packs, you have to remember that the mobile devices are fairly unusual in that it is the norm that games are constantly patched to include an amazing array of additional features and functionality. PC and consoles get bug fixes and (aside from The Witcher and few others) that is it. Whether that will happen … who knows. I estimate that it will depend on what they do with the next version of the iPad Mini.

I don't really see how that's relevant. IIRC - you used to be able to get "iPad" versions or "HD" versions of many games.

Don't see why they couldn't just do the same for X-Com for "powerful" iPads.

But whatever.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

It's that I care about gaming a lot - and I don't want to look at or play something that's significantly inferior to a console/PC version.

Because it is NOT significantly inferior .. unless graphics are the most important thing. And if "care about enthusiast/mainstream gaming to any serious degree" ... they are not. Because then you would need to rank all games on a 256-point scale, and the GTX680 would be "significantly inferior" to the GTX 780, and so on. And the XBOX and PS3 would be "vastly superior" to 90% of PC's sold in recent years.

I care about gaming a lot also, to the point that I cherish gameplay over particle effects and pixels. If I can have access to a game I love playing on a tablet but have to pay a small price in graphics, I have no issue. But that is an individual choice.

Tablet gaming is a compromise - just like laptop gaming is a compromise of power and price for portability, and desktop gaming is a compromise for price and power consumption.

Because it is NOT significantly inferior .. unless graphics are the most important thing. And if "care about enthusiast/mainstream gaming to any serious degree" … they are not. Because then you would need to rank all games on a 256-point scale, and the GTX680 would be "significantly inferior" to the GTX 780, and so on. And the XBOX and PS3 would be "vastly superior" to 90% of PC's sold in recent years.

Graphics are definitely very important to me - and so is the UI and controls.

I'm not talking theory but in practical terms.

I don't care about what kind of PCs are sold to the masses. I care about the kind of PCs enthusiast/mainstream gamers have access to - because that's who I am.

I care about gaming a lot also, to the point that I cherish gameplay over particle effects and pixels. If I can have access to a game I love playing on a tablet but have to pay a small price in graphics, I have no issue. But that is an individual choice.

Your small price is my very significant price. For whatever reason, I can assume that you don't think UI/controls are an issue in most games of the sort we're talking about on the iPad?

Seems to me you're trying hard to forget some very real and serious issues that most people on this site can't be oblivious to.

I know you care about gaming, you just don't strike me as an enthusiast gamer. You seem to be mostly into casual gaming, based on your level of investment. I've never sensed true passion from you when it comes to games - and you seem to be much more about theory than reality. Well, that's just my impression.

Maybe it's about the time you have available for gaming? Then again, an enthusiast gamer makes time.

Tablet gaming is a compromise - just like laptop gaming is a compromise of power and price for portability, and desktop gaming is a compromise for price and power consumption.

Tablet gaming is a joke if you're an enthusiast gamer (unless it's just a neat way to pass time whenever) - as is a non-gaming laptop unless we're talking about undemanding games.

There's a difference between simply playing games to pass the time - and then investing yourself in them and caring about maximising the experience.

I don't measure "enthusiasm" in hours spent playing - and maybe that's where we differ.

Wow, this thread is still going? Madness. Anyway, better contribute to the cult bot. :p

Apple is good, Apple is great, we surrender our will as of this date.

It appears that there are still some people on this thread -- diehards who cling onto old ideas and habits -- who do not understand what the concept of a pos pc world is. It is about simolicity, comfort, ease of use and enjoyment -- not dealing with switching game cds, patches, upgrades or video cards, spending hours on tweaking the software or turning shadows on and off and not knowing it it will work well, and the like.

Apple is rotten to the core…

attachment.php

PS:
@AppleIntimidation
Here is a wonderful RPG-Site:
http://www.rpgcodex.net
where you can spread your ideas - this open minded community will welcome you with open arms ;)
GO THERE!

