50% of games 3D by 2012 - Ubisoft

MasterKromm

Sentinel
Ubisoft has said 3D gaming will quickly become a major factor in video games, estimating that around 50 per cent of all new games will be 3D-enabled by 2012.

"We will see more and more product coming in 3D on 360 and PS3 but also on portable machines," said the publisher's CEO Yves Guillemot during a recent investors call.

"We can count on substantial grown in the 3D market just because it's more immersive, so it will be a good way for the industry to give even more emotion to the gamers," he added.

"I think next year we should see maybe 15-20% of games will be 3D on next-gen consoles ... and the following year will be at least 50% of the games."

[SOURCE]

I don't buy that for one second... But what's the census on RPGwatch?

50% of all games in 3D within a year and a half? How many are there now?

Not going to happen…
I guess it's 50% of all new games. Although I don't believe that, most games are pretty small. Perhaps, he means stuff like 3D Tetris?

Reminds me of the Grand Arrival of FMV. Remember, Phantasmagoria came out and there was an avalanche of articles saying all games would be FMV within a year or two?

I am guessing he means 3D like 3D-TV not 3D as the old meaning :S But it gets kind of funny if you read it the wrong way.....

Well, I thought it would be 50 % 3D in 1995 ???

Or at least around 2000 ???

History repeats itself ...

Well now wait a minute - what he is saying (I think) is that 50% of console games will SUPPORT 3D. He's not saying you will have to play them in 3D, just that you can if you have a 3D tv and glasses.

I could see that happening, actually, if it's simple to add the support. Consider the PC side of things. NVIDIA's solution will work with all DirectX 9+ games, won't it? It may or may not work well but it will work. There are still 2D games running around but you could rightfully say that 90% of all PC games support 3D already.

If adding 3D support turns out to just be a matter of adding a toggle switch on a game's main menu and a little tweaking of the 2D elements in a game for consoles then yeah, they could get to 50% easy.

Back
Top Bottom