Attachments

• apple-rotten.jpg
    apple-rotten.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 87
You know that things like CD switching haven't been around for a very long time on PCs, and that patches are installed automatically by services like Steam. If anything the process is generally easier on the PC then on the Ipad.

You might want to take some time to actually learn about the PC and how it works. It seems like you have an image of it that's about a decade or two out of date. It's kind of ironic that you keep talking about clinging to old ideas and habits...

It appears that there are still some people on this thread — diehards who cling onto old ideas and habits — who do not understand what the concept of a pos pc world is. It is about simolicity, comfort, ease of use and enjoyment — not dealing with switching game cds, patches, upgrades or video cards, spending hours on tweaking the software or turning shadows on and off and not knowing it it will work well, and the like.

+ a very nice update for the King of Dragon Pass was just released which adds quite a lot of new content. I was looking forward to that update, I love that game, and it does seem that, at least for this game, the ios version is definitely superior to the pc one.

Yeah KODP is about the only game I play on iPAD and it is very good. Didn't know there was a substantial update, so thanks for that. Of course being largely a text game there isn't anything that needs the power of a PC.

I dont get why you guys never complain why nintendo systems never get complex games and whythey all look bright and cartoony like civ revolution or dawnof disovery on the wii?

I dont get why you guys never complain why nintendo systems never get complex games and whythey all look bright and cartoony like civ revolution or dawnof disovery on the wii?

First of all the wii is aimed at kids. Second, Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story are infinitely more complex than apple games.

Basically:

I don't play on Nintendo systems, as I'm not a child.

I don't play on iPad, as I'm not a casual gamer.

Oh, there are exceptions - but overall, that's reality.

No, the wii is aimed at all ages and made to be more accessible so all could enjoy it. It is not aimed at one user group. Only xbox consoles are like that due to their constant reliance on fps and dark mood games, but even theyre nowhere as complex as pc. Nintendo actually opened up the market with the wii like older people and girls due to the innovative nature or the dontrol and software aimed to please all. It is a greatsystem and I am sick of playing the same endless sequels with the same exact controls or controllers and the same exact stories but with a little prettier graphics. The wii actually gave us a way to interact with the game and be part of the gameplay. Kind of like infinity blade does on ios. Not some stupid take turns final fantasy crap or dragon quest or some point and click pc diablo clone. Pointing and clicking those potions must be so fun to you guys huh?

By the way, read the comments here:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/07/deus-ex-the-fall-isnt-a-mobile-cash-in

This is how ignorant your fellow so called hardcore gamers are. They think there is no difference between a phone and an iPad or tablet when there clearly is. They are so uneducated they even talk about not wanting to buy an iPad than about phones the next paragraph lol. The screen real estate, power, battery life, etc. all make the esperience as different from an iPad and a phone as it is between the wii and the iPad.

No, the wii is aimed at all ages and made to be more accessible so all could enjoy it. It is not aimed at one user group. Only xbox consoles are like that due to their constant reliance on fps and dark mood games, but even theyre nowhere as complex as pc. Nintendo actually opened up the market with the wii like older people and girls due to the innovative nature or the dontrol and software aimed to please all. It is a greatsystem and I am sick of playing the same endless sequels with the same exact controls or controllers and the same exact stories but with a little prettier graphics. The wii actually gave us a way to interact with the game and be part of the gameplay. Kind of like infinity blade does on ios. Not some stupid take turns final fantasy crap or dragon quest or some point and click pc diablo clone. Pointing and clicking those potions must be so fun to you guys huh?

You're not making much sense.

You could benefit a great deal from thinking a bit about things before speaking - and especially how you form sentences and articulate yourself in general.

Wii is a child/family oriented machine. As has been pointed out several times - there are exceptions, but that's the general gist of it.

Even so, the few "adult" games I've seen on the Wii have been far more appealing than anything on the iPad.

Back
Top Bottom